weekly Ray's 52 Project for 2013 - Week 18 - Kind added

Loving the colours of the sweets in greed - DOF works here - I also think a wider DOF would have also worked well to get them all in focus - framing might have had to be better though.

Great shot with the angles, think the vertical poles running through the shot strenghten it and give all the other angles something to work off of, even the cables running through the shot contribute another angle :LOL:
Thanks. Well spotted on the tram cables. :)

Values the reflection have been mentioned nice interpretation of the theme though

greed nice colour in the sweets needs a tighter crop

Angles plenty of them there, would also have liked to see them straight on, I have started to count them will get back to you sometime :D

Those darn reflections. Let me know when you finish counting though!
Thanks. :)

Angles: well spotted, it's spot on (y) Just this weeks theme to do now! (y)

Thanks. Theme is done for this week, just uploading. :)

I got enough of a hint to try and fix the "value" photo. Reflections cut back to a limited degree (bit too far to reshoot with a CPL...), selective colour on the flag. I think it's an overall improvement.

8704997073_f175eab28c_b.jpg

Hi
Catchup time for me.

Value - like the idea. The edit works well and is an improvement. I think that there is probably too much going on to make it easy to focus and would have been tempted to crop it almost as a square leaving the flag top right, the drum bottom right and then up to and including the first grenade (?). That would strengthen the connection to the theme IMO by emphasising, country (flag), discipline ( the beat of the drum) and power/aggression.

Greed - good colours and well thought of. Tighter crop and more dof have been mentioned and i agree

Angles - very good shot, well worth going back from the stop. Good desaturated colour and lots in the shot to hold the interest all round. Good composition with the stairs segment slightly off centre and drawing the eye from bottom to top.(y)

Rustic -as you say, straightforward, nice composition, easy on the eye and on theme

Last edited:
Good work on rustic Ray, (y)

A simple but very effective take on the theme, the whole scene has a lovely calm feel to it, good work.

The B&W conversion and selective colour has helped a lot.

Rustic nothing to say but perfect. (y)

Last edited:
Hi
Catchup time for me.

Value - like the idea. The edit works well and is an improvement. I think that there is probably too much going on to make it easy to focus and would have been tempted to crop it almost as a square leaving the flag top right, the drum bottom right and then up to and including the first grenade (?). That would strengthen the connection to the theme IMO by emphasising, country (flag), discipline ( the beat of the drum) and power/aggression.
Thanks. It was a tricky one.
Greed - good colours and well thought of. Tighter crop and more dof have been mentioned and i agree
Cheers, might redo this with a bit of a crop at some point.
Angles - very good shot, well worth going back from the stop. Good desaturated colour and lots in the shot to hold the interest all round. Good composition with the stairs segment slightly off centre and drawing the eye from bottom to top.(y)
Thanks. :)
Rustic -as you say, straightforward, nice composition, easy on the eye and on theme
Cheers. (y)

Quick catch up, I'm afraid :D

Rustic, nice building and composition. Field full of poppies would be cracking.

Cheers.
Is it poppy season already? There's a big field of them I can see from my office at work but don't recall seeing it this year. Hm, this requires investigation.
Good work on rustic Ray, (y)

A simple but very effective take on the theme, the whole scene has a lovely calm feel to it, good work.
Thanks Iain, that was the idea. :)
Hi Ray

lovely take on Rustic....country living at it's best , very calming (y)
Cheers Lynne. I'm sure it's country living at its best, would be nice if it were mine. :LOL:
The B&W conversion and selective colour has come helped alot.

Rustic nothing to say but perfect. (y)
Thanks for the feedback. (y)
Rustic - You Nailed it mate. Well done. (y)
Cheers!
Nicely rustic its all been said :clap:
Ta muchly. :)

loving the scene for rustic, struggling a bit with teh low and wide crop though, not sure if its the 50% grass in there (great colours though) or the fact that there doesn;t seem to be enough sky... :thinking:

I'm in a minority it seems so it;s probably just me. :LOL:

(y)

Beautiful shot, agree poppies in the field would smash this shot.

Wish that was where i lived!

loving the scene for rustic, struggling a bit with teh low and wide crop though, not sure if its the 50% grass in there (great colours though) or the fact that there doesn;t seem to be enough sky... :thinking:

I'm in a minority it seems so it;s probably just me. :LOL:

(y)
All feedback is good. :) Yeah it's not the crop I was expecting, but I didn't like it as I originally intended. Dunno why.
Beautiful shot, agree poppies in the field would smash this shot.

Wish that was where i lived!
Thanks. I do too. :)

Week 18 - Kind

A bit of crowbar action here, but that seems to be the norm this week! An audience being kind to a child posing in his spiderman costume.

8730350163_00a5b7c2c5_b.jpg

Yup, crowbar indeed ;)

DOF just about right to isolate him. Nice colours and the FG people do frame him, but they are a tad distracting.

Cheers.

Ray, I’ve been lazy with comments of late, so I have even more catchup than you’ve had to do! Some really nice pics here.

Juxtaposition: really great textures, and I like the black background. The back of the image is a bit out of focus which is a bit distracting (I found the oof bits at the top of the cheese more distracting than the chalk). I had a bit of a “so what?” feeling when I looked at this (in terms of composition) but then I realised there are plenty of situations where this kind of shot is just necessary and perfect; I was thinking in my own box, not yours!

