Quadcopter with hd video

Thanks for the input everyone. It would appear I've got a damaged motor, it doesn't spin up until i'm on full throttle. I guess that would explain the erratic pulling to one side. At least the parts are relatively cheap.
Just a thought you do know that the props need to go on a certain way dont you?..cant just swap them about.

Just a thought you do know that the props need to go on a certain way dont you?..cant just swap them about.

Yup, props all fitted the correct way. I never noticed the failing motor because the wind from the working, spinning props was moving the broken one. And listening to youtube videos, there's definitely a different hum coming from mine.

ah ok mate..only reason I mentioned it was that someone on another forum has one and noticed it flying all over the place but didnt realise the props went on a certain way.

mmm....ok, so flying is a tad difficult:LOL:

supposed to have propeller guard but it didn't come - was kind of thinking that would be ifne and less weight but have spent most of the time crashing in the house and props are slightly less than perfect I was being positive so could do with getting one

think I need to go outside and work in the open- if I could stop crashing into things or going too near the ceiling then pulling the lever all the way back thus bringing it hurtling into the carpet it might be worth filming. however, at the moment the 2-3sec flights are in the filming is a lot of hassle category:D

have you looked under the packaging..the prop guard is taped on the underside of the internal box

I tried flying inside with the Phantom, it didn't end well as it pretty much looked like a tornado ripped through the living room. Outside is a completely different scenario!

My advice? Don't be discouraged and take the drone outside :)

Right, thanks guys- that was a lot better- feeling a bit more enthused now:)

no propeller mangling noises:LOL:

will persevere and try and get out tomorrow

It's a fairly well-known one that running an attached camera with wi-fi turned on (including gopros!) can over-ride the control signal once its a few metres away.
Add in the extra weight and being close to the arctic - causing magnetic field declination problems, not going to go well.

Only just found this thread. Brilliant reading & watching. Cheers guys. :cool: (i'm getting the urge to join the club, but will have to resist :rolleyes: )

Go for it!

Mmmmmmmm, my `moneyboss` would kill me :LOL:

We're having some work done in the house atm & one of the workmen is into all thing `remote`. Yesterday he brought one of those tiny quad-copters to show me & let me try it. .................crikey they are difficult to control inside! :( They sure seem like good fun though.

I think he said they were around £35 (obviously just a basic model) so maybe I need to get one of those for the kids. :D

They are a bit jittery Carl lol But they are great fun.

Although having said that I was putting my climbing skills into action earlier. Rain yesterday but dry today so first outdoor flight- was going ok, turned the camera on to get some footage and as it was going quite high I decided to go higher but the wind drifted it towards the house and with my expert ability it landed on the roof and I couldn't get it off (turned out it was upside down):oops: :$
Cue clambering out of a velux window and up onto the roof with my clip stick to retrieve the thing- the joys:LOL:. Might be a little bit more careful in future as wasn't the easiest/safest operation:D

With these things there is large potential for public liability claims, so decent insurance would seem as essential as buying the thing in the first place.

Anyone see what I think was an eight Rota they had on sons of guns on discovery some piece of kit but guess the pl liability insurance would be huge

Was it something like this?

This was posted on the other thread. I like how it says it's inexpensive lol- relative to their overall military budget then yes, I'm sure it is:D

I'm just over halfway through reading this thread, so hopefully there's more brilliant videos on the next pages :)
@Neil - I loved both your Wheal Coates & Porthtowan videos, but the last one was spoilt somewhat by the Phantom legs & blades getting in the way.
I'm hoping this is just down to you being quite new to this ariel filming and not a flaw in the Phantom's design?
Anyway look forward to seeing more of everyones videos in future.. and who knows, maybe I'll bite the dust and buy one one day. OMG!! I'd kill to take one of these on holiday to India with me!

@Dr O - You could always buy one of those special suitcases designed for the Phantom for when you go on your holiday, they are quite expensive though £180+ (don't ask why I've just been looking at suitcases, I've not even got one of these Phantom things :) )

Last edited:
Bit of both really, the props don't show at 1440p recording mode and the legs won't show if I purchase the wider landing struts, to be honest it was more of me learning the ability of my new setup rather than trying to produce high-quality videos at the time. Not to mention its quite difficult without a video feed or FPV to see what your recording, if I didn't accelerate so hard the props would be nowhere near that intrusive :) In no way do I blame the phantom, I'm still addicted with no disappointment!

This is my latest with the V+
Quite a bit of toning and exposure tweak involved.
The V+ camera actually performs better in low light IMO.

In strong sun it all seem a bit over contrasty with preset USM or something.
The bitrate is only similar to youtube's to start with.

Last edited:
That was a great video 4wd, the hazy backdrop just made the whole thing very atmospheric in my opinion, hope you'll post some more of your work soon.
You made a really nice smooth turn at the 2:45 mark, would that be done by pushing both the joysticks in the same direction?

Cheers

So busy just now with silage and hay but the actual time spent flying is only a few minutes so managed this.
(much better viewed on youtube at 720 or higher)

Last edited:
You made a really nice smooth turn at the 2:45 mark, would that be done by pushing both the joysticks in the same direction?

Cheers
Basic turning is just left stick, it's tricky to make it turn very slowly, I find it helps to rest your hand on the controller and put pressure on the stick right at the base rather than actually holding it.
Circling while facing towards a point of interest requires steady pressure on both sticks in sync, and takes a lot of practice to make anything near a perfect circle!

I now turn whilst moving the drone forwards or sideways slowly, seems to smooth the movement no end! You can always reduce the sensitivity using the controller software, it does make a difference, just not as major as I had hoped :)

Heather on the moors just starting to peak.

Last edited:
That was due to it being windy I think.
It did it (slightly) each time it had to go into the wind - making motors work harder.
With the V+ there aren't filter kits available yet unless you DIY something.
I locked it on ISO100 which will slow the shutter, in that near sunset light it probably helps a bit.

Actually looking at it again a lot of what you are seeing is rolling shutter as it pans, but hardly bad enough to warrant the slow adobe filter fix.

Last edited:
This is what I use

tumblr_n9jmg7S1KD1sb7qm1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9jmg7S1KD1sb7qm1o2_1280.jpg

:)

Back