Rugby World cup 2015 thread

for a try-less match it was really rather good
Yeah, my son reckoned it was brilliant. It would have been good to see a try or two.

It just doesn't seem right to have a whole match where every point was from a penalty.

Didn't fancy our chances at all against the most dangerous back line in the tournament. But an hour into the game I really thought we could win this, and with 3 near miss tries we were a lot more competitive than I anticipated.

We had a good chance of reaching the final with a win today, but things are very, very difficult now. But having beaten SA recently and their form not certain, and also France have knocked out NZ previously, means an slim chance of making progress....

Be watching the semis with the English....

Ireland shirt...check
Guinness...check
Huge shamrock...check

Should be a good game this afternoon...

Really enjoyed the 10 or so minutes of Wales battering at an impenetrable defence with extra men on the field but to no avail. NOT because I wanted them to fail but because the Aussies showed such fantastic defence. A bit of a shame that both teams seemed at times to be playing to get penalties awarded rather than to win the ball or yardage but that seems to be the modern game.

Yesssssss!! Second half of green pressure ....more Guinness...I don't mind if I do:D

Great game by Ireland. Considering the injury losses they were fantastic.:banana:

A real gritty performance, France were pants, Ireland were great, they are going to miss Paul O'Connell massively, any news on Sexton? Liam Williams is out for the rest of the tournament, thats 6 players Wales have now lost. Enjoy the Guinness Mike, I am still 'tender' from lastnights belly full, chuff me the Irish boys can drink!

A real gritty performance, France were pants, Ireland were great, they are going to miss Paul O'Connell massively, any news on Sexton? Liam Williams is out for the rest of the tournament, thats 6 players Wales have now lost. Enjoy the Guinness Mike, I am still 'tender' from lastnights belly full, chuff me the Irish boys can drink!

We were weaned on Guinness and as babies if we didn't sleep...it was a shot of whisky in the bedtime bottle.lol

Reactions: mex
I did see Graham Henry suggesting that Lancaster et al should keep their coaching positions earlier. Its taken me 20 minutes to stop laughing so I can post this

Thanks!! I did notice the autocorrect spelling but I was too drunk to fix it:D

I wonder if the American autocowrecks changes whisky to whiskey?

I did see Graham Henry suggesting that Lancaster et al should keep their coaching positions earlier. Its taken me 20 minutes to stop laughing so I can post this

It is going to cost the RFU a small fortune to sack him, he is contracted until 2020.....bet the doughnut who thought that one up is now in hiding.

It is going to cost the RFU a small fortune to sack him, he is contracted until 2020.....bet the doughnut who thought that one up is now in hiding.

Its going to cost them a big fortune to keep him. Have you seen how many tickets are available on the world cup website. To say QF/SF/Final tickets were like gold dust is an understatement before this. Now you can get any games fairly easily. They were selling tickets for England/Uruguay for £2.50 each. Keeping him will cost a fortune and be a mistake.

To be fair to the doughnut who thought it up the RFU does need to give their coaches a little support. Or a lot.

Last edited:
I hope there is. One way or the other though I imagine he can be sacked for winning the grand total of nothing except one treble crown, a few calcutta cups, and a couple of millennium trophies since he's been in charge. Nothing really then

Last edited:
Is sacking him the best option? who would he be replaced with? Maybe Graham Henry if he could be tempted out of retirement?

Is sacking him the best option? who would he be replaced with? Maybe Graham Henry if he could be tempted out of retirement?

Tbh it's hard to see who'd be a good replacement. But I don't see leaving him as an option either. I really thought things couldn't get worse than 2011....I was wrong

Tbh it's hard to see who'd be a good replacement. But I don't see leaving him as an option either. I really thought things couldn't get worse than 2011....I was wrong

I don't think its just a case of who'd be a good replacment, its also who would be willing to drink from a poison chalace. The trial by media, if things go pear-shaped is surley something that will put any candidate off. The England XV also needs some scrutiny , the captaincy needs a good going over as do some of the selections need deeper thought. Let's be honest, the majority of Englands players are top drawer, world class talent (with one or two exceptions ;))Rumours are now circling that Burgess had more than one changing room/training field ding-dong, ( his game stats BTW showed he made more tackles and more yards than any other England back) which either needs to be addressed or things will undoubtably get worse. I really do hope they can sort things out, the 6N tournament would suffer.
No good news for Ireland regarding PO'C , O'Mahony and Sexton. The sad news is that P'OC's rugby career is probably over, O'Mahony's RWC is over, whilst Sexton and Kearney are doubtful to start on Sunday.