Letter: well spotted, and others have commented on the traffic light. There’s an interesting set of near-verticals here; I’m not sure if it detracts or adds to the quirkiness of the shot, but I do like it.

Electric… that’s a sad story, but this feels to me like a documentary shot, again not something you’d consider hanging on your wall. But in a 52, you’ve got to go with what you get sometimes!

Direction: yes, like the black and white, and the angles of the arms all add to the shot. As noted, a separation from the chimney might have helped (or might not, I can’t quite visualise it). I found the oof tree behind the sign distracting in its odd busyness, maybe this is where that word “bokeh” comes in?

Tacky: I didn’t like this at all when I first saw it, but it’s grown on me! IMHO it’s the diagonal set of bricks bottom left that lifts it and turns it into a composition from a snap!

Value: sharp intake of breath, OMG that’s a bit scary, is it OK making comments on these pics… then a more sensible re-think! It shows for me how an image can cause a totally irrational reaction… I wonder if the reflection could have been conquered 9at least a bit) with a polarising filter? Some suggested colour because of the couloured flag, but I’m guessing pretty much everything else would be pretty monochrome, and it seems to me likely more menacing the way it is.

Greed: yes, love the colours, pity about the elbow, otherwise not quite sure there’s enough in this shot.

Angles: I really like this! Subtle composition, muted colours and tiny blue highlights speckled about. Great catchup.

Yup, crowbar indeed ;)

DOF just about right to isolate him. Nice colours and the FG people do frame him, but they are a tad distracting.
Thanks Andy. Always a struggle to get myself to narrow down that apeture but but had to be done, maybe should have even gone down to 5.6 but never mind.
Ray, I’ve been lazy with comments of late, so I have even more catchup than you’ve had to do! Some really nice pics here.
Cheers, Chris, we all fall behind at times it seems.
Juxtaposition: really great textures, and I like the black background. The back of the image is a bit out of focus which is a bit distracting (I found the oof bits at the top of the cheese more distracting than the chalk). I had a bit of a “so what?” feeling when I looked at this (in terms of composition) but then I realised there are plenty of situations where this kind of shot is just necessary and perfect; I was thinking in my own box, not yours!
Thanks. Not too happy with it myself, but as a first go at macro it could have gone worse. Blurry at the back as you say, underestimating the DoF issue.
Letter: well spotted, and others have commented on the traffic light. There’s an interesting set of near-verticals here; I’m not sure if it detracts or adds to the quirkiness of the shot, but I do like it.
Thanks. I live in a crappy old town, nothing lines up properly. :D
Electric… that’s a sad story, but this feels to me like a documentary shot, again not something you’d consider hanging on your wall. But in a 52, you’ve got to go with what you get sometimes!
True, not a classic by any means. Being without a computer - and by extension, ability to work with photos - for several weeks hit my motivation, and it was conveniently on-topic, so meh.
Direction: yes, like the black and white, and the angles of the arms all add to the shot. As noted, a separation from the chimney might have helped (or might not, I can’t quite visualise it). I found the oof tree behind the sign distracting in its odd busyness, maybe this is where that word “bokeh” comes in?
Yeah that's been bothering me a bit since I last looked at it too. Looking back at my last few weeks photos I'm seeing a few bad calls on processing. We live and learn though. :)
Tacky: I didn’t like this at all when I first saw it, but it’s grown on me! IMHO it’s the diagonal set of bricks bottom left that lifts it and turns it into a composition from a snap!
Cheers!
Value: sharp intake of breath, OMG that’s a bit scary, is it OK making comments on these pics… then a more sensible re-think! It shows for me how an image can cause a totally irrational reaction… I wonder if the reflection could have been conquered 9at least a bit) with a polarising filter? Some suggested colour because of the couloured flag, but I’m guessing pretty much everything else would be pretty monochrome, and it seems to me likely more menacing the way it is.
That pesky polarising filter again! Next time I'm down in Essex I might have to rememebr to bring one with me and redo this shot. :D Main reason for mono TBH was the horrible mixed lighting (some sunlight, some incandescent, and a fair bit of flourescent that couldn't be fixed by flash due to it all being behind glass.
Greed: yes, love the colours, pity about the elbow, otherwise not quite sure there’s enough in this shot.
Thanks.
Angles: I really like this! Subtle composition, muted colours and tiny blue highlights speckled about. Great catchup.

Thanks for taking the time, that was quite the catch up. :)

rather liking the starburst from the flash above his head - not ideal composition, but some shots you don't have time to frame and instinct has to kick in...... Focus spot on though, and DOF working well for you.

I don;t like the 'blob bottom right - sure that could be cropped out.

Kind, as already said it's a shame about the foreground distractions but he is really getting centre stage with the parent paparazzi

Kind - an unusual shot in that the main subject has his back to the camera and the watching crowd are all oof but the smile of the lady on the left rescues it.
I think that it could be improved by cropping out a lot of the right, up to the lady in red/white, cropping the bottom to lose that thumb and cropping the top to lose that dark bit upper left

Ray: rustic is calm and peaceful as others have said. I do think the crop is a bit of a problem though; the division between the grass at the bottom and the rest of the shot comes pretty much half way up. Would it work better to lower that division just a bit and get more sky?

Kind: I don't vare about the crowbar, I do like the shot. It's a pity about the flash, but otherwise great colours on the subject, well in focus, everyone looking at him or her... nice!

Back