Projection screens in product photography

Name
Owen
Edit My Images
No
It's a long established practice to "light" reflective subjects like glass bottles or glossy plastic or metal surfaces by creating a nice, illuminated surface or scene that will be reflected in the object being photographed. Gradients are typically created this way, positioning a strip shaped softbox with one edge near or even touching the projection surface or "diffuser", so that the projected light on that surface creates a nice graduated fall-off across it.

_OHL4492-Website.jpg _OHL4487-Website.jpg

I think it's important to differentiate the light generator from the light source in these circumstances: the light is generated by a flash bulb or other light, however, the light source from a photographic stand-point, is the screen (and in general, the last thing the light reflected off or diffracted/diffused through before hitting the subject is the light source).

You can use a variety of materials to make projection screens, from tracing paper to specific materials manufactured by companies like Rosco, Lee and Savage. Tracing paper is cheap and can be sourced on a ~1.2m wide roll. It does have a couple of drawbacks though: it has more of texture than other materials. This is fine if it's in the background, or its reflection in the subject is out of focus. It's also more flammable. It'll withstand quite a lot of radiated heat from say a tungsten light, however show it naked flame and it'll be floating pieces of flame and ash in seconds. Frosted acrylic panels are also used for this purpose, and have the advantage of being fairly rigid at say 8mm thick , and perfectly flat. Acrylic panels are heavy though, and comparatively expensive. I use Savage Translum to make my screens. It's a durable thick white plastic material that comes on a 1.37m wide roll. It has a fine textured, almost matt surface, which is fire resistant and of course, wipe-clean. This makes it suitable for all kinds of shoots involving small controlled fire or water. The frame is made from 21mm FloPlast water pipe. It works, however, it's not as rigid as I'd like and I'd recommend either a timber frame, or a frame made of 15mm copper pipe if you're building one today.

Incidentally, I see these screens referred to as "scrims" all over the place. A "scrim" is a panel made from a (usually) black material, perforated with a fine grid of holes. It is designed to cut light levels, **without** becoming a light source: eg you can place it in front of direct sunlight, and it will cut the light level, but won't soften the shadows, by becoming a light source much larger than the distant sun. Calling these projection screens or diffusers, scrims, is not just lazy: they do the exact opposite job (apart from both screens and scrims cutting light levels).
1618147492709.pngLee 275 - Black Scrim sample

All manner of light fields can be projected onto the screen, using bare bulbs for a nice circular gradient, or a reflector with a grid to achieve a similar effect, or even a focusing system such as a projection attachment, or a simple Fresnel lens to allow more control over the shape, size, and fall-off profile of the light ball on the screen.

It occurred to me that I could use a cine-projector to project a complex light pattern onto the screen as well. In this way, I could design the light layout in Photoshop, and then just feed this image to the projector via my phone, and aim the projector at the back of the screen just like I would with a flash head. Now, of course this does have one big limitation vs a flash head: it's very dim by comparison, requiring longer exposure times. This means working in the dark, and an inability to freeze anything more than moderate motion.

I started off using the screen to produce this shot with just one Lencarta SF600 head with nothing more than some tracing paper wrapped around the glass dome projecting a nice radial gradient onto the bottle, and the water it was sitting in. The low camera angle and angle of the light result in no light from below the water's surface from reaching the camera, so the water appears opaque. I quite liked this effect.

_OHL7660-Edit-Website.jpg

and with a higher camera position (and swapping the light to the right hand side of the screen for the new bottle position), we can see some of the bottle through the water:-

_OHL7684-Edit-Edit-Wallpaper.jpg

I then added the cine-projector into the mix and an A4 acrylic mirror to reflect the scene in the projection screen into the nearside of the bottle and set up looked like this:-

_OHL9412-Website-notes.jpg

_OHL9417-Website.jpg

I worked with these clouds over the de-commissioned Magnox reactor at Llyn Trawsfynydd for a while, but later decided to go with a shot of the London City skyline I took a few years ago from the Shard.

