weekly Sarah's 52 2012 : *ON HOLD for a while*

I really like your take on identity, nicely composed with all the different components.

Communication is a lovely shot kids doing what they do best :)

Simple - very similar to my shot I like the black and white but I would have brought the rose stem in from a corner, although some times that can make it harder to get the view you want on the flower :/

Communication... Lovely, a wonderful shot, I really like the processing, and the look on her face is wonderful.

Simple... Really like it, it's clean and simple. Not sure it wouldn't have worked well with just bringing in the corner of the tile that the rose is sat on, sort of framing the rose more.

your images all seem to have a very soft and gentle composition (although your focus is sharp) it's a very nice style you have. 'Communicate' and 'Identity' are superb.

Hi Sarah - your Commuication shot is just gorgeous :) Fantastic mood, great expression on the little girl's face...just a lovely shot. The processing is so delicate too...great :)

And Simple - another rose shot :) I find the tile lines a tad distracting I'm afraid...the rose itself is lovely and there is an air of sadness about the shot for me....a fallen rose,discarded? I'm rambling! :)

Nice pair of theme fitters :)

Communication: The shot's great - you've caught the perfect expression on the little girl's face - concentrating on what her big brother (?) is saying. The processing has the look of an Old Master and perfectly suits her pretty dress, and the innocence of her expression. Beautiful portrait. (y)

Simple: I think the line at the bottom is distracting, but I'd leave the others in - it puts the flower in context and makes the most of the negative space. Fits the bill very well, Sarah.

Look forward to Fresh Start when you're ready!

Jean

Kind of agree with the others on the grey lines and it does tend to look a little sad as Dark Star commented but I do like the light on the front of the rose, very delicate and part of me likes the grouting framing the flower. I cant decide!

very nice pic for simple and the background works very well. Very fitting for the theme. I would be tempted to crop the grey line out.

Thanks Michael.
Looks like those grout lines are proving a bit unpopular so you're not on your own with that.

I really like your take on identity, nicely composed with all the different components.

Communication is a lovely shot kids doing what they do best :)

Simple - very similar to my shot I like the black and white but I would have brought the rose stem in from a corner, although some times that can make it harder to get the view you want on the flower :/

Thanks Ruth.
When I get 5 minutes I may have a play with re-cropping simple - I won't be able to get the stem coming from a corner, but I might be able to find something a little more pleasing.

Communication... Lovely, a wonderful shot, I really like the processing, and the look on her face is wonderful.

Simple... Really like it, it's clean and simple. Not sure it wouldn't have worked well with just bringing in the corner of the tile that the rose is sat on, sort of framing the rose more.

Thanks John.
I thought the processing on communication was really going to split opinions, but I'm glad its going down well.
Simple I agree could have done with some more thought on framing, but I'll see what I can manage with a crop.

your images all seem to have a very soft and gentle composition (although your focus is sharp) it's a very nice style you have. 'Communicate' and 'Identity' are superb.

Thank you (y)

Hi Sarah - your Commuication shot is just gorgeous :) Fantastic mood, great expression on the little girl's face...just a lovely shot. The processing is so delicate too...great :)

And Simple - another rose shot :) I find the tile lines a tad distracting I'm afraid...the rose itself is lovely and there is an air of sadness about the shot for me....a fallen rose,discarded? I'm rambling! :)

Nice pair of theme fitters :)

Thanks John.
I haven't managed to get around all the threads for simple yet, but I'm guessing roses were popular then? :LOL:
You know what they say about great minds and all that !!!

Simple - I think a closer crop on the rose and loose the lines from the tiles - slightly distracting imo

Thank you Dade - I'll definitely have a look at cropping.
As for the grout lines, they do seem to be a bit marmite . . . if I clone them out, will it still be simple though? :D

Communication: The shot's great - you've caught the perfect expression on the little girl's face - concentrating on what her big brother (?) is saying. The processing has the look of an Old Master and perfectly suits her pretty dress, and the innocence of her expression. Beautiful portrait. (y)

Simple: I think the line at the bottom is distracting, but I'd leave the others in - it puts the flower in context and makes the most of the negative space. Fits the bill very well, Sarah.

