Robs 52 for 2010 - Week 17 Peace

Week 14 Shoot

It's only just dawned on me, I took a picture last Sunday that fits the catagory perfectly !! I've been wandering round all week desperately trying to think of what to do and the photo has been sat on my HDD all along for the last 7 Days. PP consists of a little sharpening, some NR and the use of a blue filter. I like the overall effect and I really like the shot even if it does look a little soft I can promise you it isn't, not too sure why the '800' version looks that way.

4511982236_8a630811b7_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, nice one! I like the sharpness in the colours! Good take on the theme as well. I am curious though as to what was being shot?

I will upload the photo when I am next on my main computer and show you :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Nice one Rob, you should have waited until this weekend, I have gotten rid of the bush on my head lol (y)

Works very well Rob... the tones work very well in this, nicely composed... I have to say, I'd love to know what was being shot too...

Nice shot Rob, really crisp.

Has a very slight HDR feel to it, maybe just the rich colours.

Well done

like the blue tones on this.. as said, nicely composed.. does leave you wanting to see what was being shot :)

Ah, nice one! I like the sharpness in the colours! Good take on the theme as well. I am curious though as to what was being shot?

I will upload the photo when I am next on my main computer and show you :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Nice one Rob, you should have waited until this weekend, I have gotten rid of the bush on my head lol (y)

Works very well Rob... the tones work very well in this, nicely composed... I have to say, I'd love to know what was being shot too...

like the blue tones on this.. as said, nicely composed.. does leave you wanting to see what was being shot :)

Nice shot Rob, really crisp.

Has a very slight HDR feel to it, maybe just the rich colours.

Well done

Thanks guys, I'm really stoked with it. I'll admit it was nowhere near that blue in there but the light was terriffic and I'm not too sure what I did in PS but I found some 'filters' and applied a blue one, it just seemed to work. I guess this means 'single' will be a dead loss.

S8 - join in, it's great fun and really stretches you (not that you need stretching ;) )

As has been said already, the colour tones really make this shot (y)
All that muted blue, with just a few warm tints in the boxes and the yellow/orangey parts against the wall.
Using the blue filter to bring that out has worked brilliantly.

The composition works for me too.
I know your shooter is probably too far to the right of the frame and part of his back is chopped off, but this is one of those cases where I think breaking the rules has really worked.
In fact the more I look at this the more I like it.

Thanks to S8 too, for sharing the shot of the desk.

Well done, Rob. Great colours as everyone has said and an interesting take on the theme. Thanks, S8 for clarifying the situation. Still not sure why you were shooting that :thinking:

Jenny

It was a workshop that has stood empty for a number of years, why not? :p

Great colours and lots of interesting shapes and textures to look at. (y)

As has been said already, the colour tones really make this shot (y)
All that muted blue, with just a few warm tints in the boxes and the yellow/orangey parts against the wall.
Using the blue filter to bring that out has worked brilliantly.

The composition works for me too.
I know your shooter is probably too far to the right of the frame and part of his back is chopped off, but this is one of those cases where I think breaking the rules has really worked.
In fact the more I look at this the more I like it.

Thanks to S8 too, for sharing the shot of the desk.

Thanks guys, appreciate you dropping by again this week. I'm going to have to admit to this being a 'more luck then judgement' shot, I really wish I could say I composed it deliberately but I didn't. Hey, it works though and people appear to genuinely like it (y) I'm still trying to work out how all that blue fails to make a cold image, is it just me or is it kinda warm.

(Struggling this week, I think it'll be submitted 11th hour, with my tongue firmly in my cheek and a rather large crowbar)

Week 15 Single

So I was wondering what the hell I was going to do for this but in the end it's turned out to be easy. I spent a fantastic afternoon down on the farm with Cosmix, Nissanman, Fernface and Briony. I LOVE wildlife/nature photography and now I've worked that out I can possibly kit myself out accordingly. I shot over 200 frames this afternoon with my 70-200 and quickly worked out I need more length. BUT, here it is, my week 15 submission, the single keeper out of the lot.

4524158630_a1dcea8b29_o.jpg

Quite a good shot for a small zoom, it is good that the bird is looking into the picture.
Would it be possible to bring out the detail under the wing as it is quite dark under the right wing? There is a lot of unused space to the left of the bord but that is fine with me. Also there seems to be a whiteish halo around the bird!

