Daily ~Sam~'s 365 - one day at a time

I like the perspective of the Uni building - it makes it look very imposing.

And I so know what you mean about the views through the viewfinder - they just seem to turn to a pile of crap in 2D :(

Stopped off at the cemetery on the way home (as you do) but the sky was just awful. Best of the bunch other than a very nice statue I want to keep for a retake when the weather gets better.

365/98 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

In other news, thanks to a co-worker who shall remain nameless, I have a raging cold so it's a quick add tonight and catch up tomorrow. Sorry.

Sorry to hear about the cold :(

She's very nice, I think I'd have tried to isolate her by using a shallower DOF

I love the uni building, very impressive and agree with Jeff about keeping it as it is...

Statue is great and you done well to lessen the crap uk sky... look forward to a re-take just to see the difference!

(catching up)

Loving the abstract paving of day 85 and the tones of the transport museum on 89 are great. :)

That statue in 98 too, wow!! It's definitely one you need to go back to and get another shot of as it's fantastic, I wish I knew of one locally, been keeping an eye out for a while for one of those.

Sorry to hear about the cold :(

She's very nice, I think I'd have tried to isolate her by using a shallower DOF

Hell, yeah - I agree with you! This was the SX40 shoved into Auto while I tried to dodge drizzle and keep my hands warmish! And I can't even believe I said that about April! :LOL:

Now that is a nice statue, I'll look forward to the retake.
As Sarah says a shallow DOF to isolate would be good, as would a nice shaft of sunlight to pick it out.

Thanks, Sarah - I can deliver the DOF next time, but telling me to just conjure up some sun is a bit much don't you think? :thinking::D

Great shot Sam! I really like that :)

Thanks, Jake! :)

I love the uni building, very impressive and agree with Jeff about keeping it as it is...

Statue is great and you done well to lessen the crap uk sky... look forward to a re-take just to see the difference!

Thanks, T:) I have kept it - due to laziness as much as anything, but I think that mucking around one way will make it look wrong another anyway! I am becoming a master of shots without too much sky this year!

more nice worl Sam

thanks, Vince - I'll try to keep up the good worl! ;) :LOL:

(catching up)

Loving the abstract paving of day 85 and the tones of the transport museum on 89 are great. :)

That statue in 98 too, wow!! It's definitely one you need to go back to and get another shot of as it's fantastic, I wish I knew of one locally, been keeping an eye out for a while for one of those.

Thanks, Paul - we have quite a few good cemeteries for statues round Nottingham so I guess I am lucky in that respect! :)

Hope you are ok Sam.
The statue will definitely be worth a revisit.

Thanks, Phil - I am fine, thank you for asking, just very busy and fraught here! Not over bad fraught, just like the word somewhat! :)

Will certainly go back and revisit - couple there I want to capture!

Some great shots again Sam.....love the perspective of the building on the hill, works for me (y)

Thanks, Simon! :)

Where are youuu?

Hi, Toni! :wave: Took a few days off! Nose running less now, sneezes have stopped....time to get back to it!! (y)

So many I am not happy with and just couldn't be bothered o post them, but I have to be brave at some point and share them! :puke:

First....total, utter filler....wish i had a back up of my toenail or something! :LOL:

365/99 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Second is a semi-filler - I take this all the time just in case the one I wanted didn't work out! So, it got rolled out for this day.....have to find another semi-filler (sounds a bit rude somehow? :thinking:)....

365/100 - The Ten Bell by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Next - I may have had Maggie on the brain after a couple of days of nothing else on the news....pearls (well, bits of plastic)...and blue!!

365/101 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

So, the days are drawing out so I decided to pop into Wollaton Park on my way home - most impressed to see it is open until 8 p.m. (y) noticed some interesting skies which might be a good dramatic backdrop - sadly, they ended up behind me. Even more sadly, having picked my way through deer poo and waiting about 10 minutes for the idiots mucking about IN MY SHOT (and I swear, the only 2 other people in the park) I managed to get a couple of shots just as the skies opened and I got soaked. Honestly, nature hates me.

365/102 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

COVER YOUR EYES AND MOVE ON. PLEASE. I hate this. hate, hate, hate.

365/103 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Nature still hated me on Sunday - lovely blue skies when I woke up, by the time I bothered to go out I had about 3 minutes before it started to rain. Again.

Anyway - a 'thing'

365/104 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

I went to the local church yesterday - might have to keep an eye on this place as they keep loads of nice flowers very close together!

365/105 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Nice catch up Sam 102 is the pick of the bunch for me.

Fabulous idea using the church flowers though - it gets very expensive buying them otherwise :LOL:

Well done on catching up Sam, you may hate some of them, but at least you got out there and did it, you didn't give up and that is the important thing.

