Rugby World cup 2015 thread

I'm back home again from the pub, and I'm (edit: extremely) drunk. :D

As a Welshman, I'm pleased Wales are in a better position following tonight's result...

BUT

From the start of the game and throughout, I remained neutral. I had to explain many times to fellow Welsh fans and visiting Englishmen (of whom there were quite a few due to a national darts comp being held locally) that I wouldn't wish defeat on our neighbours even if it gave us an advantage. I would rather do it the hard way.

Had a cracking night, made new friends and that's that.

Cymru am byth.

PS I met the world no2 womens pro darts player, which was cool. She was very nice.

Last edited:
From the second favourites and tournament hosts? A little better

I think their position as second favourites at the bookies was purely down to the amount of money placed on England. I don't think any northern hemisphere team are in the top 3 (despite current world rankings).

I think their position as second favourites at the bookies was purely down to the amount of money placed on England. I don't think any northern hemisphere team are in the top 3 (despite current world rankings).

Possibly, but it remains that's where they were, and the tournament at home should also have helped that.

I think Wales rank 2nd in the world at the moment.

Possibly, but it remains that's where they were, and the tournament at home should also have helped that.

I think Wales rank 2nd in the world at the moment.

Yes we are (surprisingly..), but realistically we are still not 2nd favourites for the tournament even having escaped the 'group of death'.

Yes we are (surprisingly..), but realistically we are still not 2nd favourites for the tournament even having escaped the 'group of death'.

I still think whomever wins that group will be in the final so don't write Wales off to easily. The winner has a relatively ( as far as any sport at this level) clear run assuming NZ also win their group

My head hurts. :(

PS I met the world no2 womens pro darts player, which was cool.

And here she is, Fallon Sherrock (in the light blue hoody).

I can't believe I actually said, "Ready? Say Wales!" :D

#drunkenphonepic

Fallon.jpg

Last edited:
I still think whomever wins that group will be in the final so don't write Wales off to easily. The winner has a relatively ( as far as any sport at this level) clear run assuming NZ also win their group

Yes, but to win the group, we need to beat the best looking team in the tournament so far.....
But if we do, the route to the final is easier (likely scotland in the quarter finals, ireland in the semi finals; vs SA in the quarters and NZ in the semi final).

Having grown up watching welsh rugby in the 80s and 90s, I am not an optimist when it comes to the chances of the wales team!

I watch league more than union, but I watched the England game last night. If a team cannot pass the ball to each other or tackle properly, no matter which code, they will lose.

England were very much still in it until Farrell was sin binned.

Really? The only time England were in that game was whilst they sang their national anthem, other than that, they were totally out-played, I doubt if Farrell's bin would have made any difference to the outcome.

There was a ten minute spell about 20 mins into the second half when it looked like they were coming back into the game.
Other than that, they did not play world class rugby.

Sadly not, but as he's useless I hope he does the decent thing

Their display in this tournament will probably see Lancaster replaced, but was their performance all down to him? I think not. The pressure put on the England 15 by the press and media has had a hand in results, for example The Telegraph only this week, following defeat by Wales prints a full page spread on how England would still qualify and one of the ITV pundits pre-tournament was predicting who England would meet in the final !!. But let's be honest, England have won just one 6 nations title since 2003, however France have 4 with 2 grand slams, Wales have 4 with 3 grand slams and Ireland have 3 with 1 grand slam, it is not pretty reading. The rot in English rugby started long before this world cup, its the RFU who need to take a step back and look at themselves and investigate why the country with the biggest number of players available to them in world do not perform when it counts.

Last edited:
Their display in this tournament will probably see Lancaster replaced, but was their performance all down to him? I think not. The pressure put on the England 15 by the press and media has had a hand in results, for example The Telegraph only this week, following defeat by Wales prints a full page spread on how England would still qualify and one of the ITV pundits pre-tournament was predicting who England would meet in the final !!. But let's be honest, England have won just one 6 nations title since 2003, however France have 4 with 2 grand slams, Wales have 4 with 3 grand slams and Ireland have 3 with 1 grand slam, it is not pretty reading. The rot in English rugby started long before this world cup, its the RFU who need to take a step back and look at themselves and investigate why the country with the biggest number of players available to them in world do not perform when it counts.

