Samyang 85mm f/1.4 - Love it!

Sorry for the silly questions;

I take it Samyang are Jap lens manufactures? Manual focus only? Might Samyang be better or same quality as Zeiss lenses? Do they make lenses for Canon fit?

Thanks!

Korean
Manual focus only
Not sure about Zeiss - But the quality of the pictures from Samyang speaks volumes
They do make Canon fit

Thanks for that!

Do they make the Samyang 85 f/1.4 new or only used etc? What kind of cost either new or used?

Do you need a lens adaptor for Canon body?

Thanks TCR4x4;

I know nothing about Samyang, have they been on the go for a long time? Seems a 'best kept secret'. I've never heard of them, but the results look fabulous.

I may consider selling my Canon 85 f/1.8 soon, what kind of cost is the Samyang 35mm lens? Is the 35mm f/1.8 or f1.4 or 1.2...?

Thanks.

macvisual said:
Does the Samyang 35mm and 85mm work ok on a full frame Canon 5D/1..?

Anyone...?

Yes, they're ff compatible.

Anyone still using one of these lenses? Your thoughts as to quality, practicality?

Would love to see some more images.

Quality - second to none.

Practicality - depends what/how you shoot.

From the lack of responses compared with a few months ago I suspect we should soon see a batch of "Samyang for sale ... I just don't use it any more" threads :)

gramps said:
From the lack of responses compared with a few months ago I suspect we should soon see a batch of "Samyang for sale ... I just don't use it any more" threads :)

Never tried one, have you?

Still use mine all the time. Infact last Sunday I went out armed just with my D700 and the 85mm.

There simply isnt anything else like it for the money. The next best thing is the Sigma 85mm which is over double the price.

The ONLY reason Id get rid of it, is if a Sigma came up cheap, as AF would be usefull, but not £500 extra, usefull.

There isnt a better feeling nailing a shot at f/1.4. Its down to you and your skill. You have no exuses to fall back on. If its soft, its your fault, if the focus is off, its your fault..
No front or backfocus excuses here, just pure mechanics and skill.

Ok, I'm nearly convinced, probably try sell my Canon 85mm f/1.8 and go for the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 version, then aim next for the 35mm, nice!

I don't mind manual focus.

So tempted by these lenses (hopefully their 24mm will be just as good when it's released next month).

I shoot people mainly, street, casual and some studio. This includes my two kids so MF is a bit of a worry but I've not seen anything else that produces such wonderfully sharp pictures wide open - regardless of price.

Ohhhhhhh..... decisions, decisions

Tom, I've also been looking at the Sigma offerings but the lack of a 35mm puts me off. It's my all time favourite focal length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any vignetting on FF?

Back