Sarah's 52 for 2010 - Pt2 - THE END - Final reshoots added

SarahLee

TPer Emerita
Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
No
:wave: Hello and welcome back to Part 2.
A big well done to everyone who’s made it past the half way mark.

Before I dive into the next week, just a quick recap on progress so far.

For anyone who doesn’t know me, there’s a bit about me here.

And as a reminder, here are weeks 1-26. I wanted to see them all in one place to help me see where I’m up to and identify any candidates for reshoots – Feel free to make your own suggestions too.
Some have already been replaced or tweaked thanks to the great help and comments in part 1 of this 52.

Last edited:
As soon as this was pulled I knew what I wanted to do, so here are 2 takes on the same theme. I think version 2 is the one that I'm going to go with.

As always C&C welcome.

Apologies for being a bit rubbish at commenting on others and replying to my thread this week - was working away from home again Wednesday to Friday.

BTW : Absolutely no need for anyone to revisit weeks 1-26. That was for my benefit, although suggestions for reshoot candidates are welcome.
If anyone has time I would like some C&C on week 19. That was the fruit splash that I struggled with. This one's better, but still far from perfect.

Last edited:
great idea for this weeks theme. I prefer the first one.. I find the second a bit over the top. Not sure about the black frames, but that's just me, I think I find them a bit wide where the image is already dark round the edges. Although the inner white edge does mirror the edge of the canvass in the photo which I do like !

Number 1 for me as well Sarah. For the same reason as Ian, the second just looks too busy.

An excellent idea for this theme. Well composed and executed.

They both seem a little dark to me though. That might be the black frame playing tricks.

Only slight thing I might have changed is the image on the canvas. I would perhaps have run it through a paint effect filter before I put it on the canvas.

Andy

for me no1 too. The image of 2 is a good one, but maybe suitable for another shot??
I agree with Andy - perhaps using a paint effect would sell the concept a little more?

eitherway good work - and CONGRATS yourself on all your shots so far, not an easy task ;)

Brilliant idea for this weeks theme. Personally I prefer #1. As Andy has said if the picture on the canvas had a paint effect added to it it may have given it an extra lift.

Its amazing to see all your weeks on one page, so many excellent shots.

great idea for this weeks theme. I prefer the first one.. I find the second a bit over the top. Not sure about the black frames, but that's just me, I think I find them a bit wide where the image is already dark round the edges. Although the inner white edge does mirror the edge of the canvass in the photo which I do like !

I`m leaning towards no1, no2 is a bit busy.
nice idea though.

Number 1 for me as well Sarah. For the same reason as Ian, the second just looks too busy.

An excellent idea for this theme. Well composed and executed.

They both seem a little dark to me though. That might be the black frame playing tricks.

Only slight thing I might have changed is the image on the canvas. I would perhaps have run it through a paint effect filter before I put it on the canvas.

Andy

for me no1 too. The image of 2 is a good one, but maybe suitable for another shot??
I agree with Andy - perhaps using a paint effect would sell the concept a little more?

eitherway good work

Brilliant idea for this weeks theme. Personally I prefer #1. As Andy has said if the picture on the canvas had a paint effect added to it it may have given it an extra lift.

Thank you all!

I won't reply individually, since the same topics have come up in all the posts - but thanks to each of you for taking the time to comment.

I seem to be in a stubborn mood tonight, since I'm sticking to my guns at the moment and still edging towards no.2.
Possibly because it doesn't look quite so busy at full size . . . but I may change my mind later in the week and it definitely doesn't mean that I'm ignoring your comments. They're appreciated as always.

The darkening of the main image was a deliberate choice to draw your eye to the canvas, which is where I wanted the focal point to be.
Although with hindsight, maybe a sharper main image and softer, dreamier "painting" might have worked better :shrug:

Andy / Dade, I did try the canvas effect but since I'd kept the DoF relatively shallow and the b/g blurred it just didn't look right. There wasn't a strong or sharp enough focal point. Although, with my "hindsight" thinking above this may have been the ideal solution.

JL - There is method in my madness with the borders :)
My intention at the end of the 52 is to print these off and display them mounted on black card, with the titles underneath in white. Mainly, as a memento of the year rather than because I think they're all print worthy.

The borders are to help me to visualise how the finished piece will look.

and CONGRATS yourself on all your shots so far, not an easy task ;)

Thank you Dade . . . although as somebody who's been posting more than one shot a week for the last 6 months, you deserve more than a few congratulations yourself.

Its amazing to see all your weeks on one page, so many excellent shots.