Look forward to Fresh Start when you're ready!

Jean

Thank you Jean.
I'm glad that you mentioned the Old Master thing. That was what I was aiming for, with a view to mum getting it printed on canvas.
Having sorted that slip at the back of her head I was quite proud of how it came out when the finished canvas arrived.

p.s. They are brother and sister. Do you remember the maternity photos that I posted last year? Maddie was the end result :)

:D Clone tool and crop at the ready to fix simple up a bit.

Kind of agree with the others on the grey lines and it does tend to look a little sad as Dark Star commented but I do like the light on the front of the rose, very delicate and part of me likes the grouting framing the flower. I cant decide!

Thanks Miss C.
The grouting is definitely splitting opinions, so I'll have a play and try with a few variations on the crop.

. . . for all of you who thought they looked so sweet and angelic in communication :LOL:

He started to get frustrated that she wasn't listening to him and wouldn't look at the camera when he told her to.
She didn't like being shouted at, so swatted him across the head and then the nose.
End result - a temper tantrum and quite a few tears.

Who said that the camera never lies ?!!!!

(Sorry for the image quality, it's SOC with no PP, but thought I'd share for the amusement factor)

Phew !!!

I'm finding this so difficult this year.
Things are starting to move forward for me on the photography front and off the back of all my practice sessions on my long-suffering nephews and nieces I have a few paid photoshoots lined up.

Unfortunately between that and the day job, my 52 is slipping to the bottom of the priority list :(

A complete cheat this week.
Another one from the same session as "communication" and I'm going to shoe-horn it into the other 52 theme for week 8 and call it handmade . . . well her little tutu and headband were made by hand :shrug:

I love the haunting processing on Simple, superbly done.

My eye however is drawn to the lines leading away so I'm not really focussing on the rose :(

Definitely fits the theme though, and I love your 'after' shot for Communication :LOL:

And well done on the commisions :clap::clap::clap:

:LOL: on the outtake... good job the theme wasn't peace

Lovely portrait for handmade, spot on for the theme in a lot of ways...

Congrats on the commissions too.

So glad you Mum was pleased with the end result of the Communication shot, and the outtake is classic! :LOL:

Handmade: lovely portrait and you're allowed to shoehorn when the results are this attractive. I love the tight crop and lovely expression in her eyes. She's a great model (when not beating up her big brother).

It's great you're getting commissions from your child portrait shoots, Sarah, and I can imagine how difficult it is to fit everything in. With a bit of ingenuity (which you have in spades!) you could turn every topic round to a portrait shoot, I'm sure. ;)

Jean

Thank you all for the lovely comments.

With everything going on at the moment, I've decided to put this on hold for a little while. It's a huge struggle to get free time for this right now and I keep beating myself for not popping into everyone else's threads for a catch up :(
I don't like to look at anyone else's shot until I've got mine in the bag - and with the amount that I'm falling behind I don't know when I'm going to get round to everyone.

Don't worry - I'll be back!!!
This is just a temporary break and I fully intend picking it back up in a month or so when things calm down (I might even catch up on the themes I've missed)

Until then I can at least spend the free time that I do have actually enjoying the forums and stopping in to comment on some photos - rather than stressing over my 52 :LOL:

Sounds to me like a good decision Sarah. No need to stress over it. Good luck getting free time.

Hi Sarah, good luck with your break and recharge of battery's. Like you, I am finding it hard to find the time for shooting themes and even less to comment on other peoples work. The main aim is to shoot the themes to meet the challenge. Home life, work and holidays are bound to affect us all over the year and this is the way I am dealing with the challenge. Comments are an important part that helps others know if their work is right on theme and what improvements can be made, but I find most of my commnets approve of the shots submitted and although I wish I could be more subjective time limits only allow for a few per week.

Back