Really like 102 as well, that looks like a brilliant building & if it's near you, try using a free programme called the photographers ephemeris, it gives sunrise, sunset, moonrise and set times and also direction, so you can see where the sun will set where you want to be. I've worked out that a church I want to photograph at sunset will have the sun in the right place on 20h May :)

Nice catch up Sam 102 is the pick of the bunch for me.

Fabulous idea using the church flowers though - it gets very expensive buying them otherwise :LOL:

Thanks, Sarah - I like that building as well and now the afternoons are lighter and the park is open later, I'll probably go back again a time or two.

The flowers where quite the discovery - it's a teeny church, but obviously maintained with a lot of love. It's also VERY popular for weddings...I think it's because it has a pub right next door - a dream for a groom and his mates! :D

Well done on catching up Sam, you may hate some of them, but at least you got out there and did it, you didn't give up and that is the important thing.

Really like 102 as well, that looks like a brilliant building & if it's near you, try using a free programme called the photographers ephemeris, it gives sunrise, sunset, moonrise and set times and also direction, so you can see where the sun will set where you want to be. I've worked out that a church I want to photograph at sunset will have the sun in the right place on 20h May :)

Thank you! And thank you for he programme suggestion - I'll look into that!:) The building is very near to me, so I'll be back again soon!

This is the same church that has the flowers around the back of the building. The door is teeny!

365/106 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Now, this was not a good day for me and to add insult to injury, my camera showed full battery and then died after about 3 minutes so didn't have much to choose from. This, sadly, was the best of the bunch!!! :eek::LOL:

365/107 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Ivy. Growing up a wall. Not much more to say about this! :LOL:

365/108 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Actual proper signs of Spring coming through finally (how strange to say that in the middle of April!!!) - these didn't exist two days ago, I swear!!!

365/109 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Church door is lovely, and I actually quite like the river picture. I'm guessing the water level is not normally that high. Very bayou looking - I'm hunting for a crocodiles snout :LOL:

I actually really like that Guess Who shot haha! Definitely a shot I'd take!

The shot in Wollaton Park is really beautiful and the focus on the "thing" :p is great. Lovely depth of field! The pinks of those flowers I also really really like.

109 is the kind of shot I like to see of those types of subjects. Just something about it :D

Church door is lovely, and I actually quite like the river picture. I'm guessing the water level is not normally that high. Very bayou looking - I'm hunting for a crocodiles snout :LOL:

Thanks, Sarah, I don't think the water level is normally quite as high, but it's been ages since I last went there. Good thing I got at least one OK shot before the battery ran out!:LOL:

great flower shots sam, but the heads in day 105.. great detail and colours!!

Thanks, Kev - they really did look lovely 'in the flesh'! :)

I actually really like that Guess Who shot haha! Definitely a shot I'd take!

The shot in Wollaton Park is really beautiful and the focus on the "thing" :p is great. Lovely depth of field! The pinks of those flowers I also really really like.

109 is the kind of shot I like to see of those types of subjects. Just something about it :D

Thanks, Toni! The Guess Who shot worked in my head, but it's the background I don't like so much! I'm pleased you found so many you liked - thank you! :)

Some good stuff here - particularly the flower shots 105 and 109.

Thanks, Bob - glad you like them! :)

Despite all the sun and my yearning to get out and about, other things cropped up which took up most of my time. These are growing by me neighbours fence and look lovely, until you get too close!! :D

365/110 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

365/111 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Since I have been moaning about my lack of mojo and wondering about this whole project!!! :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
lol, I have no idea why you are being so hard on yourself. What you call "fillers" I call "masterpieces". Some of these are just inspired!

I really like your "Guess Who" shot. The flowers, brickwork and trees are all brilliantly composed. I even like the money shot (so many colours)!

LOL, there are some good shots in there, I like the church door, they all seem to have such great detailing. Love the flowering currant flower, that is such a bright pink & I love the dog taking the shot of the day. Nice bit of humour there.

i love the humour in 111 ... well done sam (y)

Thanks, Kev! Laughing at myself is a hobby I have taken up!! :LOL::LOL:

lol, I have no idea why you are being so hard on yourself. What you call "fillers" I call "masterpieces". Some of these are just inspired!

I really like your "Guess Who" shot. The flowers, brickwork and trees are all brilliantly composed. I even like the money shot (so many colours)!

Thank you very much, Tim, I really appreciate that! :)

:eek: I must've missed that one :LOL:

:p:LOL:

LOL, there are some good shots in there, I like the church door, they all seem to have such great detailing. Love the flowering currant flower, that is such a bright pink & I love the dog taking the shot of the day. Nice bit of humour there.

Thanks, Sarah - appreciate the comments! :) Slinky won't be coming out too often - I think he has mad cow disease....his back legs keep going!! :LOL:

Back