Protection for mirrorless camera whilst mountain biking?

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
After more than 10 years shooting Canon, most of those full frame, I’ve decided to move to a mirrorless system, likely Fuji. The main motivation behind this is that my camera gear often gets left at home. I never take it out on my mountain bike because it is too big to fit in my hydration pack and too heavy.

I’m hoping a mirrorless system will change this, I’m particularly looking forward to having a small body and fast prime that I can slip into my hydration pack and whip out to take photos of the stunning scenery I’ll be riding through, or my mates riding etc.

However, I don’t want my shiny new mirrorless camera rattling around in my hydration pack with spare innner tubes, snacks, tools etc, I’d also like it to have some protection when I fall. Simply wrapping it up in my waterproof jacket is not good enough!

Is anyone else taking a mirrorless camera or even a large compact, out on their bike? I don’t need a dedicated rucksack/camera bag, I’ve already got too many, ideally just something to protect my camera in an existing rucksack.

I use a little Canon camcorder bag I got for free years ago for my GH4 and can fit a couple of extra lenses, batteries and filters in it. I'm sure you could get something similar from ebay or Amazon. That then goes in a 25 litre cycling back pack. I'll get a photo for you when I get home if that would help?

Thanks both. They’re both bigger than I’m looking for, I literally just want to take the body and a small prime lens with me.

Think Tank make a pouch system that will have what you need, I have one that can be attached to the pack in a variety of ways or carried inside.

I find it good to attach it to the straps on my chest using some small screwgate crabs, you stand a good chance of protecting it instinctively in a tumble.

Have a look at the Lowepro Dashpoint series
https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/camera-bags/?p=2&product_list_order=price

It depends on what size of camera you get

I had seen those, it is the sort of thing I use for my old compact. I'll more than likely be using the Fuji X-T20 with 23mm lens, but not too sure if they will fit in.

Think Tank make a pouch system that will have what you need, I have one that can be attached to the pack in a variety of ways or carried inside.

I find it good to attach it to the straps on my chest using some small screwgate crabs, you stand a good chance of protecting it instinctively in a tumble.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

I cycle daily, often with the camera gear on board. I treat it no different to a dslr tbh, it's no more fragile. Just get a decent camera messenger style bag, Think Tank have some nice ones. Very tough, weather resistant, padded enough to protect from a fall. Or maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-LP..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=7V6KAESF7RTMC0SA76MZ
I have something similar that will be fine when riding around town, but I need something more for getting out into the wild, where I am already carrying a rucksack with spares/tools/water etc. I need to protect the camera inside an existing bag.

I've bought an X-T2, I thought it would be more robust than an X-T20, I still need to find a pouch for it though. The closest I've found is a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20, although that is still probably too big.

I've bought an X-T2, I thought it would be more robust than an X-T20, I still need to find a pouch for it though. The closest I've found is a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20, although that is still probably too big.

It is more robust, and weather sealed too which is great for your needs. There's a Think Tank mirrorless mover 10?

Doh, that was a typo, it was the 10 I've been looking at.

Yes, in this instance I thought the better build and weather sealing would be worth the increase in weight, size and money!

If you don’t have a rocket blower, get one. Mirrorless bodies are terrible for sensor dust. would the exception of the RF probably.

You will need to do a wet clean more often but out in the field a rocket blower will do.

Last edited:
Yeah, you definitely want to be aiming the camera downward when changing lenses out in the field. Have to say though, I don't get any more dusties than I did with my dslrs, maybe because I'm more conscious of it.

If you don’t have a rocket blower, get one. Mirrorless bodies are terrible for sensor dust. would the exception of the RF probably.

You will need to do a wet clean more often but out in the field a rocket blower will do.

Yeah, you definitely want to be aiming the camera downward when changing lenses out in the field. Have to say though, I don't get any more dusties than I did with my dslrs, maybe because I'm more conscious of it.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind, I already have a rocket blower and am used to doing wet cleans, although I haven't for at least 5 years. Not even user if I have any cropped sensor swabs...

I have a Brooks saddle on my MTB and a Carradice zipped roll:

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle-packs-sqr-bags/originals-zipped-roll

This is big enough to squeeze in a small Olympus m4/3 body and 1 or 2 lenses. Because the roll can swing freely, the camera doesn't rattle around in the bag.

I ride with a dropper post, so not too keen on attaching anything to the saddle.

You'll love cleaning mirrorless in that case. No having to flip a big chunky mirror out of the way and the sensor is close so you're not digging around inside the body as much.

It’s also my first body that does a sensor shake at shutdown, hopefully that helps.

It’s also my first body that does a sensor shake at shutdown, hopefully that helps.