QF predictions:
SA 11 - 13 Wales :exit:
Australia 21 - 9 Scotland
NZ 18 - 15 France
Ireland 18 - 24 Argentina

don't think its just a case of who'd be a good replacment, its also who would be willing to drink from a poison chalace. The trial by media, if things go pear-shaped is surley something that will put any candidate off. The England XV also needs some scrutiny , the captaincy needs a good going over as do some of the selections need deeper thought. Let's be honest, the majority of Englands players are top drawer, world class talent (with one or two exceptions ;))Rumours are now circling that Burgess had more than one changing room/training field ding-dong, ( his game stats BTW showed he made more tackles and more yards than any other England back) which either needs to be addressed or things will undoubtably get worse. I really do hope they can sort things out, the 6N tournament would suffer.

I actually think its less of a poison chalice now then it was 10 years ago. Atleast now the RFU appears to support its coaches. That certainly wasn't the case back then. Trial by media is something that goes with top level sport in any country. Not just Rugby and not just England. Any coach needs to be able to deal with it.

I hope they get it sorted though. Its very interesting to see how Rugby in England has already suffered as a result and how quickly. Not just the 6N.That maybe just a knee jerk reaction, but the tournaments fall from grace has been pretty stunning. Atleast locally. (and its probably a fair bet that if the've lost support locally then the don't have much elsewhere)

No good news for Ireland regarding PO'C , O'Mahony and Sexton. The sad news is that P'OC's rugby career is probably over, O'Mahony's RWC is over, whilst Sexton and Kearney are doubtful to start on Sunday.

such a shame.

QF predictions:
SA 11 - 13 Wales :exit:
Australia 21 - 9 Scotland
NZ 18 - 15 France
Ireland 18 - 24 Argentina

possibly;) Although France have the ability to surprise NZ. NZ have never done that well away from home and France on their day can and have upset them.Argentina have looked very good in recent years. I'm glad they were admitted to the ti-nations(or whatever they renamed it) after the last world cup

Bad news the day ...no more big Paul hope we can beat Argentina without him ....

English referee Wayne Barnes to take charge of Wales' quarter-final clash with South Africa. He will be supported by assistant referees George Clancy (Ireland) and JP Doyle (England), with Graham Hughes (England) acting as the television match official.

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mex
English referee Wayne Barnes to take charge of Wales' quarter-final clash with South Africa. He will be supported by assistant referees George Clancy (Ireland) and JP Doyle (England), with Graham Hughes (England) acting as the television match official.

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although to be fair to Wayne Barnes, he now just a dick, as opposed to the total dick-head he was a few years ago. He has mellowed and matured a bit and as referee's go, he's ok.

TBH, I would have thought that Wales would be happy with a Northern hemisphere ref rather than a Southern one. Not for impartiality reasons, more that they seem harder on unfair rough play.

TBH, I would have thought that Wales would be happy with a Northern hemisphere ref rather than a Southern one. Not for impartiality reasons, more that they seem harder on unfair rough play.

I had exactly the same thought, it's an advantage for Wales.

Absolutely agree that a Northern Hemisphere ref would be an avantage. However, Wayne Barnes? - and three English officials out of four?

Does anyone really think that a referee or other official in a world cup event would show bias?

I think maybe the 50/50 decisions will go South Africa's way on this occasion, but happy to be proved wrong.

Does anyone really think that a referee or other official in a world cup event would show bias?

Steve Walsh possibly? but I don't thnik he is on this RWC panel.

Not so much a bias, more a different interpretation of the rules and what they will allow.

Quarter finals weekend is here, the knockout stage begins. I have a bit of a dilema, do I a) go into the city centre and watch the games in the ' Fan zone' or b) slum it in the local boozer and atleast get a seat? decisions,decisions...

Back