Thank you Darren.
I wanted an easy way to be able to flick through them all. As I said, I intend printing the finished year so this is helping to select any that I want to reshoot.

Last edited:
That's a lovely picture and a great idea. I like the duller colour of the background against the bright picture in the frame. The first one for me is the better shot and what a great location it looks like too, is this your garden?

Sarah i have to say No.1 art is for me, No.2 shot is a little too buys with the repeated pictures, where as the first one the picture itself feels like it jumps out.

I like it, just scrolled through the whole post and theres some i have seemed to of missed they great.

A really clever idea and I think you are right in choosing to have the "canvas" sharp and the background soft. Like the others I prefer #1.

Full marks for creativity and execution! :clap:

I seem to be going against the flow with my vote for #2 Sarah.
It is busier but I like the effect. I was going to attempt something like that this week but couldn't quite get the perspective correct in my sketches.
I like the darker tones in the background with the canvas and easel being the main focal point. I like the composition and colours in the canvas too. Once again your PP skills are the business(y) Your skills are evident in your posting all previous images together. Iain

That's a lovely picture and a great idea. I like the duller colour of the background against the bright picture in the frame. The first one for me is the better shot and what a great location it looks like too, is this your garden?

Thanks Chris.
And yes, that is my garden (part of it anyway) It's on a bit of a slope, so split into 3 levels. The bottom part is a gravel patio and I suppose quite sort of Victorian Gothic in planting and decor.

Sarah i have to say No.1 art is for me, No.2 shot is a little too buys with the repeated pictures, where as the first one the picture itself feels like it jumps out.

I like it, just scrolled through the whole post and theres some i have seemed to of missed they great.

Thanks David - And thanks for taking the time to scroll through.
Looks like No.1 is storming ahead in the favourites :LOL:

A really clever idea and I think you are right in choosing to have the "canvas" sharp and the background soft. Like the others I prefer #1.

Full marks for creativity and execution! :clap:

Thanks Tracer. The soft b/g was my gut feel for this shot, but I was starting to doubt myself . . . good to have it confirmed.

I seem to be going against the flow with my vote for #2 Sarah.
It is busier but I like the effect. I was going to attempt something like that this week but couldn't quite get the perspective correct in my sketches.
I like the darker tones in the background with the canvas and easel being the main focal point. I like the composition and colours in the canvas too. Once again your PP skills are the business(y) Your skills are evident in your posting all previous images together. Iain

Thanks Iain . . . that's one that agrees with me anyway :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I have to say though, that it really does look better and far less busy when seen at full size.

The darkening of the main image was a deliberate choice to draw your eye to the canvas, which is where I wanted the focal point to be.
Although with hindsight, maybe a sharper main image and softer, dreamier "painting" might have worked better :shrug:

I had a quick look last night and was edging towards #1, but looking again today I'll vote for #2. I agree with you that a larger size would benefit #2, but it's visually fascinating and I love the idea of a picture of a picture of a picture, etc. The other point in its favour for me is that the flowers in the main picture bottom right and bottom left are more vivid and help to lead the eye into the pictures on the easel. The gravel (?) foreground on the easel pictures also helps to define them.

Definitely meets the theme in spades and is a very attractive image too. In fact - your garden is as pretty as a picture. :) :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

What a clever idea! I find the second one facinating but the first is easier on the eye.

Phil

As ever a great take on the theme, #1 for me, the perspective, composition are well thought out and the lighting a colour spot on.

Hi, I like number 2 best I think.

I like both though and in number one it's as though the plants are coming out of the canvas which i like but I think 2 is more eye catching and stands out.

All the other photos in the thread are great as well! I especially like week 3, 8, 9 and 20 :)

Great idea Sarah, and very well implemented. I can see what the others mean about #2 looking a bit busy, but I really like the recursive view in the canvas. The only thing... I'm not sure of, is the fact that the canvas and frame are slowly rotating backwards as you go further into the picture. It doesn't ruin the effect, but... I have to wonder if it wouldn't look better with the nested images being angled correctly the same.

My vote is for #2.

Sarah, There are some fantastic shots in there and I admire your skills.

