• use the money to buy some filters

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • none of the above - you tell me

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so arkady is in the military?

I'll donate if I he takes me out with him in to the field? :p lol

Would love to do combat photography, I blame my uncle who served in Northern Ireland as a photographer.

Splog, you've said your piece, its understood how you feel. However, i think it would be wise to just drop it now otherwise you are just going to be repeating yourself for no reason. If people want to donate they will.

Last edited:
It may be well meant, but the fact remains that there are two threads going asking for freebies :thinking:

Yes, and bear in mind that this one is NOTHING to do with the person you are ultimately taking a pop at! The original thread started with him posting to say he was off there - as he always does. Subsequently that went to people offering to send stuff - initially just reading matter then other offers have come pouring in.

I'm not saying that you're wrong - I'm not saying you're right, just that possibly this needs looking at a little more before too much more is said so that the people in charge - the mods - can decide whether it is right for the forums, and right full stop.

guys will you all calm down if you have nothing usefull to post then please dont this is not a witch hunt (Sorry witch not aimed at you lol )

this is for a fellow tp'er if you feel this thread is wrong report it

everyone is sick of argument's on here please dont not make this into another argument closed thread

we have lost a free competition recently to this and this is only going to make this place look bad and its not what we want

w

so arkady is in the military?

I'll donate if I he takes me out with him in to the field? :p lol

Would love to do combat photography, I blame my uncle who served in Northern Ireland as a photographer.

Splog, you've said your piece, its understood how you feel. However, i think it would be wise to just drop it now otherwise you are just going to be repeating yourself for no reason. If people want to donate they will.

If people want to donate then good wishes to them all and btw anyone fancy sending me a Xmas CF card :D

Oh Please! ... If you are to quote me then do so properly, I have made no accusations and I haven't said any such things as you are implying! ... You can have your opinions the same as we all can, but if you don't agree then at least explain why?

Splog - I hadn't quoted you, for two reasons: The mods may decide to remove posts - if they do, then me leaving your quote out saves them having to do an edit on my post as well as the one they remove. Also I had hoped that having already self-acknowledged that your comment was harsh, you might think better of it and remove or tone it down, in which case you wouldn't have wanted my quoting of it staring you in the face!

I've already explained my reasons for commenting are nothing to do with the thread itself, just the way it's going. I have no intention of going over the same ground again.

As for the quote that you felt should be in - the bit that really bothered me (which seemed like a pretty unpleasant accusation TBH) was this:

... The guy is pimping his position for some nice freebies..

Like I and others have now said though - best cooled off and left until it can be looked at. :shrug:

guys will you all calm down if you have nothing usefull to post then please dont this is not a witch hunt (Sorry witch not aimed at you lol )

Ah well, if you're going to be like that.....:bat: LOL!

Nah, no offence taken - my username has been known to get taken in vain on occasions!! :LOL:

It may be well meant, but the fact remains that there are two threads going asking for freebies :thinking:

right i was not going to say anything.. but i was the one that first bought up the idea of welfare boxes in the other thread. this happens in newpapers and tv programmes all over the place it is called thinking of our lads...

as to this thread i doubt very very much the army will shell out for what he needs and as his address is where it is i doubt very much he can order one.

god forbid we help out a fellow tog, a friend, a solider, whats the world coming to???? people being nice?????

morning all!

I dunno turn me back for five minutes...
Glad eveyone's had their say

If anyone feels uncomfortable donating - that's fine
For those that want to - we're half way there already :clap:

(oh and can we keep it on thread now please - pretty please)

will do an sorry..
glad you have got that far in such a short space of time...

Oh dear...not good...
I only asked 'if' in a slightly tongue-in-cheek way...

Well - firstly I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of some people on here - this and other kindnesses will be repaid with interest upon my return next year - I will organise something suitably challenging in a photographic sense for anyone interested to come along to, along with food and drink provided my me...maybe an uber-street seminar...or maybe a trip to the Gaza Strip for some conflict togging!!!

I deliberately stayed out of this thread until now and even asked the Mods if they could lock me out just so I couldn't see or influence what was going on, but now that I have I'm a bit upset by all the controversy this has caused.

Yes - I am a paid photographer - I work for the Army.
We have most of our kit supplied, but by no means all - the cameras I took over had no neck-staps when I signed for them and a pair of D3 straps were kindly donated so that I didn't have to use para-cord any more.
The sensors hadn't been cleaned since they arrived in-theatre back in June because there is no cleaning equipment available. They were filthy - really, REALLY bad...not Woody's fault - he just had no cleaning kit - the cleaning kit I brought with me I bought myself - I always have done, but the sensors need a bit more TLC than what I have here is capable of...plus I only have about 10 swabs left...
I asked Land Command (my suppliers) to provide cleaning kit and have been told that until the dramas with the quartermaster there have been resolved, no spares or cleaning kit will be available...nor will I be getting the 72mm UV and ND filters I've indented for - not until after Xmas at the earliest anyway...
Most Army photographers use their own equipment to a greater or lesser degree - last year in Iraq I used my own 17-35mm f/2.8 because none were available through the system. Woody used his own SU800 and has kindly allowed me to buy it off him so that I can continue doing the kind of multi-off-camera flash set-up images he'd been doing (goal-posts moving all the time and we have to keep abreast of it all...lol).
This year I am using all my own 50mm f/1.4, my own Lowe-Pro camera bag, my own Gitzo tripod and my own Sandisk Extreme IV 8Gb CF cards because the only ones available were old (slow) 2Gb cards from an unknown supplier...
Most of the software, including the copy of CS4 I'm editing with was bought by me because I'm only supplied with CS...

