Ricoh GR III Owners Thread

Well, having read the posts, I am none the wiser really - what I wanted to know is have Ricoh fitted and seals to the extending lens and made it weatherproof/dustproof. I am aware that with past models there was an issue with dust ingress (as with other extending lens cameras)

I`ve got the GRII but will be keeping it in a case, on another forum one member says using Snap mode might help keep the dust out.

I’ll have a look for some of my high ISO files Mark.

I know when I was sussing it out, I think I shot accidentally at 6400. I know I shot a fair bit at 3200 too. I thought I’d capped the ISO at 1600 but obviously hadn’t.

Well, having read the posts, I am none the wiser really - what I wanted to know is have Ricoh fitted and seals to the extending lens and made it weatherproof/dustproof. I am aware that with past models there was an issue with dust ingress (as with other extending lens cameras)

No dustproofing/weatherproofing, though it has a dust removal function which uses the shake reduction to shake the sensor. Not sure where any dust goes. Time will tell; my original GR went 5 years before I had an issue with dust, and I was living in the Middle East most of that time, and took the camera everywhere with me, often just slung in a pocket or in the tank bag on my motorcycle.

I've already lost the blue lens ring; I have seen on several forums that losing lens rings on the GRIII seems to be a common problem. Anyone else lost theirs?

Last edited:
No dustproofing/weatherproofing, though it has a dust removal function which uses the shake reduction to shake the sensor. Not sure where any dust goes. Time will tell; my original GR went 5 years before I had an issue with dust, and I was living in the Middle East most of that time, and took the camera everywhere with me, often just slung in a pocket or in the tank bag on my motorcycle.

I've already lost the blue lens ring; I have seen on several forums that losing lens rings on the GRIII seems to be a common problem. Anyone else lost theirs?
At least (AFAIK) Ricoh lenses don’t suffer from flies crawling into them unlike Canon’s
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/04/removing-fly-from-weather-sealed-canon-70-200mm/:exit:

How is the GR3's dynamic range compared to the GR2 or more importantly something like a Fuji XT2?
I've loved and used my GR2 for 5 years now, but tend to take my XT2 with 16mm for more 'important occasions' as I know I can do more in post - pulling sky detail etc. If the GR3 can give me the same level of dynamic range as the XT2 it would be great.

Ricoh fanboy checking in to this thread. Thanks @sphexx above for the Don Springer tip. I like him.

My GR gets used everyday (the GR1s, GRD, GXR mostly sit on the shelf) and the GRII didn’t tempt me but the GRIII is definitely calling loud and clear. I reckon I can hold out for a month or two but then the inevitable will happen.

Went out with the guys from Ricoh on Friday (from Wex near Aldgate) for a photowalk and opportunity to try out the GRiii. Bloody lovely piece of kit and very glad I have one on pre-order - just waiting for more uk stock to arrive with Wex.

Controls very intuitive and image quality excellent. Quite suprised at how expensive the accessories are though - £70 for a case, £50 for a battery, bit steep!

One feature we did make use of during the three hour walk - charging via USB-C from a portable battery pack (which i carry anyway for my phone) - very handy given the relatively poor battery life on the camera itself.

Went out with the guys from Ricoh on Friday (from Wex near Aldgate) for a photowalk and opportunity to try out the GRiii. Bloody lovely piece of kit and very glad I have one on pre-order - just waiting for more uk stock to arrive with Wex.

Controls very intuitive and image quality excellent. Quite suprised at how expensive the accessories are though - £70 for a case, £50 for a battery, bit steep!

One feature we did make use of during the three hour walk - charging via USB-C from a portable battery pack (which i carry anyway for my phone) - very handy given the relatively poor battery life on the camera itself.
Accessory prices are always high, not just for Ricoh, aren’t they? I guess justifiably because they sell so few relative to numbers of cameras. Third party batteries have been readily available for the previous models and it is so handy to be able to top up with usb, perhaps in the car or bag when travelling :)

Accessory prices are always high, not just for Ricoh, aren’t they? I guess justifiably because they sell so few relative to numbers of cameras. Third party batteries have been readily available for the previous models and it is so handy to be able to top up with usb, perhaps in the car or bag when travelling :)
True about volume of accessories sold. But seem to recall getting the leather case for the GRii at around half the price of this new GRiii one. Won't grumble too much though - it is a lovely case.

True about volume of accessories sold. But seem to recall getting the leather case for the GRii at around half the price of this new GRiii one. Won't grumble too much though - it is a lovely case.
Yes, it is what it is :) so ...
What's the use of worrying?
It never was worth while, so
Pack up your Ricoh in your old cam-bag,
And smile, smile, smile. :):):)
(
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/chapter-and-verse-the-surprising-story-of-the-song-pack-up-your-troubles-in-your-old-kit-bag-2124620.htmlj

Edit: to remove white space.

Last edited:
How many shots are people getting per battery in real life use on the GRIII?
Any 3rd party batteries available yet? If so, anyone using them?

Having used a GRII in the past I quite fancy giving the III a go but really don't like the idea of spending another £100 for a couple of spare batteries.

I prefer the original. Regardless of the PP, it is interesting/amusing that at first glance he seems to be bouncer/doorman rather than a tailor :)

Last edited:
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows were a Ricoh GR screen replacement can be purchased? Have seen a few on eBay, but not too sure if they're official parts. Recently damaged the screen on mine unfortunetly, so after a replacement. Thanks.

How many shots are people getting per battery in real life use on the GRIII?
Any 3rd party batteries available yet? If so, anyone using them?

Having used a GRII in the past I quite fancy giving the III a go but really don't like the idea of spending another £100 for a couple of spare batteries.
I be intrested in knowing this as well, very tempted by a 3.

Don’t know about the GR3 but Ricohs are generally very tolerant of 3rd party batteries.

Back