_OHL7854-Edit-Wallpaper.jpg

I tapped the water with the handle end of a slim paintbrush to make the ripples.

At camera, I used a Nikon D850 with a 70-200 f/4 lens. This lens is a good choice for studio based table-top work like this. It is one of the sharpest f-mount lenses Nikon makes, and has a relatively near close focusing distance at 1m from the sensor (focal plane) and almost no focus breathing. 20 shots were taken using the D850's automatic focus bracketing feature where it steps through the scene from front to back taking shots. The shots were then assembled, mostly automatically in Photoshop (although Helicon Focus would do a much better job if you do this often). That stacked composite was used for the bottle, with one frame used for the water. The exposure values for all shots were f/9 for 1.3 seconds at Iso 64. The ripples are mostly frozen in place by the flash element of the lighting.

Post production work consists of the focus stacking, clean-up using the spot healing brush, and a dust-and-scratches layer pasted in to remove smaller sized blemishes, almost all of which were on the metal label.
Colour adjusted in Lightroom, shifting the blues to be more blue, and increasing the saturation on the label as backlighting always causes a reduction in saturation.

I also produced a simpler setup with the a more conventional viewpoint of a small bottle - straight on and vertical. I placed the screen vertically behind the bottle, and projected a stock image of some water glistening in the sunlight onto it.

_OHL9428-Wallpaper.jpg

As the bottle is now facing directly away from the light source, I needed something else to light the label and cap. I built this simple pinball machine around the front consisting of a white card on the right, and a gold reflector card on the left. Light from a snooted SF600 on the left creates another radial gradient on the white card opposite. This is also reflected in the gold card on the right.

_OHL7953-Edit-Wallpaper.jpg

I then added another flash behind the screen and used the warmer tungsten modelling light to introduce a colour contrast towards the bottom of the projected image

_OHL9433-Wallpaper.jpg

_OHL7956-Edit-Wallpaper.jpg

As the light on the front was unchanged, I re-used the cleaned-up label and cap from the previous image to save on the post-production. The bottle is sitting on a slab of glossy black acrylic for these shots.

One other benefit of using a cine-projector to make patterns on a screen like this is that you no longer need to rely on either a wide aperture (which may not give enough DOF on your subject) or a background very far away to render it out of focus. I can now simply dial in how out-of-focus I want the background image, at the projector. If I had, for example, some fairy lights at the back, and wanted those nice bokeh-balls I would need to place them quite far behind the subject. Now of course I could take a separate shot for the background lights, focused even further towards camera to get the maximum amount of blur, however this would also mess with the subject size (unless you use something like an £18000 Arri Signature Prime cine-lens which compensates for this sort of thing :p). Essentially it would end up being a straight-up composite. Nothing wrong with this approach of course - I routinely comp in separate shots for the light on labels, or to remove some unwanted side effect of a particular light. It's nice to have independent focus control over the background on-set though.

Also worth noting that as the background is out of focus (through either the camera focus or the projection lens focus or both) that you do not see any pixilation from what is really quite a low resolution projected image. The Optoma EH400 projector I used for these shots is "HD" resolution i.e. 1920 x1080. I also have it mounted vertically for these last shots to get the maximum amount of pixels into the scene.

If you fancy having a go at this, you can also project light, whether that be flash, or a digital projector onto a white wall behind the subject rather than making a screen. This will work for projections behind the subject where the camera angle is more or less horizontal as in the second set of images. It would be much harder if you need the projection to be overhead though. The rest of the lighting equipment could be as simple as one Speedlight. If you have a digital cine-projector already, there's a number of things you can do with it photographically, and this is a good place to start.

This is an excellent post.

You're quite right about the mis-use of the word 'scrim', a lot of people - perhaps the majority - confuse scrims with silks, I don't know where this confusion came from but it may stem from the effect that that nice Mr. Webster had on the American variant of the English language, or it may be due to the general dumbing-down and misinformation that now happens all the time, with so many people self-publishing wrong info on the web . . .