Allan

Nice one, Rob. I have tried so many times to take a decent Red Kite photo and never managed one. This is far better than any of mine. They are really magnificent birds. I am thinking I should try putting some food out for them. I see them every day over the village, but every time I go out to try to get a decent shot, they disappear upwards :(

This really fits the theme nicely.

Well done :clap::clap:

Jenny

Quite a good shot for a small zoom, it is good that the bird is looking into the picture.
Would it be possible to bring out the detail under the wing as it is quite dark under the right wing? There is a lot of unused space to the left of the bord but that is fine with me. Also there seems to be a whiteish halo around the bird!

Allan

Allan,

Thanks for the crit, you certainly didn't pull any punches and I appreciate that greatly. I've taken on board what you said and have tried my hardest to correct, sadly my PP skills are even more lacking than my photography skills but hopefully this is an improvement.

4526027337_3928b2815b_o.jpg

Wow, great shot for 200mm Rob. Lovely and sharp. Like the composition and the edit has helped a lot. The white halo has now gone.

Fantastic detail in that Rob . . . I'm more than a little bit jealous.
The brighter edit has definitely helped too.
Even if this was the only keeper out of 200 it was a worthwhile outing just to capture that (y)

I appreciate that this was the real angle that you were shooting from and how it looked, but have you tried rotating the image at all?
I just feel that there might be even more to bring out from this one if you lost the quite rigid diagonal across the frame.

Interesting idea for shoot the shooter being shot :LOL:

The Single shot is excellent, lots of detail and sharpe as a tack, the second one is best as to the processing.

(y)

Nice one, Rob. I have tried so many times to take a decent Red Kite photo and never managed one. This is far better than any of mine. They are really magnificent birds. I am thinking I should try putting some food out for them. I see them every day over the village, but every time I go out to try to get a decent shot, they disappear upwards :(

This really fits the theme nicely.

Well done :clap::clap:

Jenny

Thanks Jenny, to be honest there was a lot of PP involved to 'pull it together' the original was the best of a poor bunch. I'm really disapointed with my recent stuff and think it's time to re-evaluate my abilities. I'm fast reaching the conclusion my photography is more luck than judgement. Feed them and they will come ............................ when you're least expecting them :bang:

Wow, great shot for 200mm Rob. Lovely and sharp. Like the composition and the edit has helped a lot. The white halo has now gone.

Thanks fella. To begin with I was really chuffed with it...... then I looked at what others can achieve with the same lens and no PP. :(

Fantastic detail in that Rob . . . I'm more than a little bit jealous.
The brighter edit has definitely helped too.
Even if this was the only keeper out of 200 it was a worthwhile outing just to capture that (y)

I appreciate that this was the real angle that you were shooting from and how it looked, but have you tried rotating the image at all?
I just feel that there might be even more to bring out from this one if you lost the quite rigid diagonal across the frame.

You seem to put so much time and effort into critiquing my photography, i only wish I was capable of replying with the same. Sadly I'm a person of limited vocabulary. Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and enthusiasm, sadly this week I've cheated the shot was nothing till I spent hours PP'ing it. To me that takes anything the picture may have had away.

Excellent capture - I know nothing about bird photography but I love the fact you've got its eye. Nice!

Thanks Nick.

Interesting idea for shoot the shooter being shot :LOL:

The Single shot is excellent, lots of detail and sharp as a tack, the second one is best as to the processing.

(y)

Thanks chap, i tink the fact I've had to edit it to within an inch of it's life has left me a little cold and unenthused.

Perfect shot! Even if I had taken over 1000 shots and this was the only keeper I would be a very, very happy man!

(y) (y) (y)

Great shot for Single Rob. I like the edit even better. Good detail and you could even use if for this week - with the stare the bird is giving :D

That is pretty fantastic - don't beat yourself up about it. You have got lots of detail in the feathers and eye and it is very sharp. I can't even get a BIF in the frame....I'm much too slow.

Perfect shot! Even if I had taken over 1000 shots and this was the only keeper I would be a very, very happy man!

(y) (y) (y)

Thanks, you'll have to excuse me for my earlier 'downer' been a bit of a week here :( It's not bad really is it? I must stop looking at photo's taken by people years more experience than me.

Great shot for Single Rob. I like the edit even better. Good detail and you could even use if for this week - with the stare the bird is giving :D

Thanks. I may have to use your suggestion, half the week gone and not a single idea or lucky shot.

I too would love to get a Red Kite shot as good as this....really nice! (y)

Bless ya.

