Recommend a good Single Malt

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to pick up a good quality Single Malt for a friends birthday. Something around the £50 mark, can you get something good for that price :shrug:

I don`t drink a lot of Whisky, but if I have the odd glass then I like Oban.

Yes, you can get a nice whisky for £50 and also for less.

Do you know what sort of whisky your friend likes? There are so many with very different tastes.

I'm keen on the peaty Islay malts, but they are not to everyone taste.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Bowmore 18 year old are excellent, but my current favourite is Ardbeg Corryvreckan, but thats just my view.

Dave

My preference would be for Highland Park but if he likes Laphroaig he'll probably like Talisker too.

If he likes Laphroaig, and trust me on this, he will absolutely adore Ardbeg Corryvreckan :love:

I never thought I'd find an Islay malt I liked more than Laphroaig, but I was bought a bottle of this Ardbeg and it's simply stunning :) Not for the faint hearted though - it's 57% ;)

Agree completely, Paul.

Visited Islay last September and did tastings at Bowmore(the 18 year is brilliant), Laphroaig, Lagavulin, but it was the Corryvreckan that was, to my taste, miles ahead.

Can't wait to go back to Islay next year.

Dave

I've wanted to do the Islay distillery tour for years. Keep promising myself that I'll do it but never seem to get round to it :( You've just given me the incentive to get my arse up there :)

If he likes Laphroaig, and trust me on this, he will absolutely adore Ardbeg Corryvreckan :love:

I never thought I'd find an Islay malt I liked more than Laphroaig, but I was bought a bottle of this Ardbeg and it's simply stunning :) Not for the faint hearted though - it's 57% ;)

Gonna have to seek a bottle of this out for myself, I would have recommended Laphroaig or Highland Park but I'll defer to someone who has tasted better.(y)

You won't be disappointed Martin, as long as you like the Islay's ;)

Another recommendation for Highland Park here - they malt their own barley and dry it over peat fired kilns. That coupled with the quality of the local water makes for an exceptionally nice dram :)

For an distinctive Islay malt in a very distinctive bottle try Bunnahabahain. It is pronounced something like Bunnahavin until you're pished. Had a tour of the distilliery about 10 years back. Nectar (y)

For an distinctive Islay malt in a very distinctive bottle try Bunnahabahain. It is pronounced something like Bunnahavin until you're pished. Had a tour of the distilliery about 10 years back. Nectar (y)

Think that one has an explanation of the name on the back of the bottle, Islay malts are the best IMHO, must get over to the island sometime, it's really not that far to go for me, although leaving may be more difficult.;)
Ordered a bottle of the other stuff today, hopefully it'll be here for the weekend.

Hi Andy

My favs, Inchgower Single Malt Clicky linky maybe £60-70 for a 22yr old

Only 1% of the malt whisky produced is sold as single malt, the remaining whisky is used in the Bell's, White Horse and Johnnie Walker blended whiskies.

Last edited:
Back