I agree with you completely. The rot in English Rugby set in long before this tournament. But Lancaster has had the last 4 years to prepare for this. He was given far more freedom then Ashton ever was as coach (and far more support) and some (but my no means all) of the failure to perform has to be laid at his door. Certainly much of the poor decision making and inability to read a game as it develops stops with him. So does the lack of discipline that cost them so dear

All the RFU seems to do is swan around Twickenham in Range Rovers upsetting the residents (and ending up with losing atleast one judicial review before the tournament). Things there also need to change. Not only have they the greatest number of players available, they also have, by some margin the greatest financial clout available to them as well

Last edited:
I think it might mark a turning point for them - there is a load of great young talent coming up and it's time they offloaded some of the pensioners and made plans for Japan 2019

I think it might mark a turning point for them - there is a load of great young talent coming up and it's time they offloaded some of the pensioners and made plans for Japan 2019

24 of the 32 in the England squad had never played at a world cup before. There's not a lot of pensioners in there. Maybe some experienced heads would be useful

Last edited:
On the old heads subject, Mauro Bergamasco (sp.?) gets on against Ireland, he has been around longer than the DFS sale.

Today I walk with my head hung in shame...Ireland provided a lack lustre performance and my hat is off to Italy....what a great defence...

Today I walk with my head hung in shame...Ireland provided a lack lustre performance and my hat is off to Italy....what a great defence...
True. Ireland could have played better.

Maybe they are saving themselves for the next game? :)

True. Ireland could have played better.

Maybe they are saving themselves for the next game? :)
That is an understatement...they should give up their place to England....that's how bad they played...no excuses are valid for their standard of play today

Try supporting England. Then you know what shame is.

I don't think anyone (except maybe Japan) has played close to their best this tournament.

I think it very telling there are currently tickets available for every match except the final

I'd add Argentina and Australia to the list of teams that are playing at close to their best. The australian back line look dangerous, and their back row will be causing wales severe problems on saturday. maybe gatland will reverse his position on tipuric and start him, I think he is our most undervalued player, and would be my first pick for the back row.

Crikey, anybody reading that would think you'd lost. Stop complaining.

0.5 billion £ estimated loss to business due to England going out:(

All of the O2 and Lucozade adverts look a bit silly now.

I agree with you completely. The rot in English Rugby set in long before this tournament. But Lancaster has had the last 4 years to prepare for this. He was given far more freedom then Ashton ever was as coach (and far more support) and some (but my no means all) of the failure to perform has to be laid at his door. Certainly much of the poor decision making and inability to read a game as it develops stops with him. So does the lack of discipline that cost them so dear

All the RFU seems to do is swan around Twickenham in Range Rovers upsetting the residents (and ending up with losing atleast one judicial review before the tournament). Things there also need to change. Not only have they the greatest number of players available, they also have, by some margin the greatest financial clout available to them as well

BBC are now reporting that there has been a lot of back-bitting in the England dressing room between some of the players ..FFS,they are grown men behaving like spoilt school kids, at the end of the day they are professional athletes, paid handsomely to perform.

Saturday was the first time ever I've had problems after a match at Twickenham. Some drunken t*** decided he was going to jump into my back garden to use it as a toilet so he could escape the stewards who were attempting to stop him p***ing in my front. Sadly (shame) he managed to trip and and land on his face. He also left his wallet behind. So I donated all the cash to charity and binned this rest somewhere in Richmond. Sent him an email telling him what I'd done to ;). Of course thats illegal and he's welcome to tell the police. If he does he'll have explain why he was running away from the stewards and why he did so much damage to my fence and gate. I'm betting he won't bother.

On a slightly more serious note. For the first time every after Rugby matches I am hearing stories of people being assaulted. Which is a real shame.

At least England being out means we can now enjoy watching all the teams play, rather than endless media coverage on what the England team are up to.

Live coverage from the England team hotel where the squad are enjoying breakfast. Cue 2 hours' analysis of what the back row like on toast, just in time for the hour-long lead-in to the lunchtime special, debating Lanacaster controversial selection of green beans to go with the chicken instead of the fans' favourite of peas.

It's even worse when there's an international football tournament.

Back