Samyang 85mm f/1.4 - Love it!

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
It's a real find of a portrait lens. Well built and with a super smooth focusing it's surprisingly easy to hit focus reasonably accurately. The best thing about it though is the bokeh, which is, IMO, as good if not better than anything out there.

Example...

5525734299_b6db7d770e_b.jpg

There is a AE version of this lens for Nikon which will provide EXIF data . I am pretty annoyed at myself that you got this lens as I wanted it but have found a good price new so just pulling together the funds for it. Been an advocate of Samyang since i got the fisheye.

They have a 35mm f1.4 just announced and a 14mm f2.8 that looks great as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, being manual I wouldn't risk it for ceremony shots, but for portraits I love it.

One sold on Ebay yesterday for £170ish. I was going to punt on it, but then was also bidding on something else and forgot about it :(

Ok, im not going to be selfish on this one but it comes with a WARNING...

I have found it for £175 + pp new and its the newer AE edition but it is from a company who is not answering their phone and I can't find much info about them. Added to that the description and picture are not of the AE version. I am very close to putting it on the credit card to be covered but hesitant nonetheless since I have not been able to get through to them for the last 2 days and they are not a retailer I am familiar with.

http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/samyang-85mm-f-1-4-aspherical-if-lens-nikon.html

What the general opinion since we are all after this fine lens.

EDIT: Ill add that nothing shows up at "whois" and the registered company number and address as featured on their site differs from that at company house... hmmm...

Last edited:

I have found it for £175 + pp new and its the newer AE edition but it is from a company who is not answering their phone and I can't find much info about them. Added to that the description and picture are not of the AE version. I am very close to putting it on the credit card to be covered but hesitant nonetheless since I have not been able to get through to them for the last 2 days and they are not a retailer I am familiar with.

they look ok, think i have used them before on amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/seller/at-a-glance.html?ie=UTF8&seller=AVFFYZKWOYA48

EDIT: Ill add that nothing shows up at "whois" and the registered company number and address as featured on their site differs from that at company house... hmmm...

They have a "bricks and Mortar" shop so I'd be surprised if its a scam site, but Ive never used them..
Who's gonna be first to test them out?

WHOIS seems ok to me.

domain name:
ukdigital.co.uk

Registrant:
Clitheroe Cameras

Trading as:
UK Digital Ltd

Registrant type:
Unknown

Registrant's address:
30 Castle St
Clitheroe
Lancs
Unknown
BB7 2BX
United Kingdom

Registrar:
Fasthosts Internet Ltd [Tag = FASTHOSTS]
URL: http://www.fasthosts.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 25-Jan-1999
Renewal date: 25-Jan-2013
Last updated: 02-Feb-2011

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
vz726-ns1.nufuture-dns.com
vz726-ns2.nufuture-dns.com

WHOIS lookup made at 12:16:36 15-Mar-2011

They have a "bricks and Mortar" shop so I'd be surprised if its a scam site, but Ive never used them..
Who's gonna be first to test them out?

Haha, the thread went a bit quiet after I posted the great price as I think we were all hoping someone would take the leap first. Im waiting on cash for my D40 I sold so when that comes in, I'll take the leap.

100% going on the credit card though for that extra cover.

Edit: Well done Tom, I didn't get anything showing when I looked.

Company number checks out too
UK OPTICS LIMITED
UNIT 8 DEANFIELD COURT,
LINK 59 BUSINESS PARK
CLITHEROE
LANCASHIRE
UNITED KINGDOM
BB7 1QS
Company No. 06830712

Now, where did I put my credit card?

If you see the shot I just posted in the people and portraits forum you'll all be off to buy one. ;)

I had a statement from an old credit card through last week and it had £200 credit on it somehow. I cant find the card anywhere though!
Just rang the bank for a new one, and as soon as it arrives, I know where the £200 is going!

Unless you are going to buy me one today.... Stop it.. :D

<sigh> I shall probably get one now too....

Sorry Tom, I am weak... I gave in :LOL:

Ordered tonight and should be here by the weekend. Hopefully no issues and that it is the AE version so it meters on my D5000 but I guess its a wait and see game.

If it is the AE version, £183 has got to be a steal.

Gah.. bastar....

I hope Halifax hurry the hell up with that card. :love:

We'll look forward to your thoughts.

You can imagine my surprise at opening up the box from UKDigital and inside being the Samyang 85mm box... inside the box a Samyang AE 85mm f1.4 As IF UMC. Yeah that's the chipped version for £183! :LOL:

First impressions are as follows:

• Cheap box/bag/instructions/lens cap - which will probably need replaced with a Nikon 72mm cap
  • Solid construction of lens
  • very smooth focus ring with a good tactile quality.
  • aperture ring very close to the body but this is no issue as it gets set to f22
    and the camera controls the rest.
  • will take some getting used too using the small viewfinder on a D5000
  • All EXIF data intact as far as I can tell from a quick glance.
  • only the focus is done on the lens, everything else is in the camera body.

As it is raining in a post-apocalyptic manner outside there will be no outside test shots but from the very fast ones I have tried indoors I am somewhat impressed. The bokeh is stunningly smooth but focus is pretty hard to get right (my first full manual lens) and rather unforgiving @ f1.4

A bit of a noob question now, you have to set too f22 otherwise you get a "FEE" error, now my understanding must be wrong but i thought you would of set it too f1.4 then let the camera change down rather than the other way around. I guess it is something I will need to read up on.

I can't wait to shoot properly in decent light. Overall very very impressed so far. Seems to me Samyang have done it again and Im fine with that, let the name snobs blow 3/4/5 times as much. :LOL:

Last edited:
You can imagine my surprise at opening up the box from UKDigital and inside being the Samyang 85mm box... inside the box a Samyang AE 85mm f1.4 As IF UMC. Yeah that's the chipped version for £183! :LOL:

• Cheap box/bag/instructions/lens cap - which will probably need replaced with a Nikon 72mm cap
  • aperture ring very close to the body but this is no issue as it gets set to f22

As it is raining in a post-apocalyptic manner outside there will be no outside test shots but from the very fast ones I have tried indoors I am somewhat impressed. The bokeh is stunningly smooth but focus is pretty hard to get right (my first full manual lens) and rather unforgiving @ f1.4

A bit of a noob question now, you have to set too f22 otherwise you get a "FEE" error, now my understanding must be wrong but i thought you would of set it too f1.4 then let the camera change down rather than the other way around. I guess it is something I will need to read up on.

I can't wait to shoot properly in decent light. Overall very very impressed so far. Seems to me Samyang have done it again and Im fine with that, let the name snobs blow 3/4/5 times as much. :LOL:

Very interesting read. Will be keeping an eye on this. The min aperture thing. It's the same on my MF Sigma 50mm 2.8. I thought it would be the other way round as well.

I tend to use live view zoomed right in to get the focus right but obviously this relies your subject being very still. You should be able to get it spot on though.

Last edited:
I set mine wide open and have no problems as I set it up as a CPU lens.

Where is the shaking fist smiley when you need it??

Back