Robs 52 2010. Weeks 10, 11 & 12 - Chemistry, Candid & Produce

I like this one Rob. I also agree with Foggy that I would like to see a bit more of the figure. Love the blues.

Ian.

I like the blue, but as others have said if it had thrown a little more light on the figure it would have been even better (y)

i really like this , love the blue light from the clock, it casts great shadows on the little figure, especially on the chest where it was carved

top stuff :D

Nicely crowbarred in:D, the blue works really well I just wish I could see more of the figure because I'm nosey.

not really crowbared Rob... I get the present... I hope that clock isn't that blue all the time... how do you ever sleep :D... I think it works well, and the figure fits in nicely.

I like how the symmetry of the clock and the light contrasts with the figure. I also like that little bit of red in the figure - adds a nice bit of interest.
The only thing I would pick up on - and it's a very minor point - is how dark the shadow part of the figure is.

Well I can’t see much of a crowbar in evidence there!
You’ve got present time and a present in the shot.(y)

The blue glow from the clock is very effective and I love that little figure. There’s something very lifelike about the pose. At a quick glance I thought you’d merged in a shot of a real person next to the clock.
Not sure where the red reflection on his hand is coming from, but I think it definitely adds something to the shot.

:clap: Not a thing I’d change about this. I love it just the way it is, even down to the little flares in the lighting from the clock.

Nice blue light. :)

another cracking shot, lighting from the clock is excellent really works well for me (y)

Liking the strong blue here Rob. Makes the figure intriguing.

Another one that puts me to shame:)You also have come up with a good take on the theme and carried out a good idea very well.Reminds me of a kids character called Morph I think:thinking:...Mick

The blue light from the clock works well, and the figure beside it really adds something to it. Nice take on the theme :)

I like this one Rob. I also agree with Foggy that I would like to see a bit more of the figure. Love the blues.

Ian.

I like the blue, but as others have said if it had thrown a little more light on the figure it would have been even better (y)

Apologies for the late replies to everyone.

:ty: very much for all the positive comments, they are appreciated and I've taken onboard the suggestions about the figure.

Cheers, Rob

This is my take on people. Shot at the National Memorial Arboretum which holds the The Armed Forces Memorial, which is a stone structure made up of two curved and two straight walls.

The names of all those who have given their lives since World War II are engraved in Portland stone panels on each wall.

Cheers, Rob

They died serving their country. We will remember them.

I like this one a lot. It is a very clever take on the theme. I like the way the names on the right are so legible, but I think it may have had more impact with a landscape picture rather than square and the names stretching further back into the distance on the left.

Jenny

Very nice and heart felt photo, Well done

Thankyou John.

I like this one a lot. It is a very clever take on the theme. I like the way the names on the right are so legible, but I think it may have had more impact with a landscape picture rather than square and the names stretching further back into the distance on the left.

Jenny

Appreciate the comments Jenny. I may try a re-crop at some point. I was struggling with the glare off the stone........time to spend "more" money on a polarizer! Gets expensive this hobby does:help:

Great idea, very well executed and a very powerful image. (y)

Cheers for the positive comments Scott.

Very sombre and thought provoking shot. Would have liked to see it a bit wider to get the scale of the thing over.

Really love the originality. I had considered submitting a shot of a row of graves that extended out of shot but i think yours works better. I do think shooting it in landscape might have worked better though. :)

I like your take on Present, The figure on the own could have been a slight crowbar but combined with the clock and explanation it fits perfectly the theme. The blue looks great but agree I would like to have seen more of the figure.

I really like People, it's something I would never have thought of but fits the theme perfectly and also carries the message that every loss is a real person. Very good.

Like it Rob - very interesting and different take on the theme. I think I agree about the landscape crop, rather than square, but know exactly what you mean about having to crop a little bit to remove something...(had the same problem with my Week 7 effort!).

