Quadcopter with hd video

Go for it..this will give you fpv through the dji app for android or ios phones. Comes with nice clamp to attach your phone to controller.
So to use one of those nice monitors I've seen you'd need a different controller?

Yes I saw a review of a buzzflyer in the Sunday Times that had a 7 inch monitor attached to the remote control.

Bryn he will not be allowed near this one lol!
Ricardo not sure mate but guessing my z ultra will be as good as that lol

Wish the weather would take a turn for the better! Itching to try it out

Just checking out the gps hover..pretty good but did wander a bit earlier on.(click hd)

Really enjoying the phantom..getting a bit more confident with it now. On a side note how do I stand filming out the back of my garden?..Been out tonight and couple of neighbours I noticed were filming me with a phone..was just flying around at the rear of my house but tbh dont really get along with them so could see them complaining if they could?..

Really enjoying the phantom..getting a bit more confident with it now. On a side note how do I stand filming out the back of my garden?..Been out tonight and couple of neighbours I noticed were filming me with a phone..was just flying around at the rear of my house but tbh dont really get along with them so could see them complaining if they could?..

Send the dog in, retrieve phones:p

I was going to say they likely don't know it's got a camera but the new toy is a bit more obvious:LOL:. There possibly could be some issue- you have funny laws in England:D

Will have a look given I am waiting on stock and therefore not flying:(

Cheers..well if they are filming me flying surely its ok lol..just because my camera is in the air shouldnt make a difference..

Ok, bit tricky to actually find anything out- lots of stuff on flying and at what point you need a licence and then lots of stuff on CCTV and laws there. Nothing really combining the two- you just get loads of commercial operators coming up.
There's also lots of great stuff about shooting your neighbours from our friendly American cousins depending on what you type in:LOL:

So a few different laws if it's commercial and of a certain size but it seems that if they are captured as part of the scene but aren't the subject themselves then not much can be done. Suggests that you can film them/ their property using CCTV but pointing it into a bedroom and claiming you wanted to catch them drawing up their evil plans will likely not work:p

There might be some issues flying with other property that you are not in charge of in close proximity.

A few links- some more useful than others:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/safety/resources/aztopics/unmanned-aerial-systems.html

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/cctv-privacy-and-the-law.html

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-02/12/drone-journalism-legal-and-privacy

http://droneflight.co.uk/pages/summary-of-uk-legal-requirements (link that Martin provided and gives distance rules)

Did also find this- had a quick search- not sure if the advice in general is that useful- free or otherwise:LOL:
http://www.thelawforum.co.uk/forums/ask-question-here

Just found this one which seems to at lest have some relevant info:

https://www.twobirds.com/en/news/articles/2013/global/drones-privacy-implications-across-the-eu

So, that was quite tough- all too new I think for the law to have evolved much- more concerned with crashing just now so I guess filming will come. The more popular they become and the more accidents that are then bound to occur will I'm sure speed up passing any laws in what seems to be a slightly grey area in some respects at the moment.

(Edit:forgot link)

Last edited:
Many thanks for that much appreciated..I have looked but not come up with anything conclusive. i just know that if i am flying out the back of our house and my oh so happy neighbours spot the camera they will probably complain!.I have no iterest in filming them or their activities but do enjoy flying from my back garden as it goes out on to lots of open land so no need to travel miles for a brief 10 minute flight.

No probs- always good to have some info and reel off some acronyms 'mmm interesting, that's not what the CAA- the civil aviation authority says' if someone from officialdom turns up:D

But agreed, nothing that directly tackles it and searching is a bit hit and miss- commercial, neighbour disputes, CCTV, licencing- typical when you're trying to do the right thing:rolleyes:

Anyway, couple of weeks before I can get my Hubsan, looking forward to it though and then even been thinking about building my own- or translate that as buying the parts and then giving them to a mate who is an electrical engineer- that way was hoping to get one exactly as I want- Go pro carrying and 15min flight time sort of area area but we'll see- I may be a danger to anyone outside and retire gracefully:LOL:

Here's my first Vision+ flight and video - of nothing much...
Well to be honest I tried it yesterday but was so engrossed in the FPV I forgot to start recording till the end.

Cool, tho have to say I'm a bit disappointed warp speed wasn't engaged as the 'engine' noise was building and building:D. It's very stable footage though so that's impressive.