That is pretty fantastic - don't beat yourself up about it. You have got lots of detail in the feathers and eye and it is very sharp. I can't even get a BIF in the frame....I'm much too slow.

As above, ignore me,, I'm having a down week due to work oand other stuff. Appreciate your comments though, they've bolstered my resolve somewhat (y)

Bit of a catch up for me, Rob. :)

The trouble with being late to comment is that everybody has probably said what you think, so I can't add much!

Shoot: I'm always interested to see what other toggers are togging, so this satisfies my curiosity - the shooter and the shot! I think the blueness lifts it out of a routine shot into an interesting and 'arty' one. (y)

Single: Well done on several levels on this one. Firstly, getting a shot of this magnificent bird. (y) Shooting it with your 70-200. (y) Getting any bird in flight is an achievement in my book. (y) Good composition, leading the eye across the kits. (y) Processing on the edit shows good detail. (y)

Do I like it? Yes!

I hope your feeling more upbeat about your togging and have taken heart from the feedback you've had. :)

Jean

Bit of a catch up for me, Rob. :)

The trouble with being late to comment is that everybody has probably said what you think, so I can't add much!

Shoot: I'm always interested to see what other toggers are togging, so this satisfies my curiosity - the shooter and the shot! I think the blueness lifts it out of a routine shot into an interesting and 'arty' one. (y)

Single: Well done on several levels on this one. Firstly, getting a shot of this magnificent bird. (y) Shooting it with your 70-200. (y) Getting any bird in flight is an achievement in my book. (y) Good composition, leading the eye across the kits. (y) Processing on the edit shows good detail. (y)

Do I like it? Yes!

I hope your feeling more upbeat about your togging and have taken heart from the feedback you've had. :)

Jean

Really appreciate your words of enthusiasm and encouragement. Sadly I'm a 'grumpy tired bloke' at present so my photography is suffering. Hopefully it's just a phase and I'll be back to being annoyingly upbeat soon.

Week 16 Stare

Ok, just ignore the following I'm just putting it here as some form of therapy.
Hopefully I'll look back at this in weeks to come and laugh at myself for being so childish.

Once upon a time I took pictures of abandonded buildings with an EOS300D and a crappy kit lens. I loved my photos, I loved to look at them, I loved to mess about with them in PS and I loved sticking them up on an Urbex site for others to see. Then I got the idea I could take pictures and that they weren't half bad, I upgraded my camera, got some rather expensive glass, aquired a copy of CS4 and now I am convinced everything has gone to ******. I can spend a day taking pictures and 10 minutes deleting the lot. I started reading threads on here and looking at other peoples photo's and am now of the opinion I need to quit and take up knitting. Still, I am blessed with grim determination (or am I just stubborn?) so here's my week 15. I honestly couldn't be bothered with taking a new picture or thinking of a new and inventive interpritation. I just found an old SP and faffed with it in CS4. It's all I could be arsed to do. Work sucks and my family are soooooo demanding I barely get time to take a pee. My oldest cat has a thyroid condition and short term memory issue which means it yaps it head off constantly until you feed him and then 20 minutes later he starts again, I've got a huge zit on the side of my nose and I'm bloody fed up. So, ironically this old SP is actually very current as I feel exactly how the face in this picture looks.

4552037178_093b335296_o.jpg

WOWSA!!!!! This image rocks imo. tack sharp, great eyes and detail.
only issue is the nose detail is lacking, this doesnt bother me to much, because focus is the eyes

great shot it the eyes are so sharp although i think the nose and ear let it down though ???

Good evening Mr. grumpy and tired man.:LOL::LOL:

Wow we need a huge shovel to get you out of that hole that you are in at the moment.:)

I thought I was the only one that could feel sorry for myself when things won't go right but it looks like I am not :LOL:

Great picture. Pin sharp lots of feeling to it, a kind of strange, can't quite put my finger on it :thinking:

Perhaps a day out with the camera, some fun company, and a nice cake should cure Mr Grumpy, fancy it??????????? (y)

Don't take this the wrong way but that face has some character :D very serious and very detailed. (y)

great shot it the eyes are so sharp although i think the nose and ear let it down though ???

It was taken hand held in my kitchen after lots of vodka the DOF was 1.8 on my 50mm.

I should probably have done something with masks and stuff during the PP process rather than butchering the whole thing.

Great use of DoF and the image is tack sharp, especially the left hand side of the image, the detail in the eyes is brilliant.

Back