Rude?

Cobra

Gregory House
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
I dunno, maybe its a generation thing, people of a certain age, that finds all this rude.
I've been noticing, increasingly, across the "Board" there are a lot of people that never return to their threads, reply to comments, or thanks for the advice or even kiss my arse.
( I have a fiver on the fact that I know who will make the latter post in here :D )
Who knows. maybe they ( think they) are above advice, but a thanks for the comments, never hurt anyone ... did it?

They post an image or two, and then "They" move on to their next thread, waiting for the next lot of adoration / likes / approval etc from their peers,
without saying a word.
Surely the last person to post in a thread, should be the OP?

It also baffles me how many people have clocked up a decent post count and never ever posted a single image of theirs.

Its a sign of the times I guess :(

Interesting observation :)

Interesting observation :)
Maybe I just get around a lot more, cover a lot more forums, than a lot of ( most?) people and notice these things.
It's certainly on the increase...

I'd agree there.

Also annoying when you post an image for critique and no-one replies (unless your 1 of about 5 people on here, then about 20 people would comment - no matter how good or bad the image is).
And that is another "angle" of course.

Yet dole out advice by the bucket load?
There is a small minority, granted, but you'd be surprised, how many RTM's / PM's or other forms of contact I've had and I'm sure I'm not alone,
asking how to post an image on here from people with quite a few posts under their belt.

I agree with you Chris.
TBH I think this change in attitude can be traced back in part to the introduction of the 'Like' button, it has thwarted what was common interaction before it came to be.
I agree, Its certainly stifled a lot of interaction Roger.
But sadly its also the point that some don't even hit the like button in response.
That wouldn't be quite so bad if they did.

There is a small minority, granted, but you'd be surprised, how many RTM's / PM's or other forms of contact I've had and I'm sure I'm not alone,
asking how to post an image on here from people with quite a few posts under their belt.
I've seen enough failed attempts by people to post images not to be surprised by that.:)

Can`t the Like button be scrapped, or is that a no no ?
It was always a bit of a contentious thing when it was introduced, but I guess its here to stay.

I dunno, maybe its a generation thing, people of a certain age, that finds all this rude.
I've been noticing, increasingly, across the "Board" there are a lot of people that never return to their threads, reply to comments, or thanks for the advice or even kiss my arse.

Maybe these people are also people of a certain age and they sometimes forget they're created the thread?

I've created threads and then forgotten what section they're in and had to search my content for them but one day I'll forget how to do that and then I'll be one of the rude people too. Sorry.

Maybe these people are also people of a certain age and they sometimes forget they're created the thread?
I wouldn't have thought so, they tend to be fairly prolific posters.
When you reply to or start a thread, you should automatically get a notification of a reply under "Alerts"

I've just had a mooch around some other profiles, just a few random ones and certainly not a complete list.
Curiously they are a "mixture" some prolific repliers are also tuned off, and some ignores are turned on.

Every now and then I revisit a thread and ask about the outcome.

I agree with you Chris.
TBH I think this change in attitude can be traced back in part to the introduction of the 'Like' button, it has thwarted what was common interaction before it came to be.

I am guilty of that, I certainly still give a proper thanks most of the time, but equally, if I have nothing more to say than "thanks again" I've found myself hitting the like button rather than cluttering the thread up with a "thanks again" post. Or if someone posts to simply agree with something I said, I tend to hit the like button.

But the like button isn't a substitute for letting some one know that their advice worked, or that the video they linked was really helpful.

However, I can see it being useful if you make a simple informational post ie the latest version of Neofinder (and Abemeda) will now catalogue Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher files, where likes might be better than a stream of thank you posts, but would also let the poster know their effort was appreciated. Especially, if I then feel obliged to post thank you posts for the thank you posts !

I like the 'like' button because it allows me to offer encouragement without either having to find something to say or offering the verbal equivalent of a reach-around.

FWIW I'm posting fewer images on here these days because I'm not getting crit that I can build on so much.

Apparently manners makes you a leftie, pinko, poofta snowflake, or something.

