Samyang 85mm f/1.4 - Love it!

been on theUk digital site for the last couple of days and they are out of stock saying 5-7 days so have mailed them to find out when they are due back in.i want one and i want it now ;)

peter

I'm very interested in one of these in a Sony fit, but am wondering about some of the comments made here about focussing and aperture.

What is the difference between the AE version and the IF UMC ? What is IF UMC anyway ?

Is possible or not to set aperture on the lens ?

Does mirrorless live view or SLT live view make any difference ?

I'm very interested in one of these in a Sony fit, but am wondering about some of the comments made here about focussing and aperture.

What is the difference between the AE version and the IF UMC ? What is IF UMC anyway ?

Is possible or not to set aperture on the lens ?

Does mirrorless live view or SLT live view make any difference ?

AE is only in Nikon mount.

I think its only the AE version that has the camera controlling the aperture, the rest will use the lens.

no idea.

Are these just manual focus or are they auto? (on models with built in AF motors) I think i'm pretty interested either way! thankyou TP for the heads up :p

i have mailed Uk Digital twice now to find out when new stock has arrived with no response,a little off putting however i will percivere,anyone else had any luck yet either getting a mail response or actually getting the lens from them

i have mailed Uk Digital twice now to find out when new stock has arrived with no response,a little off putting however i will percivere,anyone else had any luck yet either getting a mail response or actually getting the lens from them

They don't seem to answer their phone either but I still took the risk on the lens and glad I did. :naughty:

I paid for the lens at 2pm, got it the next day at 11am.
They may not answer emails or the phone, but they sure ship fast!

I ordered from UK Digital yesterday even though it say`s waiting for stock and just had shipping notification with tracking number. They might have just not updated their site ?

well as a couple of you have oredered it anyway,i gave up waiting for a message reply from them and ordered it inspite of the website saying no stock,just had a confirmation mail it is posted with tracking details so it should be with me tomorrow :)

Mine arrived this morning,so excellent next day delivery,i have spent the last hour experimenting with it and i have to say im very please with it so far as its working as it should on my fuji s5pro.it is actually very well built and it feels as solid as my more expensive sigma and nikon lenses,my only slight dissapointment is the stiffness of the focus ring which i would describe as firm.of course this may wear in slightly and i hope it does because im used to focussing with ease rather than strength.another point is that the instructional manual consists of a tiny leaflet which does cover what i need to know anyway and finally there is no warranty card or information at all covering warrenty so im not sure if there is any !! hmm

peter

Note : the UK Digital price has now increased to £199 which i think is still cheaper than anywhere else

peter

just found the warranty information under UK Digitals website terms and conditions.it seems that the warranty is with UK Digital and it is a 1 year warranty with them only and hang on to your receipt because it will be required if it is faulty or becomes faulty during that 1 year period

it states

"Faulty Goods
If you suspect a fault with your product please email us on returns@ukdigital.co.uk. We will then either assess the possible fault ourselves or may direct you to the respective manufacturers helpline. This initial call may prevent any unnecessary return to us saving you, the customer the return delivery cost should the product be found in full working order. In such as case will reserve the right to return the goods to you with a £10 administration charge. However if there is an obvious defect and/or under the manufacturers recommendation it needs to be returned, please notify us on returns@ukdigital.co.uk, and a returns reference will be given to you.

Within 28 days of purchase, if your goods are faulty we will offer a prompt replacement or refund of the relevant components. This does not apply to faults caused by accident, neglect or misuse. A replacement will only be issued when the faulty item provided is in ‘as new' condition and undergone an initial technical examination. We must be notified of the fault within 28 days of purchase and proof of purchase MUST be provided.

If your purchase develops a fault after 28 days and within its 12 month guarantee we will ask you to either return the goods to ourselves or direct to the manufacturers. We generally recommend to return goods direct to the manufacturers as this will be quicker. Any goods that are faulty will be replaced or repaired free of charge. PLEASE NOTE: Any repairs must be accompanied by your original purchase reciept"

i will still be emailing them for confirmation that this information is correct.

peter

Glad you got yours, mine didn't arrive. No fault of UK Digital but RoyalMail, Track and Trace shows as for today but it didn't come. :(

AWESOME!!! Just got hold of one...listed as Ex-Demo but described as new and not used by the nice chap at Colchester London Camera Exchange for the princely sum of £166 delivered!!!

I'm one happy chicken!!!!! w00t! Been after one for a loooong time but couldn't justify the price (UKDigital don't do Pentax fit) and nearly spat my brew out when I saw this one! :woot:

AWESOME!!! Just got hold of one...listed as Ex-Demo but described as new and not used by the nice chap at Colchester London Camera Exchange for the princely sum of £166 delivered!!!

I'm one happy chicken!!!!! w00t! Been after one for a loooong time but couldn't justify the price (UKDigital don't do Pentax fit) and nearly spat my brew out when I saw this one! :woot:

that's one hellova price ! :O

congrats !

I think I'm gonna sell mine. Need af for kids.

must admit (owning a substancial collection of manual lenses) that AF is pretty much a necessity for the kids....unless you have super speedy spidey reflexes!!

must admit (owning a substancial collection of manual lenses) that AF is pretty much a necessity for the kids....unless you have super speedy spidey reflexes!!

I bet you can train yourself up so good it could beat the AF . but - the af lenses aren't that much more expensive to do so. other thing is Leica etc users .

No way. Kids are just too quick and erratic.

No way. Kids are just too quick and erratic.

ha ! just shot a frame , but yes - it was with 45mm lens. and he just flips out when sees camera pointing at him ! :D

I suppose it's like with a good hunter you have to understand and predict the movements of the animal ! :D

:p

just loving it at the moment, spent a family bbq trying to get shots of the kids....managed more than I thought to be honest, although a split prism/microprism focussing screen helps big time (along with the K-7's very accurate focus confirm). At f1.4, naturally;

5644262440_4ef552a094_b.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the Pentax FA* 85mm at ƒ/1.4, manually focused:
Jack_85mm_f1-4_IMGP5732.jpg

Used mine at an engagement session the other week and they came out great. Rattled off 3-4 shots to make sure one was sharp and got a 50% hit rate. Very sharp when you do get it right

Back