It does, only really good for loose dust to begin with though, and don't forget that dust still needs to be blown out! I never set my cameras to do the auto sensor clean, I just do it when I think f it. I rarely get dust bunnies, I've gotten pretty nifty at switching lenses when out, takes me only a few seconds, I can do it when walking even when I have a nagging partner and kids with me :D

Good point, I’ll remember to blow it out. To be fair I won’t be taking multiple lenses with me on the bike. The zoom is too big.

Got a little lowepro bag here that might fit can you let me know the dimensions in inches if possible ,don’t think there’s any straps but it will fit inside another bag .

Good point, I’ll remember to blow it out. To be fair I won’t be taking multiple lenses with me on the bike. The zoom is too big.
just pulled out the bag I mentioned above internal dimensions are 6.5 inches long x 3 inch width x 3 inch deep ,its a padded lowepro bag with one removable divider ?

just pulled out the bag I mentioned above internal dimensions are 6.5 inches long x 3 inch width x 3 inch deep ,its a padded lowepro bag with one removable divider ?
Thanks for looking, unfortunately that is too small I'm looking for something around 5.5" x 4" x 4".

Manfrotto and FStop Gear seem to have options that may work. The X-T2 looks tiny and rattles around in all my existing camera bags!

I'm still looking for options for taking my X-T2 out with me on bike rides, I've seen some neoprene wraps for the X-T2 on eBay, but not convinced that they will be robust enough. However everything else looks like it is a separate bag, or for a whole kit, rather than just one body and lens.

I'm going to try the Manfrotto Essential Holsters at my local camera shop, however I expect the XS will be too small and the S too big.

what sort of riding are you doing?

When you say mountain biking do you mean riding on down hill or fast sweeping single track? or do you mean you ride a mountain bike in a more cross country style or on wide gravel tracks and towpaths?

If its the former id not want to be carrying an expensive camera in a pack or otherwise, too much risk of crashing and trashing the camera or landing on a bone smashing chunk of metal. id settle for a phone or compact shot

I won't be taking it with me to the bike park. It's more for cross country type rides, fr example in the Peak District or Wales etc. So not all gentle towpaths etc, but not pushing myself on really technical trails either.

Way too big. I already have a great camera bag and mountain biking bag, I just need some camera protection to put inside my mountain biking bag.

That is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for, but from the sizing it looks wrong. I need it to be as close to 14cm x 10cm x 10 cm as possible.

I called in at Jessops today and tried a few bags for size:
Lowepro Adventura TLZ 20 II (13.5 x 8.6 x 13.5 cm) - Probably the best fit so far, but bulkier than I'd like.
Golla mirrorless bag (13 x 12.5 x 8 cm) - ever so slightly too tight with the kit lens. May have been OK with the 23mmf2. Not a brand I have ever heard of.
A Crumpler bag that was too small, although that got me looking at their website for a few more options.

That is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for, but from the sizing it looks wrong. I need it to be as close to 14cm x 10cm x 10 cm as possible.

I called in at Jessops today and tried a few bags for size:
Lowepro Adventura TLZ 20 II (13.5 x 8.6 x 13.5 cm) - Probably the best fit so far, but bulkier than I'd like.
Golla mirrorless bag (13 x 12.5 x 8 cm) - ever so slightly too tight with the kit lens. May have been OK with the 23mmf2. Not a brand I have ever heard of.
A Crumpler bag that was too small, although that got me looking at their website for a few more options.

I am fairly sure there is at least one other manufacturer that makes similar products to the Tenba BYOB........I just cannot recall which the other brand(s) are???

Crumpler do one, but it is also too big. Evoc, who make my mountain biking bag do one too, but they all seem to be based around a DSLR with multiple lenses.

Last edited:
Just use all the inserts from the 100's of camera bags we all have (if we're honest) and fashion something of the correct size to pop inside your rucksack.
Build you own style - easy to do and re-do as long as you love velcro!

Which lens are you using with the T2?
I have a TT mirrlorless mover 10 and the T2 with 18-55 attached is a perfect fit.
Will also take the T2 with 10-24 attached at a pinch.

Just use all the inserts from the 100's of camera bags we all have (if we're honest) and fashion something of the correct size to pop inside your rucksack.
Build you own style - easy to do and re-do as long as you love velcro!
All of my other camera bags were for a full size DSLR, so way too big.

Which lens are you using with the T2?
I have a TT mirrlorless mover 10 and the T2 with 18-55 attached is a perfect fit.
Will also take the T2 with 10-24 attached at a pinch.
It will be with the 23mm f2. The mirrorless mover looks like a good camera bag, but too many bells and whistles for what I need.

Back