The only other thing I'd change (and this is a bit picky) would be to have the name which is exactly horizontal dead centre in the frame, vertically (if you can follow that!), it looks to be a little lower than centre (I'm referring to Dickinson Jr).

Well done though mate.

Really like your people shot Rob. Agree with Jenny about trying it in landscape to get an idea of the sheer number of names.

Does it look any better in B&W? (It looks fine as it is - was just curious)

Ian.

An excellent idea and well shot Rob. Clear, well defined. I think a landscape shot would have worked nicely too.

Very simple, direct, and moving. I like the vertical format because it shows more of the largest names, and more of the perspective line as they stretch away to infinity, than a landscape format might do. It certainly draws me right into the picture.

Very sombre and thought provoking shot. Would have liked to see it a bit wider to get the scale of the thing over.

Thanks Darren. I will try a re-crop before the weekend, hopefully....

Really love the originality. I had considered submitting a shot of a row of graves that extended out of shot but i think yours works better. I do think shooting it in landscape might have worked better though. :)

Cheers Rich. I was trying to make myself think a little more for this shot.

I like your take on Present, The figure on the own could have been a slight crowbar but combined with the clock and explanation it fits perfectly the theme. The blue looks great but agree I would like to have seen more of the figure.

I really like People, it's something I would never have thought of but fits the theme perfectly and also carries the message that every loss is a real person. Very good.

Appreciate your comments Dave. Agreed about the figure being a little dark and the people one works quite well I think (other than the landsacpe issue!)

Hi rob, i like your take on week 7, although i agree i would like to see it in landscape or bit further back to see the scale of the wall.

Cheers Martin. Good point about moving back a little further. In never really thought about that point of view, had got this shot stuck in my head. Must remember to try more options!

Like it Rob - very interesting and different take on the theme. I think I agree about the landscape crop, rather than square, but know exactly what you mean about having to crop a little bit to remove something...(had the same problem with my Week 7 effort!).

The only other thing I'd change (and this is a bit picky) would be to have the name which is exactly horizontal dead centre in the frame, vertically (if you can follow that!), it looks to be a little lower than centre (I'm referring to Dickinson Jr).

Well done though mate.

Thanks Dave. I might try your suggestion about straightening the name. It may help with the sense of scale.

Really like your people shot Rob. Agree with Jenny about trying it in landscape to get an idea of the sheer number of names.

Does it look any better in B&W? (It looks fine as it is - was just curious)

Ian.

Thanks Ian. I did try it in B&W but just thought that the muted sandy tones looked better. In B&W it came out very flat looking, if that makes any sense?

An excellent idea and well shot Rob. Clear, well defined. I think a landscape shot would have worked nicely too.

Appreciate your comments John.

Very simple, direct, and moving. I like the vertical format because it shows more of the largest names, and more of the perspective line as they stretch away to infinity, than a landscape format might do. It certainly draws me right into the picture.

Thankyou for your kind words Tracer.

Cheers, Rob

A powerful and very diffrent take on the people theme. I like it a lot, and a cracking bit of perspective too. :)

Hi Rob,

I'm another who would have liked to have seen a landscape crop on this in order to convey an endless list of names.
However, I think this is a good take on the theme, very well defined.

Lovely People shot Rob - nice and sharp where it needs to be. Agree with the comments about being better suited to landscape though.

Right I'm back! Sorry but not had the chance over the last couple of weeks so behind the times, but here's both Mechanical and Play.

Mechanical - is fairly self-explanatory, although did have to climb a fence to get to it!

Play - took the inspiration from Guitar Hero, so I had a little fun at the same time!

C&C always welcome.

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob, i seem to have missed your thread so far. Each shot you have posted have plenty of merits, what is clear with the majority is they are pin sharp and nice clean images. I think your people shot stands out the most or me. Keep it up mate(y)

A lot of excellent shots in your thread. :clap::clap:

Mechanical - the tap is beautifully sharp against the superb background bokeh. Weren't you tempted to turn it on? :LOL:

Play - I love this one! I might perhaps prefer the guitar head a tiny bit closer to the head as there feels a bit too much empty space in the middle, but without trying it it is difficult to tell. :clap::clap:

the tap is pin sharp, nice muted background too, perfect DOF..

like 'play' that blue is fabulous.. my daughter is a guitar hero geek, she would approve very much also :)

Slipped through the net!! Just checked out your posts so far, impressive!

