Returning to photography

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Its been a few years since I sold up all my Canon 70D and lenses but Im missing a proper camera after using my phone for family shots. Question is what are people now buying? It was always Canon and Nikon with a little Sony and others behind but I feel the game has changed a little. I also used to own a Sony NEX7 with lenses which I got on really well with.

With a limited budget of around 500 what would people recommend as a return to the game either new or second hand? Body and a simple lens to start and then I can pick up other lenses later. My photography would be a mixture of people and landscape in the first instance.

Thanks in advance all

Mark

For the budget I'd recommend the A6300. It's a cracking camera and you should be able to find one with a basic lens for £500. I was in the same boat a few months back and I've been very impressed with the progress Sony have made with mirrorless.

Personally I would go for a second hand Nikon body with a Af-s35mm f/1.8 and an Af-s 55-200 f/4-5.6.

You could get a nice little set up with two basic but solid lenses to cover the 'people' element well within your budget. I'll be honest though - I know nothing about landscape and what would be best on that front.

Do you have a preference for FX or DX?

The game has changed, and if you want mirrorless then you might get a used Sony A7 + 28-70 or 50 f1.8 in that budget. Alternatively if you prefer a classic DSLR then the Nikon D600/610 + 50 f1.8 or even a 28-105D might now be feasible.

Thanks all for your comments. I'm really not too fused between FX or DX, I was impressed with the NEX7 and that its smaller form gave me more space to carry other kit. Its really a matter of bang for buck. I do like the idea of full frame but recognise that might be pushing things a little on my (flexible) budget. I would have steered more towards a Canon or Sony setup only out of familiarity. I'll keep scouting about to see what I can get my hands on.

For the budget I'd recommend the A6300. It's a cracking camera and you should be able to find one with a basic lens for £500. I was in the same boat a few months back and I've been very impressed with the progress Sony have made with mirrorless.

Why not the A6000? Between the 6000 series the image quality is basically the same. Unless there's a need for the additional features then the A6000 is just as good for photos and can get one used (based on price on here) for a little over £200 leaving nearly £300 for lenses.

I would go for a mirrorless like Fuji.
Many also recommend Sony but I don't like them as a company so think everything they make sucks lol.

so think everything they make sucks lol.
But clearly everything they make doesn't suck so I can't imagine any good reason for saying that.

I'm dropping a couple of my watches in the non photography sales posts in the hope someone might fancy a trade/px for a body or kit. Will save me selling and increase my glass budget.

For what it's worth, when I don't fancy lugging the FF setup about, I have a Nikon D7100 with 10-20mm Nikkor F4.5 + 35mm F1.8. A setup like this would give you landscapes and portraits (i.e. 35mm is approx 50mm on DX) and probably wouldn't be far off your budget.

Used Nikon D750... no brainer really. Streets ahead of what you had in every department ;)

There's a Sony A7 and 28-70 for sale in the classifieds that would be in your budget. Can also adapt manual lenses cheaply, if you have any.

Back