Resizing quailty

Edit My Images
No
When i resize a image smaller the picture looses its touch and looks poor. Can anyone explain why it does it? It makes my photography look rubbish on my website.

There are less pixels, so the image looks less sharp.

What size are you resizing to, using what software and are you sharpening after?

You need to sharpen after resizing.

If you're resizing using photoshop you can raise the resolution accordingly which will retain some of the finer details rather than losing quality. Best wishes.

Resolution doesn't matter for viewing on screen, 800 x 600 pixels is going to keep the same detail at 72 pixels per inch or at 300 pixels per inch as there are still 800 x 600 pixels.

If you do want to change the resolution for printing in most software it is in the same place as resizing.

Try this after resizing.

To add............photo is not mine, I gave the same advice to somebody else using their shot.

Sharpaction.jpg

Do you reduce it all in one go?
I've always reduced it several times by 80 or 90 percent until it gets to the physical size I want it.
What size in mb is the original photo?

Do you reduce it all in one go?
I've always reduced it several times by 80 or 90 percent until it gets to the physical size I want it.
What size in mb is the original photo?

That used to be good practice, however in the later versions of photoshop they improved the resizing algorithms so there shouldn't be much advantage to doing that now.

That used to be good practice, however in the later versions of photoshop they improved the resizing algorithms so there shouldn't be much advantage to doing that now.
I don't think he said what he's using.
You may be right. It may not make too much difference these days but You get into habits over the years.
I just tried both ways but can't see much difference. You'd need a very fine image with fine crossed lines or something to try it.
I'll make one when I get ten minutes and do an experiment

I did the experiment.
I downloaded an image used for testing printers full of fonts and crossed lines of all different sizes.
I reduced it 6 times at 80% each time and then one time at 16% ( which is about the same reduction) The difference between the two was negligible and wouldn't be discernable to the human eye.

Back