Nah, some people just are anyway. ;)

Last edited:
Sod em. If they don't take in my words of wisdom and agree immediately they can go swivel.
As for images, I only post for people to behold.
You should all be grateful for my presence. :cool:

Hasn't this been discussed before ?
I agree the person who started the thread should be the last to reply especially if it's a photo,
unless of course the comment has nothing to do with critique, like etc., just some random comment about
the place it was taken and that annoys me too

It also baffles me how many people have clocked up a decent post count and never ever posted a single image of theirs.

That's one of my pet-hates :D

Those same people are often great with offering advice, sometimes even useful or correct advice, but won't show they can actually take a photo themselves

Even worse when they are (apparently) Pros and yet hide their real names so you can't find their (probably s***e) websites either :D

Dave

its good to talk!!
any comment i get i cherish and will take pleasure in quoting in my reply....and hoping start some type of mutual conversation
as for returning to your post....well its all about getting an alert isnt it which implies an indication that it isnt just a "like" alert
if its so and so who likes your shot but also comments then its only right to reply...
likes which appear in the bottom bar....it would be very busy to thank for all these so apologies for anyone who didnt geet a reply from me
....are all the staff members over 75 and lost their free tv licences...

Last edited:
Surely the last person to post in a thread, should be the OP?

Not always, I have been the OP for several long threads in "another place" where I have posted often at the beginning of the thread, but then the thread wanders into something that has no relevance to my OP.

When this happens I try to give a closing post to thank everyone who has contributed to my question, and indicate my exit from the thread, but by that time the thread has a life of its own, and although I still try and follow it just in case some one posts something of relevance to my OP, I certainly do not make the final post.

I do however, agree with the basic premise of your post. And I promise to post some photographs soon :-(

In response to text inputs, using the like button is a handy form of endorsement / acknowledgement / appreciation without adding unnecessary clutter. So used in a textual context, its meaning will be clear and it's a kind of shorthand. But it's not that vital to the existence / meaning of a thread.

In response to images, the like button is completely pointless since it says nothing whatsoever about why the image is 'liked'.

And there are people who post images hereabouts, seemingly just to harvest 'likes' from the unwashed masses, but scarcely utter a word in discussion of anything - which to me smacks of unashamed self-promotion. Discussion is surely the raison d'être of any forum on anything, anywhere? The hub on which the wheel turns?

Last edited:
Actually likes do have a place, in The Official Funnies thread, imagine how confusing that would get without them

I would post more images if the forum didn’t degrade the quality.
I’ve never got round to opening a Flickr account.
I agree about the the thanks part but often when the OP posts a thanks more responses are posted, so the OP is not the last.

Bugs me when folks limit who can view their profile.
What have they got to hide? Crap website? Crap photos? :)

Crap photos, Guilty
Crap website Not Guilty, don't have one any more
:D:p
Actually not sure whether my profile is hidden :thinking:

Last edited:
When you reply to or start a thread, you should automatically get a notification of a reply under "Alerts"
I don’t. I’ve just found the options in preferences and mine were unchecked. I never knew those options existed until you mentioned it.

I can understand the automatic ‘watch’ of threads you create but not all threads where you have commented. If I’m interested to keep up with a thread I’ve replied to it’s easy to set the ‘watch’ option otherwise I don’t want constant notifications.

I can see it’s not great manners to not acknowledge a comment but I guess looking at it from another point people may see a reply of ‘thanks’ as wastage and could be seen as a post count bump. Perhaps a simple ‘like’ of the comment would be sufficient instead?

Regarding posting images up in the critique sections I feel some are put off posting images up because of comments they got. I know I’ve been put off posting in landscapes because one time I did one of the replies said ‘I wouldn’t have bothered taking that’. Funnily I haven’t bothered posting an image in there since. I usually post images in the specific camera threads as the replies don’t seem to be like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I notice this quite a bit. And not just on here.

I do always thank people for input & advice and image comments etc To me that's 'normal' :)

I do visually read through my main A7/A9/etc thread but as a lot of the talk is (new) gear related, I find myself just reading information/opinions rather than participating much because that side of photography isn't high on my priority list.

Back