Chopped: great shot, nice idea

Speed: tack sharp! - wonderful colour and capture

People: wonderful, good dof and great sentiment

Present: great shot! - crowbar??? really, great little flares and colour

Mechanical: nice sharp clean and great dof.

Play: awesome, love it!!!

that brings me uptodate - well done, great ideas and images ;)

Really like the lighting for the play shot, Rob. It almost looks computer generated.

Mechanical is clearly that, wonderful definition too.

Now play looks a lot of fun... both in what you were doing and the PP (y)

Hi Rob,

Nice DoF on the mechanical shot but the play shot stands out the most for me.

Very clever take on the theme and a great silhouette.

Well done!!

Welcome back:)

Mechanical - nice'n'sharp. I like that you've got the tap at an angle.

Play - Nice! I like the composition, the silhouette and the colour of the background.

Rob - yet more superb efforts!

Mechanical - I didn't like this much when I first saw it - but it has really grown on me. I quite like the simplicity of it. It was a difficult theme. I think the bokeh is nice on this one and makes the shot!

Play - simply brilliant. Colours, originality, and absolutely bang on the theme.

You're really making that D90 work for you and producing some really nice, original takes on the themes :clap:

Love the colour in Play Rob - and very Guitar Hero, would not look out of place in an advert for it.

Love the way the background melts away for the mechanical shot and nicely framed to the right.

The play shot looks like it could be on the Box of the Guitar Hero. (y)

hi rob just having a look at what you have been upto i do like your take on people from the arboretum i did attempt something similar but didn't get anywhere near the results you have nice image,mechanical nice simple image that that really works well i wasn't too sure what to think when i first looked at your play theme but looking at it a few times it's a really good image something a bit different (y)

Play is a corker Rob. Lovely silhouette and colours.

Hope you catch up all the way as there are some good shots in your 52.

Ian.

Oh dear having to play catch up again!

Chemistry - This has been an absolute nightmare :bang: and has meant that the others have been held up too. So it may be a crowbar but it shows the chemical reaction between rust and moisture underneath a railway bridge. This was just a random shot I took recently and wasn't specifically for this purpose, however quite fitting as it feels like I've taken a 199 things to get a chemistry shot! This theme nearly finished me off :puke:

Candid - On a walk around a local forestry centre, we bumped in to this little fellow....

Produce - My take on the theme is me producing this very picture on TP! Still unsure on the best way to utilise the SB600 flash, this was angled and bounced but still need practice to get the best out of it.

Cheers, Rob

Last edited:
Rob - love the Chemistry shot, something really different from the norm. Some great colours & textures in there. The number just finishes it off nicely and the composition is spot on. Glad the bridge yielded a result (I had a walk down there with Rob a few days back - but the light was all wrong).

As for Candid - that's a great bird shot, it's very difficult to get them when they're still and Robins are so tiny so you can't be miles away. Good use of the 70-300 (y)

Last edited:
Appreciate your comments Dave.

Still couldn't get the lighting I was looking for the railway bridge sign as the sun wasn't playing ball, but I think it turned out ok regardless.

Cheers, Rob

Chemistry, very, very clever and you've given me an idea for my reshoot this week.
Candid, can't beat a good picture of a robin and that's a good picture.
Produce, like this lots, clever interpritation, nice DOF.

Catch up time again Rob.

Chemistry - I like this. Maybe a little tweak with the levels/curves to bring up the blacks and make it a little punchier!

Candid - Great little bird. Nicely composed.

Produce - Like the DOF and the fact that you can recognise your previous shots on the screen.

Back