Ready to update to Big Sur??

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all, Hope everyone is staying safe?

I have a 2020 iMac 27” which is currently on Catalina, but as it’s now been a good while since the release of Big Sur & time for bugs to be ironed out, I am now hearing very positive things so I’m now thinking it time to update it...

But I want to ask, aside from the obvious of making sure I have all important things backed up & a time machine ect.. is there anything I should be aware of? It’s first time iv done a major macOS upgrade & just want to check there isn’t anything else Mac system wise, I should be aware of?

Should I remove external drives?

Also I primarily use my iMac for photography & using Lightroom Classic & occasionally Photoshop, now as far as I know these are all running fine on Big Sur, but is there also anything separate I need to do for these specifically aside from again the normal backups? Will my Lr catalog files stay where they are when it updates or do I need to re add the

Many Thanks :)

Best of luck with Big Sur. I had a couple of days with it and hated the way things worked, never mind looked. Seems to me to be like an iPad but on a big screen with a mouse and keypad. You may like it, I definitely did not. A couple of programs I tried to install would not have it, kept coming up saying I did not have permission to open the ***** app. something to do with code signing and I just could not be bothered to go through al the hoops to get a couple of programs running. Rolled back to my previous OS and all is hunky dory again.

I've tried to install it a few times but keep getting a message saying there isn't enough disk space - apparently it's a common problem. I'll stick with Catalina I think.

Ahh thank you both, in that case I might stick with Catalina for a bit longer then aha :)

Not had any issues, I installed it a few days after release.

Some of the ui changes aren’t to my taste, but overall it’s fine.

I updated my 2016 iMac to Big Sur around Christmas time - not had any problems at all - kept my MacBook on Catalina so far in case I hit any problems but I haven't. To be honest I've not noticed much difference between the two.

Last edited:
My 2020 iMac is running Big Sur and it's fine.

All the MS Office apps are fine, as are Adobe. Chrome works as it should, but I do have an issue with a couple of my Amateur Radio apps, but I think that's down to the driver that turns a USB port into a serial interface, which now needs to be upgraded, but I can't find one.

Been on it for about 4 weeks no. No real problems, just getting used to new looking things.

I upgraded my 2017 iMac to Big Sur a month or so ago, no problems. I had already re-installed my old 32-bit Lightroom 6.14 onto the old 2009 iMac running High Sierra in order to keep that going. I've not had any issues at all.
@Jelster Silicon Labs has released a new driver to run in Big Sur - check it out (v6.0). My new Mac Mini M1 arrives today, to be dedicated to radio use, so I'm banking on the new driver as I run MacLoggerDX, JTDX , Skookum Logger and a few other radio apps, and my old white MacBook can't handle some of the newer releases of some apps.

Been running big sur for a while as I'm on the Beta program. There were a few niggles early on but I've had no problems for months now

Been running big sur for a while as I'm on the Beta program. There were a few niggles early on but I've had no problems for months now
Same here, no issues at all.

UPDATE.....

This morning I took the plunge and everything is up and running all good :)

In fact, I’m really like the styling of Big Sur, it’s seem a lot more streamlined and smooth!

So eventually I got a Big Sur sorted after it targeted my hard drive to install to rather than fusion drive. It took ages to boot then after some time with Apple, we formatted and restarted from there. Touch wood all been fine since. I guess with most / all computers you have to be prepared to format and reinstall from time to time. Thankfully my time machine worked well.

I’ve been using it since release and have had zero issues with it. I actually love the way it looks and operates, feels very modern. But then I also like the iPad and iPhone styling so maybe that’s why!

Installed it 2 weeks ago and then transferred everything over from time machine, no problems.

if you use time machine to back it up - then now could be the best time to upgrade the drive.

Well I installed it today to an external SSD just to have a look and I hit the roadblock pretty quickly. WD Paragon NTFS driver is toast. It pays to double check before committing to it.
I did the same, installed on an external SSD to have a play. From a designers point of view Big Sur is a nightmare. I currently have Mojave installed and it works great, a fully mature .14.6 OS that does everything I want / need.

For those that are running Big Sur, what is your fonts drop down list like, bet it is a nightmare, mine had loads of foreign fonts listed and loads of unusable ones as well. The most annoying thing is there is no way to delete them like you can on Mojave.

Back