weekly Sarah's 52 2012 : *ON HOLD for a while*

Argh 3 weeks in and late :) Sorry Sarah!

Loving Float....wonderfully lit, sharp where it needs to be and really well set up :) Your skull for Fear is a corker two...really creative and a great capture!

As for Doom and Gloom - wow I love it...immediately thought of Marvin the Paranoid Android....superb lighting and light effects.....great 'pose'... really well done....!

Sigh is just too damn cute and again brilliantly lit and exposed

A great pait of shots.....Doom and Gloom though....Fantastic :D

Unfortunately Sidney the skull is actually an aquarium ornament and has a huge gaping hole in the top of his head that makes 3/4 shots a touch challenging for him. Front on is definitely his best side :LOL:

Poor Sidney - I hope I didn't embarrass or offend him! :confused:

Doom and Gloom: This made me think of an actor/singer/comedian who had 'died' (in the theatrical sense) on stage and stood, dejected, not quite knowing what to do next. The lighting looks rather like stage lighting which added to the effect. Very creative. (y)

Sigh: I'm glad I didn't have to attempt this one - full marks for keeping up both themes. Yes, she certainly looks as though she's sighing and wondering why all these grown-ups don't leave her in peace to float off into her own little world. It's a gentle and sweet. :) I think it would look good with a square crop to get rid of dead space above her head, and maybe black and white, or even a slight tint or desat. I think it would lift it from a nice shot to a good one. :)

Hope next week goes as well for you - you're definitely on a roll! :clap:

Jean

Doom and Gloom, excellent, really well setup and the light is spot on... love it

Sigh, I, like Jean, saw this and was glad I didn't have to do it ... what a horrible theme. That's a lovely image, well exposed and composed. I'm with Jean though, I think a square crop would really make it

Cracking form this year so far Sarah (y)

Doom and Gloom is one of those inspired shots that look a lot easier than they are and as Jean said looks like a failed performer. Its posture is perfect and I love the lighting. Another great week from you :clap::clap:

Wow!

I was going to say what a wonderful image the little mannequin is for sigh, then realised you've submitted it for doom and gloom. Works for that, but if that guy ain't sighing, then I've misunderstood what a sigh is!

Your shot for sigh is stunning in it's own right, but I'm struggling to see how it's connected to sigh?

Wow!

I was going to say what a wonderful image the little mannequin is for sigh, then realised you've submitted it for doom and gloom. Works for that, but if that guy ain't sighing, then I've misunderstood what a sigh is!

Your shot for sigh is stunning in it's own right, but I'm struggling to see how it's connected to sigh?

I'm with Mark on this weeks shots -

Love "Doom & Gloom", the lighting and posing of the mannequin is perfect. I even love how the feet are posed - and the wooden table he is stood on fits in very nicely. It works equally well for sigh so I think you could have left it at that.

Your shot for sigh is not doing it for me in terms of the theme I'm afraid - I think you probably had to be there to understand the little persons frustration because it's not really coming across from the photo for me.

Hi Sarah,

First visit here, I'm trying to get all around the '52s' but I can't believe how time consuming it is ! I really like all your images so far your very creative. I do agree with the others about the mannequin comments but it was tough theme and I also had similar comments.

Nick (y)

Sarah I think your new Doom and Gloom is a fantastic shot the lighting and composition are spot on. Sigh is a lovely shot but if I am honest Doom and Gloom says sigh more to me than the sigh shot but tbh sigh has been my worst ever theme in the 52s.

Hi Sarahlee

WOW....I'm in no position to crit on your images...no-where near good enough .

The skull image is just stunning ...simply wonderful :clap::clap:

your ability with pp is just brilliant...

the baby is a wonderful image (y)

I really don't feel fit to offer any crit....a million times better than anything I could do...but give me something to aim for

So looking forward to following your thread (y)

Hi Sarah
Nice to be back on talk photography,your pics are still as good as I can remember from a few years ago when you started your first 52 :clap::clap: well respected and your effort shows in your images.

Hiya! Just catching up - some nice images here, but the skull is by far my favourite!

Phil

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments and suggestions.
I guess you're all right and Mannie the little manequin could have sat in for both of week 3's themes !!!

Sorry I'm so late coming back to this. I've had a stinking cold for the last week and a half and my eyes have been streaming too much to spend time staring at a monitor - so I hope you'll forgive me for not responding individually to every reply this week.

I now have 2 weeks to catch up on to get back on track, so off to shoot weeks 5 and 6 this afternoon.