A couple of observations . . .
Front projection, as demonstrated here, can be a powerful tool. And so can rear projection, where the projector shines on to (through) a translucent surface. Not only does this produce a different effect, it also avoids the potential problem of the front subject getting in the way of the projected image.

And another useful variation can be to project through one or more glass building bricks, which of course distort the projected image dramatically, and which can also be gelled. Simply adjusting the two distances - distance from light source to block and distance from block to destination - offers a fantastic variety of different effects.

And, finally, you may want to consider putting a post as useful as this in the form of a 'resource' in the tutorial section, where it will always be visible. There's now even a sub-section for lighting tutorials:) https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/categories/photography-technique.3/add

Thanks for your effort in doing this.
Its a long read but very worthwhile and gives great food for thought

Wonderful! Thank you very much for taking the time to prepare and share this.

Quality article Owen. Thank you for sharing this valuable information.

Thank you for explaining your methods for doing this. An interesting read. :) (y)

Thanks for posting it was really interesting and I now know what a scrim is (y)

A suggestion for a really cheap diffuser/background is to use a plain white vinyl shower curtain

You're quite right about the mis-use of the word 'scrim', a lot of people - perhaps the majority - confuse scrims with silks, I don't know where this confusion came from but it may stem from the effect that that nice Mr. Webster had on the American variant of the English language, or it may be due to the general dumbing-down and misinformation that now happens all the time, with so many people self-publishing wrong info on the web . . .

Cheers Garry - don't get me started on the mis-use of "GoBO" :p

A couple of observations . . .
Front projection, as demonstrated here, can be a powerful tool. And so can rear projection, where the projector shines on to (through) a translucent surface. Not only does this produce a different effect, it also avoids the potential problem of the front subject getting in the way of the projected image.

This is all rear-projection (i.e. the projector is behind the Translum screen and the subject/camera is on the other side of it). I've also used the projector from the front, but not with products - yet: it could be an even more precise way to light specific parts of an object than say - framing shutters on a projection attachment. I could actually create a light that exactly matches the shape of some part of the object, by just drawing that in Photoshop and feeding that digital mask to the projector.

And, finally, you may want to consider putting a post as useful as this in the form of a 'resource' in the tutorial section, where it will always be visible. There's now even a sub-section for lighting tutorials:) https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/categories/photography-technique.3/add

I did look at that - and the impressive library of 22 Tutorials all created by one G. Edwards :) I felt it didn't have enough "instruction" in it to count as a tutorial , however I could beef it up a bit in that respect and create one. Incidentally, I noticed none of the tutorials had any ratings, and then I found out why when I tried to rate your latest one - there's no visible means of providing a rating...

Thanks for posting it was really interesting and I now know what a scrim is (y)

A suggestion for a really cheap diffuser/background is to use a plain white vinyl shower curtain
Yep absolutely - you'll need some sort of frame if you need it to be taut (and so provide an even flat surface for the projection), and you may need to heat it up to remove crease. You don't ways need a perfectly flat even surface though and for some applications you could use it straight outta the packet :)

Very nice post!

The difference between a scrim and a silk is not necessarily the material it is made from; it is the purpose for which it is used. The primary purpose of a silk is to provide diffusion and soften the light, and the primary purpose of a scrim is to reduce the light intensity (w/o variable power/color shift). Both functions overlap and a scrim can be made from fabric (Mathews, Wescott, etc). A small fabric scrim placed far away won't necessarily soften the light.
With hot lights scrims were typically metal screens that fit over the reflector (like a honeycomb) and were color coded w/ full/half coverage... and in stage lighting a scrim is a type of background fabric used for backlighting.

Last edited:
Fascinating read and I love the end results. I agree it would be useful in the resources section.

Just to lower the intellectual level of conversation.... I use a scrim when I clean windows. It's a piece of rough open weave linen type cloth that doesn't leave any fluff, and is great for getting rid of smears... and just to clarify, any rumours of being a domestic goddess are completely false :ROFLMAO:

Scrim is a textile term for an open weave or knitted fabric.
For some applications the size of the interstices matters (it would here).