I found those Hubsan's whilst I was looking at buying a phantom, the temptation of the stabilised Gimbal, 25mins flight-time and FPV option was too much for me and I ended up buying the DJI Phantom 2 with H3-2D Gimbal, together with my GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition. The Gimbal was totally worth the extra, and I'm now looking at the H3-3D Gimbal, along with an FPV system.

Here's some of my footage, and taken in my first 5 flights so excuse the lack of action in my videos as still getting confidence, please note that any juttering noticed in the video is the encoding of my laptop and youtube post-processing, I assure you the raw footage (720p @ 120fps) is silky smooth!

Wheal Coates (nr St.Agnes)

Porthtowan

Nice vids Neil- you can certainly see the gimbal makes a big difference. I do like the phantom but am looking for something more compact for going abroad otherwise I would get one. 25min flight time is good- is that with GoPro attached as well?

For the moment just waiting on X4 to practice with and get a feel- spare batteries arrived yesterday which is good though sadly not particularly useful until Wed when X4 arrives:D

I fly for about 18mins and then return back when the 1st stage low-battery warning comes on which is set at 30%, so 25 is possible at a push and that is with the Gimbal and GoPro attached.

It's not the smallest of craft so it's a wise choice to look at something else for travels, unless you go for a full flight-case! Good luck with the X4, should be fantastic value!

Nice videos Neil..would love a vision 2! Dr-O the hubsan would be good for practice as its much harder to fly than the phantoms..much harder!

Neil- 18mins is still good, defo handy to keep some in reserve. Saw a vid yesterday of someone losing theirs in a forest as they hadn't started with full charge and realised the time in the air. They got it back after a lengthy search at least- no issues or damage- could be expensive otherwise or worse and expensive lol.

Stuart- that's good to know- I wont get too despondent then if I can't keep the X4 steady. At least I'll have an excuse for any shaky video footage:D

Saw a vid yesterday of someone losing theirs in a forest as they hadn't started with full charge and realised the time in the air. They got it back after a lengthy search at least- no issues or damage- could be expensive otherwise or worse and expensive lol.

To be honest, the iOSD + FPV combo is invaluable in this situation as it shows you the battery status whilst you're flying. I always keep returning mine to fairly close proximity so I can see the battery level indicator, once I hit 2 bars on the gauge I stay closer so I can recall quickly should I hit a low-battery stage. Until I get the iOSD and FPV I'm taking minimal chances on my £1000 in the air! lol

You'll get addicted though, and then it's a slippery slope.... I'm currently stuck in the debate between the FPV monitor or a full set of Fatshark Goggles!, decisions decisions....

Certainly a slippery slope..not touched my cameras since getting the phantom and really enjoying all the possibilities.

Nice videos Neil..would love a vision 2! Dr-O the hubsan would be good for practice as its much harder to fly than the phantoms..much harder!

I'm glad to hear this. I've been struggling with my X4 since it arrived on Friday. No matter how much I calibrate it, adjust the trims or add new props - it's very happy to just shoot off in random directions without warning.

In default form the Phantom will utilise GPS which makes flying a LOT easier as it is more stabilised, once turned off though you'll get better video if you know how to handle it! Fully-Manual on a phantom is a different world altogether!

I'm glad to hear this. I've been struggling with my X4 since it arrived on Friday. No matter how much I calibrate it, adjust the trims or add new props - it's very happy to just shoot off in random directions without warning.
chris just a thought have you checked the legs?..they are designed to "fracture" if you crash and just need a firm press to click back in place.I took off a few times when I first got mine and wondered why it was all over the place then one day noticed the legs were fractured,clicked them back in place and it was fine again.Heres a pic of mine..bit war torn as the dog chewed on most of it!You can see the right leg at the front has tape ariund where it fractures..the one on the left is how it looks fractured without tape.I ended up taping all 4 eventually as they click out of place too easily imo.

Last edited:
Even with battered props the hubsan still flies well
I will replace them once I break them completely though
But for about £10 on ebay for 32 props they are sort of cheap

Yeah they are a pretty hardy little thing..mine has teeth holes broken arms etc and still pretty stable. :D

I've not got a dog so lucky not to have that
Just the odd hard landing or crash straight into a wall or something
I still have the gaurd on
But that still doesn't stop chipped blades

The dog ate my guard but tbh I found the props stayed on better without it.It also increases your flight time by quite a bit.

Thanks for the input everyone. It would appear I've got a damaged motor, it doesn't spin up until i'm on full throttle. I guess that would explain the erratic pulling to one side. At least the parts are relatively cheap.

Back