Samyang 85mm f/1.4 - Love it!

So is it just a case of practice with this lens then?The one I was gonna go for @ £169 has gone..gutted.

DEANSUPREME said:
So is it just a case of practice with this lens then?The one I was gonna go for @ £169 has gone..gutted.

To a degree yes it's practice. You soon learn roughly where or how far you need to turn the ring to get the correct focus. I suggest trying it with the lenses you gave first. Put them on manual focus and just try shooting

Is the lens plastic or metal? Can't tell from the images of it I've seen. Not that the materials matters for the price considering the IQ.

Come on..I need some more shots with this lens.So I don't talk myself out of getting one.:D

5549234725_715e503694_b.jpg

Im so annoyed i have not had time to get out with the lens. When I do, I'll get the shots up.

Same here. I might go out in a minute, but Im not very good at street photography and I dont know what else to shoot with it.

Same here. I might go out in a minute, but Im not very good at street photography and I dont know what else to shoot with it.

Ive got some candid pub shots in mind. One of the local haunts is candle lit so will be pushing it to its limits (and mine) in there. Im going to try some studio shots and street photography also but Im so busy at the minute, by the time I get a free moment its late evening.

Last edited:
I'll do some Nikon 85mm f/1.8's as soon as possible. I didnt have enough room in my bag today for it. Ive just got back from the Cathedral, where I took some shots with the Samyang. I'll get processing and post some up...

Love those daffs and the hymn books. :)

:clap: Some great shots there..please keep them coming. I think I will get one of these when UK digital get them back in stock. Will the rangefinder feature on the d5000 work with this lens?

:clap: Some great shots there..please keep them coming. I think I will get one of these when UK digital get them back in stock. Will the rangefinder feature on the d5000 work with this lens?

It will with the AE version but not in Manual mode. You can use the 'green dot' in manual and when you know where the focus point is (mine is immediately prior to the green dot when focusing out) you will be fine.

As much of my stuff is taking pics of toddlers who often move a lot, how easy is it to focus? I never use MF and just think I would miss loads of shots using this lens?

Any links to other suppliers that have it in stock for similar price as uk digital were doing it? Cant see you can go wrong with this tbh..if you dont get on with the manual focusing I am sure it would easily sell again judging by the recent interest in it.:cool:

The next cheapest seems to be eBay at £249.

Back