Jean / John : a square crop for sigh will also be along this afternoon and then I can start catching up with commenting (y)

I really like your images Sarah, the 'skull' and 'sigh' are really good and you set a high standard to follow. I hope you feel better very soon .

A bit later than I expected (and I've still got communication to catch up on :confused::) but at least I'm on track on and can catch up with some of the other threads.

Fresh Start I'm afraid is very simple and not a huge amount of effort put into it - so please don't feel obliged to leave extensive critique !!!:D
Also a re-cropped B&W version of week 3. Thank you for the suggestions - I think this works a lot better.

Sarah - well done for keeping on track - you've set yourself a tall order, as well as a high standard.

And Fresh Start doesn't disappoint - beautiful colours and juicy tempting fruit. Something to life the spirits on a dull, grey February day! I can't decide whether it would look better with the focus on the oranges rather than the grapes. :shrug: But I would snip/clone off that little bit of black stalk at the top of the grapes! ;)

I like the crop for Sigh (week 3) - it lifts it to a whole new level. (y)

Jean

Hi Sarah, it's been a sickly couple of weeks for a few of us girls in this challenge :(

I love the zingy bright colours of this but my eye keeps being drawn to the oof fruit at the back so a bigger DoF would do it for me.

Goof Luck with Communication and Identity ;)

Excellent, clean, crisp and fresh looking... Gonna agree with both Jean on the black and Jill on the dof... but I like it.

The crop for Sigh is spot on, and again... gonna agree with Jean... a whole new level. (y)

Sarah - well done for keeping on track - you've set yourself a tall order, as well as a high standard.

And Fresh Start doesn't disappoint - beautiful colours and juicy tempting fruit. Something to life the spirits on a dull, grey February day! I can't decide whether it would look better with the focus on the oranges rather than the grapes. :shrug: But I would snip/clone off that little bit of black stalk at the top of the grapes! ;)

I like the crop for Sigh (week 3) - it lifts it to a whole new level. (y)

Jean

Thanks Jean . . . I was a little disappointed in it because it was such a rushed effort, but at least it's kept me on track and nice to know that it's not gone down as the disaster I thought it was :LOL:
I think I really could have done with a wider DoF, but was being very lazy - and I keep forgetting that I can push the ISO further with the 7D.

(y) Your suggestion for the crop on sigh was inspired. It looks so much better for that. Thank you !!!

Hi Sarah, it's been a sickly couple of weeks for a few of us girls in this challenge :(

I love the zingy bright colours of this but my eye keeps being drawn to the oof fruit at the back so a bigger DoF would do it for me.

Goof Luck with Communication and Identity ;)

Thanks Jill.
I haven't had time to pop in to many threads the last couple of weeks, so hope everyone else's sickly spell has passed.
I think you're right with the DoF . . . pure laziness on my part for not bothering to get the lights and tripod out :LOL:

Excellent, clean, crisp and fresh looking... Gonna agree with both Jean on the black and Jill on the dof... but I like it.

The crop for Sigh is spot on, and again... gonna agree with Jean... a whole new level. (y)

Thanks John.
There's always a reshoot week and I really do need to work on that DoF.

Hiya Sarah, fresh start is great, I like the mix of colours in there, perhaps a little bit wider so the grapes are fully in the frame. Really like the crop of week 3, that works very well indeed.

Thank you Michael.

That fruit looks very inviting :)

Thank you Ruth

RIGHT !!!
My cold has gone away, I'm back from working in London for the last couple of days and I have my motivated hat on . . . so it's about time to get myself back on track and up to date with everyone else's threads :LOL:

Here's identity.
I've taken a few things relating to my family history and my own past . . . things that I suppose make me who I am.
Hopefully the birth certificate and my baby book don't need any explanation - but in amongst that I have an antique locket with my great grandmother and great, great(?) aunt's photos; my mum's wedding ring and some decorations from the first wedding that I was a bridesmaid at.

Now hopefully there's not going to be any carnage in the staffroom tonight so I can try to get around a few 52 threads :LOL:

This is lovely, Sarah - I like your collection of family memorabilia - and they work together as a photograph. Do we get to peep inside your Baby Book? :)

I particularly love the way the baby on the book is waving at the photos in the locket - very neat. :clap:

Good to hear you're fit and well again!

Jean

Sarah (late again) - your Fresh Start actually made my mouth water, lovely colours, great subject and composition and oozing freshness :) winner :)

Identity is lovely - so many tokens there that identify us that I'm sure we can all identify with and relate to

Nicely shot with lots for the eye to take in!