I am currently wearing a pair of US Army desert boots originally worn during Op GRANBY (Desert Storm) because the quartermasters seem unable to locate a pair of 8L desert boots for me - plenty of 8M - but they tear my feet up after about 4 hours - tried that, ended up in physio for 6 months...

In short, we get most of what we need, but not everything.
If you feel strongly that I'm not deserving of the kind of offers made here, then I'll ask mmcp-42 to donate all monies raised thus far to Help For Heroes...

I don't want to be the cause of any dissention or bad feeling here - unless I set out to on purpose of course...lol

Nicely said Rob (y).

Now lets get back into the true spirit of Christmas giving. :)

Oh, and I've already given to Help the Heroes a few times so my donation in this thread is definitely for your gift, ok dear! :bat:

Last edited:
If anyone has really strong views against the general theme of this thread they would be better employed writing to their MP about the lack of political support for our Forces rather than whinging on here.

If you don't want to contribute then ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely said Rob (y).

Now lets get back into the true spirit of Christmas giving. :)

Oh, and I've already given to Help the Heroes a few times so my donation in this thread is definitely for your gift, ok dear! :bat:[/QUOTE]

:plus1:

I regularly raise money and donate to a number of worthy causes, including help for heros and I see no problem in chipping in a few quid for this. I can understand where other people are coming from about it being the responsibility of the MOD to supply gear, but obviously their are problems. Case in point being soldiers taking a second job to fund the purchase of their own gear? LINK

I suspect you may be held to your words about Gaza :LOL:

suggestion: why dont we close this thread and use the paypal address for donating to help for heroes?.
I think there is another thread for donating to good causes? Maybe the paypal address could be posted in there.

suggestion: why dont we close this thread and use the paypal address for donating to help for heroes?.
I think there is another thread for donating to good causes? Maybe the paypal address could be posted in there.

??? How will this help with donations to Arkady's dust cleaning kit?

why not once we have go to the target then make it the help for heros then everyone is happy

I will make sure that any excess donations finish up at Help For Heroes

in the meantime we need a few more donations to hit target

I am embarassed on behalf of us all that
a) we put Arkady on the spot - he's got enough on his plate methinks
b) we managed to turn what I thought was a neat idea into a bit of a rant

any more naysaying - and never mind the MODs - I'll be round to sort it out - my thread - my rules ok! :bat:

There are people out there who like this idea - give them (us) some room to breathe

I will make sure that any excess donations finish up at Help For Heroes

in the meantime we need a few more donations to hit target

I am embarassed on behalf of us all that
a) we put Arkady on the spot - he's got enough on his plate methinks
b) we managed to turn what I thought was a neat idea into a bit of a rant

any more naysaying - and never mind the MODs - I'll be round to sort it out - my thread - my rules ok! :bat:

:clap: (y)

There are people out there who like this idea - give them (us) some room to breathe

He said he will donate the money to help for heroes

...not quite - I said if everyone decides against it, then I'll ask MMCP42 to send it to HFH...

Talk to him and decide what you all want to do...I'm sorry it's all gone a bit wonky...

I understood that's what you meant, Arkady! (y)

As far as I can see it's only the naysayers who are against it
everyone who has contributed had been
a) very generous
b) attached a little note in support

I'll forward those too once we have a result

AND WE WILL GET A RESULT!!!:rules:

...not quite - I said if everyone decides against it, then I'll ask MMCP42 to send it to HFH...

Talk to him and decide what you all want to do...I'm sorry it's all gone a bit wonky...

Sorry my bad. I miss read it and thought you said all the money should go to charity instead

...I'm sorry it's all gone a bit wonky...

Don't you dare apologise for something that is not your fault Mister. :nono: :D

My man is ex RAF and was in the Falklands and the 1st Gulf war, if someone had done this for him then to cheer him up then I would have been extremely grateful! (y)

...I'm sorry it's all gone a bit wonky...

Don't you dare apologise for something that is not your fault Mister. :nono: :D

My man is ex RAF and was in the Falklands and the 1st Gulf war, if someone had done this for him then to cheer him up then I would have been extremely grateful! (y)

very nicely put Susane! :clap:
and now's a good time to catch the evening crowd (shakes tin and smiles)

(ok, if I promise NOT to smile...)

Stick me and Eileen in for a donation to Robs cleaning kit.....its the least we can do

Back