Rumor image of canon mirrorless! Now Officially Released!

I think there is a lot of confusion as the camera is going to be offered in different kits in different regions.

I still can't get over this, a 650d and 18-55 is only £30 more.

This is pretty common across most mirrorless kit zooms, the Panasonic is around £180 and the Sony is around £220.

Your looking at a big difference in build quality with the mirrorless versions generally having metal mounts while both the Canon and the Sony have metal bodies aswell, I'd guess reducing the size makes production more expensive aswell.

Just a product of the market I'd say as theres probabley fewer users upgrading there standard zooms compaired to SLR's as anythign larger unbalances the camera.

This camera does look quite a nice piece of kit, would be interesting to see some sample photos taken with it.

I've just bought a Sony NEX 5n after deciding to depart with my 5d mark II as it doesn't get the use it deserves plus it's just too big to be practical for everyday use. Very impressed with the image quality that these small cameras produce so would be interesting to see how this stacks up against the NEX.

Well, I got to play with a pre production eos m today at the canon stand at Rutland Water birdfair. Mounted on it was the eos adapter and a 40mm pancake, and that was all they had. First impressions of the body were good, it felt very nice in the hand and felt well balanced with the 40mm on the adapter. Build quality is good. I was hoping to see the video in action, but as usual, no cards were allowed to be put in and they didn't even have a demo card to show the video capabilities. All I was told was, it's the same as the 650d! The touch screen I liked, nice and responsive. Though I did find the camera slow at updating the image on screen as I went from light to dark areas. Touch to focus and shoot is a neat idea and it seems to work well. Menu system seemed decently layed out. The only main problem I found with it was it focus speed! Nowhere near as fast as the likes of my dad's G3 along with the Nikon J1 and V1 that had a play with today. Of course this was just a pre production model and nowhere near finalized, and also an ef lens on the adapter, but I expected the focus to be quicker. I look forward to seeing a full review and actually playing with one when they are officially released with the dedicated lenses. But for now, it is down at the bottom of the list of mirrorless cameras for me to considor.

Thanks for the update. :)

I must admit I'm intrigued to how it will feel in the hand and how the touch screen will work. :thinking:

I'd forgotten all about it though, because no one seems to be talking about it here. (unless I'm missing some obvious posts)

I saw a pic of it in a magazine yesterday as they caught up with the news, ;) but apart from that, there doesn't seem to be any buzz about it, not like there was with some of the Sony NEX, Fuji and Olympus CSC cameras. :shrug:

....but apart from that, there doesn't seem to be any buzz about it, not like there was with some of the Sony NEX, Fuji and Olympus CSC cameras. :shrug:

That's a good point. Maybe it will build, maybe the market doesn't need yet another option and m4/3 and Nex have the march?

I would think it would do well once readily available and people start to get them due solely to the fact that EF Canon lens can fit it and a lot of people have a lot of Canon EF lens...

I agree, to get a big buzz going they really need to be better than or other something different than the likes of panasonic, sony and nikon. I am sure there will be a lot of people buying it just because they can use there stock of canon lenses on it, but if af speed is as it was on the body I tried, then I think shots could be missed.

Yes AF speed really needs to be comparable to Nikon 1 or this system will not have a lot going for it. Using EF lenses is a nice perk but if you're going to lug along big lenses why not grab a 650D instead.

All canon seem to bothered about is the fact they have been able to stuff a dslr spec into a pocketable body, and they seem to think they have made the right sacrifices to do it, such as no built in flash and no option for a vf. Everytime I asked a question, the answer was pretty much "it's the same as the 650d!" I want to here about the eos M as a camera in its self, not just a dslr they have shrunk in the wash. Canon need to get creative and do some more market research :LOL:

Well it's still 2 months till it's released here in the UK and I can't wait!

And not everyone wants a built in flash or EVF. I for one don't and I'm quite sure the focus speed will be fast enough for my needs.

And not everyone wants a built in flash or EVF. I for one don't and I'm quite sure the focus speed will be fast enough for my needs.

Exactly, you are therefore the target market. And until it is available difficult to say how big that market it is for Canon. We know the market is big generally but will people who have already bought similar solutions from Sony and others switch to Canon or are they too late?

Raymond Lin said:
If it was FF then I would get one to see what the fuss is about.

I second that, with an ef mount built in and a simple 9 point phase detection focus system! It would be an ideal match for my 50mm f1.4.. I would take it everywhere with me!

Also what flash sync speeds do these little camera's have?

I had a brief play around with one at the weekend and it was a fairly underwhelming experience, and the pancake lens seemed to take a very long time to focus when switching between things near and far.

Rod.F said:
I had a brief play around with one at the weekend and it was a fairly underwhelming experience, and the pancake lens seemed to take a very long time to focus when switching between things near and far.

Did you get to try it with any of the dedicated lenses? I had the same experience with thw 40mm and adapter when I tried it out bk in august.

Yeah, the EF-M 18-55mm was attached the camera when I picked it up - felt a bit too big to hold with one hand and a bit too cramped to hold with two. So I switched to the EF-M 22mm lens and found it really slow to focus.

Rod.F - was it a final production camera you played with or one of the demo units that have been around for the last couple of months?

Rod.F - was it a final production camera you played with or one of the demo units that have been around for the last couple of months?

I'm pretty sure it was a final production model because it was a display model in one of Tokyo's biggest camera shops. But I wouldn't read too much into my comments, as I say, I was just playing around with it for a few moments. However I wouldn't recommend anyone here buys or pre-orders it before trying it themselves if AF speed is important to them.

Thanks for the info.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one.

I've got one on order but after reading the engadget review, I may cancel my order!

I've got one on order but after reading the engadget review, I may cancel my order!

Is it the slow focusing putting you off? I had high hopes that, having gone back to a lumbering great Canon DSLR after a bit of a flirtation with M43, this little chap would serve me for walkabouts. I'm still hoping that Canon fix the slow focusing via a firmware update as some other manufacturers have done. If they do, I'll be tempted.

I agree, to get a big buzz going they really need to be better than or other something different than the likes of panasonic, sony and nikon. I am sure there will be a lot of people buying it just because they can use there stock of canon lenses on it, but if af speed is as it was on the body I tried, then I think shots could be missed.

Agree with this - I think it's a disappointing effort from Canon given that they everyone else has already launched csc cameras and Canon could have learned from their mistakes and got a jump on the competition.

If you already own Canon lenses I can see some appeal but otherwise (especially at the price) I think the current Nex and micro four thirds csc cameras offer a lot more for similar (or less) money.

http://www.mu-43.com/f92/canon-eos-m-now-official-30073/

Agree with this - I think it's a disappointing effort from Canon given that they everyone else has already launched csc cameras and Canon could have learned from their mistakes and got a jump on the competition.

If you already own Canon lenses I can see some appeal but otherwise (especially at the price) I think the current Nex and micro four thirds csc cameras offer a lot more for similar (or less) money.

http://www.mu-43.com/f92/canon-eos-m-now-official-30073/

Neither Canon nor Nikon have very credible CSC offers and that is mainly because they are too dependent on the sales of their more traditional DSLRs and DSLR glass. They will come around eventually I am sure. Hopefully they won't be too late.

Back