A good pair of shots hitting the themes perfectly! (y)

An excellent idea for Identity, nicely composed, and put together, like Jean, love the way the baby is waving at the locket, DOF is spot on.

It's all been said really and I agree with it.

It could have ended up just being a picture of a few things from someone's life but the composition and the use of textures and DoF make it a winner.

One look at this and I know you are feeling better, and as for the staff room threaten to take away the biscuits :bat: :LOL:

This is lovely, Sarah - I like your collection of family memorabilia - and they work together as a photograph. Do we get to peep inside your Baby Book? :)

I particularly love the way the baby on the book is waving at the photos in the locket - very neat. :clap:

Good to hear you're fit and well again!

Jean

Thank you Jean.
I think I can oblige with a peek inside the baby book. I'll pop some pics up later!

p.s. I wish I could say that the baby waving at the locket was composed deliberately . . . but until you pointed it out I hadn't even noticed. Just a lucky coincidence :LOL:

Sarah (late again) - your Fresh Start actually made my mouth water, lovely colours, great subject and composition and oozing freshness :) winner :)

Identity is lovely - so many tokens there that identify us that I'm sure we can all identify with and relate to

Nicely shot with lots for the eye to take in!

A good pair of shots hitting the themes perfectly! (y)

John you're not as late as me. I haven't been round the 52s for 2 weeks now. I'm going to put that right this morning, but thank you for commenting.

An excellent idea for Identity, nicely composed, and put together, like Jean, love the way the baby is waving at the locket, DOF is spot on.

Thanks John . . . From now on, I think I'm going to claim that composition as being by design rather than accident :LOL:

It's all been said really and I agree with it.

It could have ended up just being a picture of a few things from someone's life but the composition and the use of textures and DoF make it a winner.

One look at this and I know you are feeling better, and as for the staff room threaten to take away the biscuits :bat: :LOL:

Thanks Jill.
I've now hidden the biscuits, so that should at least keep things quiet enough for me to have a catch up on the rest of the 52 threads!

Really getting back on track now.
Here's "communicate", which I missed back in week 4 and I've just shot a re-take of "fresh start" with a wider DoF plus "simple". They'll be along shortly when I have a chance to process them.

I think the PP on this version may be a bit Marmite, but at mum's request she wanted a "painted feel" to it, so that she could have it printed on canvas. I'm not sure if I hit the mark or not, but I actually quite like it.

Processing aside, I really do like the way that he's leaning over to whisper in her ear. He's telling her to look at the camera . . . I never did quite manage to get one of them both looking forwards :LOL:

I also have a more conventionally processed version that I can put up later on request.

Catching up tonight beofre I post my shots!
Love your communication shot. The girls expression is just great! I must admit to not being a fan of the "painted" look but otherwise its great.
Fresh start. Certainly looks fresh! You taste lemons wgen you look at that shot! So crisp and fresh looking.
Identity. I love this eclectic arrangement of papers, jewellery etc. Very well excecuted considering all the textures and surfaces

I thought that it was about time for me to have a look through some of the 52ers (y) I've been concentrating on my fellow hardcore POTDers recently :LOL: I have to say Sarah you have some of the most amazing photo's in this thread since the start of the year, it's nice to see Sydney still handing around (y)

I'll try and call in from time to time (y)

Matt

Catching up tonight beofre I post my shots!
Love your communication shot. The girls expression is just great! I must admit to not being a fan of the "painted" look but otherwise its great.
Fresh start. Certainly looks fresh! You taste lemons wgen you look at that shot! So crisp and fresh looking.
Identity. I love this eclectic arrangement of papers, jewellery etc. Very well excecuted considering all the textures and surfaces

Thanks Miss C.
I knew that the PP wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I must post the non-processed one up . . . but I'm on the laptop tonight and it's saved on my other PC.

I like it Sarah, it works well, though the bit to the right hand side of the little girls head appears a bit smudged, it kind of takes my eye away a little, but that is being picky really. I reckon it would make a great canvas.

Thanks Michael.
I'll take a look at that bit on the RHS on the full size image. She hasn't had it printed yet, so still time for me to tinker :D

I thought that it was about time for me to have a look through some of the 52ers (y) I've been concentrating on my fellow hardcore POTDers recently :LOL: I have to say Sarah you have some of the most amazing photo's in this thread since the start of the year, it's nice to see Sydney still handing around (y)

I'll try and call in from time to time (y)

Matt

Thank you Matt.
I have no idea how you're managing a POTD - one a week is a struggle at times :LOL:
I'll pop over to your thread and have a catch up when I have chance.

Back