I am not sure whether knitted or woven is used for photography scrims as I have never bought one.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Resulting images are fab.

I have no idea how you manage toretain so much knowledge.

Gaz

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Resulting images are fab.

I have no idea how you manage toretain so much knowledge.

Gaz
Cheers Gaz! The things is, I don't need to retain that much: the trick is to learn the basic principles, and everything else is extrapolated from those at the time (ok I remember certain things worked in the past but mostly, it's extrapolation). I've already forgotten for example, the exposure settings, the power levels of the lights, the angle and distance of the screen, light sources and so on.

Last edited:
It's a long established practice to "light" reflective subjects like glass bottles or glossy plastic or metal surfaces by creating a nice, illuminated surface or scene that will be reflected in the object being photographed. Gradients are typically created this way, positioning a strip shaped softbox with one edge near or even touching the projection surface or "diffuser", so that the projected light on that surface creates a nice graduated fall-off across it.

View attachment 315268 View attachment 315269

I think it's important to differentiate the light generator from the light source in these circumstances: the light is generated by a flash bulb or other light, however, the light source from a photographic stand-point, is the screen (and in general, the last thing the light reflected off or diffracted/diffused through before hitting the subject is the light source).

You can use a variety of materials to make projection screens, from tracing paper to specific materials manufactured by companies like Rosco, Lee and Savage. Tracing paper is cheap and can be sourced on a ~1.2m wide roll. It does have a couple of drawbacks though: it has more of texture than other materials. This is fine if it's in the background, or its reflection in the subject is out of focus. It's also more flammable. It'll withstand quite a lot of radiated heat from say a tungsten light, however show it naked flame and it'll be floating pieces of flame and ash in seconds. Frosted acrylic panels are also used for this purpose, and have the advantage of being fairly rigid at say 8mm thick , and perfectly flat. Acrylic panels are heavy though, and comparatively expensive. I use Savage Translum to make my screens. It's a durable thick white plastic material that comes on a 1.37m wide roll. It has a fine textured, almost matt surface, which is fire resistant and of course, wipe-clean. This makes it suitable for all kinds of shoots involving small controlled fire or water. The frame is made from 21mm FloPlast water pipe. It works, however, it's not as rigid as I'd like and I'd recommend either a timber frame, or a frame made of 15mm copper pipe if you're building one today.

Incidentally, I see these screens referred to as "scrims" all over the place. A "scrim" is a panel made from a (usually) black material, perforated with a fine grid of holes. It is designed to cut light levels, **without** becoming a light source: eg you can place it in front of direct sunlight, and it will cut the light level, but won't soften the shadows, by becoming a light source much larger than the distant sun. Calling these projection screens or diffusers, scrims, is not just lazy: they do the exact opposite job (apart from both screens and scrims cutting light levels).
View attachment 315267Lee 275 - Black Scrim sample

All manner of light fields can be projected onto the screen, using bare bulbs for a nice circular gradient, or a reflector with a grid to achieve a similar effect, or even a focusing system such as a projection attachment, or a simple Fresnel lens to allow more control over the shape, size, and fall-off profile of the light ball on the screen.

It occurred to me that I could use a cine-projector to project a complex light pattern onto the screen as well. In this way, I could design the light layout in Photoshop, and then just feed this image to the projector via my phone, and aim the projector at the back of the screen just like I would with a flash head. Now, of course this does have one big limitation vs a flash head: it's very dim by comparison, requiring longer exposure times. This means working in the dark, and an inability to freeze anything more than moderate motion.

I started off using the screen to produce this shot with just one Lencarta SF600 head with nothing more than some tracing paper wrapped around the glass dome projecting a nice radial gradient onto the bottle, and the water it was sitting in. The low camera angle and angle of the light result in no light from below the water's surface from reaching the camera, so the water appears opaque. I quite liked this effect.

View attachment 315284

and with a higher camera position (and swapping the light to the right hand side of the screen for the new bottle position), we can see some of the bottle through the water:-

View attachment 315285

I then added the cine-projector into the mix and an A4 acrylic mirror to reflect the scene in the projection screen into the nearside of the bottle and set up looked like this:-

View attachment 315286

View attachment 315287

I worked with these clouds over the de-commissioned Magnox reactor at Llyn Trawsfynydd for a while, but later decided to go with a shot of the London City skyline I took a few years ago from the Shard.

View attachment 315289

I tapped the water with the handle end of a slim paintbrush to make the ripples.

At camera, I used a Nikon D850 with a 70-200 f/4 lens. This lens is a good choice for studio based table-top work like this. It is one of the sharpest f-mount lenses Nikon makes, and has a relatively near close focusing distance at 1m from the sensor (focal plane) and almost no focus breathing. 20 shots were taken using the D850's automatic focus bracketing feature where it steps through the scene from front to back taking shots. The shots were then assembled, mostly automatically in Photoshop (although Helicon Focus would do a much better job if you do this often). That stacked composite was used for the bottle, with one frame used for the water. The exposure values for all shots were f/9 for 1.3 seconds at Iso 64. The ripples are mostly frozen in place by the flash element of the lighting.

Post production work consists of the focus stacking, clean-up using the spot healing brush, and a dust-and-scratches layer pasted in to remove smaller sized blemishes, almost all of which were on the metal label.
Colour adjusted in Lightroom, shifting the blues to be more blue, and increasing the saturation on the label as backlighting always causes a reduction in saturation.

I also produced a simpler setup with the a more conventional viewpoint of a small bottle - straight on and vertical. I placed the screen vertically behind the bottle, and projected a stock image of some water glistening in the sunlight onto it.

View attachment 315290

As the bottle is now facing directly away from the light source, I needed something else to light the label and cap. I built this simple pinball machine around the front consisting of a white card on the right, and a gold reflector card on the left. Light from a snooted SF600 on the left creates another radial gradient on the white card opposite. This is also reflected in the gold card on the right.

View attachment 315291

I then added another flash behind the screen and used the warmer tungsten modelling light to introduce a colour contrast towards the bottom of the projected image

View attachment 315292

View attachment 315293

As the light on the front was unchanged, I re-used the cleaned-up label and cap from the previous image to save on the post-production. The bottle is sitting on a slab of glossy black acrylic for these shots.

One other benefit of using a cine-projector to make patterns on a screen like this is that you no longer need to rely on either a wide aperture (which may not give enough DOF on your subject) or a background very far away to render it out of focus. I can now simply dial in how out-of-focus I want the background image, at the projector. If I had, for example, some fairy lights at the back, and wanted those nice bokeh-balls I would need to place them quite far behind the subject. Now of course I could take a separate shot for the background lights, focused even further towards camera to get the maximum amount of blur, however this would also mess with the subject size (unless you use something like an £18000 Arri Signature Prime cine-lens which compensates for this sort of thing :p). Essentially it would end up being a straight-up composite. Nothing wrong with this approach of course - I routinely comp in separate shots for the light on labels, or to remove some unwanted side effect of a particular light. It's nice to have independent focus control over the background on-set though.

Also worth noting that as the background is out of focus (through either the camera focus or the projection lens focus or both) that you do not see any pixilation from what is really quite a low resolution projected image. The Optoma EH400 projector I used for these shots is "HD" resolution i.e. 1920 x1080. I also have it mounted vertically for these last shots to get the maximum amount of pixels into the scene.

If you fancy having a go at this, you can also project light, whether that be flash, or a digital projector onto a white wall behind the subject rather than making a screen. This will work for projections behind the subject where the camera angle is more or less horizontal as in the second set of images. It would be much harder if you need the projection to be overhead though. The rest of the lighting equipment could be as simple as one Speedlight. If you have a digital cine-projector already, there's a number of things you can do with it photographically, and this is a good place to start.
This is very informative, thank you Scooter.

Back