If I ever get as near to you in taking pictures as good as these then I will be pleased but just not got the imagination and the PP skills to emulate these at the moment, due to various things and being totally treated like ***** by a "so called togging buddy that used to frequent this foru and thread" who has totally wiped us of/me the face of the earth :shrug: :razz:

I must pick myself up and dust myself off and get out there and start again.:help:

Keep it going as I do enjoy looking at them and one day I will play a bit more of a catch up when my heart is really back in it.(y)

Number 1 for me Sarah (y)

I like the idea behind #2 but it's just a bit too much for me :shrug:

It's certainly an idea that never crossed my mind, and it's a brilliant one (the idea I mean not my mind :D)

I had a quick look last night and was edging towards #1, but looking again today I'll vote for #2. I agree with you that a larger size would benefit #2, but it's visually fascinating and I love the idea of a picture of a picture of a picture, etc. The other point in its favour for me is that the flowers in the main picture bottom right and bottom left are more vivid and help to lead the eye into the pictures on the easel. The gravel (?) foreground on the easel pictures also helps to define them.

Definitely meets the theme in spades and is a very attractive image too. In fact - your garden is as pretty as a picture. :) :clap::clap::clap:

Jean

Thank you Jean. Glad to see another vote for no.2.
I just realised that this is actually a similar take to yours too. A picture within a picture within a picture vs. a doll, within a doll, within a doll :LOL:

Hi Sarah, what a clever idea and you have executed it so well. Number one for me for the same reason as the others. You have a very pretty garden.

Jenny

Thank you Jenny. Glad that you like the garden too.

What a clever idea! I find the second one facinating but the first is easier on the eye.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

As ever a great take on the theme, #1 for me, the perspective, composition are well thought out and the lighting a colour spot on.

Thank you Steve.

Hi, I like number 2 best I think.

I like both though and in number one it's as though the plants are coming out of the canvas which i like but I think 2 is more eye catching and stands out.

All the other photos in the thread are great as well! I especially like week 3, 8, 9 and 20 :)

Thenk you Stephen. For taking the time to look over the other shots as well as this week's too.

Great idea Sarah, and very well implemented. I can see what the others mean about #2 looking a bit busy, but I really like the recursive view in the canvas. The only thing... I'm not sure of, is the fact that the canvas and frame are slowly rotating backwards as you go further into the picture. It doesn't ruin the effect, but... I have to wonder if it wouldn't look better with the nested images being angled correctly the same.

My vote is for #2.

Thank you John . . . and thank you for supplying the word "recursive". I knew that there was a correct term for it, but it totally escaped me, and I couldn't think of what to search for to look it up (y)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: My OH pointed out the exact same thing about the canvases leaning backwards. I could really have done with chopping a few inches off the legs of the easel, so that I could have positioned it in a more upright position and maintained the composition . . . as it was I had to angle it backwards more than necessary and the tilt just became more pronounced with each iteration of the shot.

Sarah, There are some fantastic shots in there and I admire your skills.

If I ever get as near to you in taking pictures as good as these then I will be pleased but just not got the imagination and the PP skills to emulate these at the moment, due to various things and being totally treated like ***** by a "so called togging buddy that used to frequent this foru and thread" who has totally wiped us of/me the face of the earth :shrug: :razz:

I must pick myself up and dust myself off and get out there and start again.:help:

Keep it going as I do enjoy looking at them and one day I will play a bit more of a catch up when my heart is really back in it.(y)

I really hope your heart gets back into it soon Nicki. I was enjoying your thread and your birds in flight were absolutely stunning.

Thank you for dropping in and I hope we see you back in the 52 soon.

Number 1 for me Sarah (y)

I like the idea behind #2 but it's just a bit too much for me :shrug:

It's certainly an idea that never crossed my mind, and it's a brilliant one (the idea I mean not my mind :D)

Thank you Jill.
I might try the idea in the second one again at some point. Maybe with a simpler setting.

A slightly tenuous link to the theme this week . . . however, Lavender scented products are sold to promote relaxation :shrug:

The story behind this is that I've been trying to get a decent shot of a bee, particularly one in flight.
Some of you have already seen last Sunday's efforts in the nature part of the forum - and taking the comments on board, this is today's attempt.

Definitely better than last week's shots and good enough to use in my 52 - nothing very good on the "in flight" front yet though :(

Self Critique

- A little more noise than I'd like in this one. I was shooting at ISO 800 which wasn't ideal, but it was dull and overcast and the wind was blowing the Lavender all over the place. It was the only way I could get enough DoF and a fast enough shutter speed.

- Composition isn't brilliant either. The head of the Lavender is too close to the top of the frame. I've cropped a piece off the RHS to help composition, but the rest is as shot and there's nothing to bring back in. I suppose I could try extending the canvas and cloning in some more b/g, but I think it might look a bit messy.

- Not overly keen on the way the bee is sitting either. Not much I could do about that, but something to pay more attention to next time.

This is only my second attempt at shooting bees and I think I was concentrating so much on trying to get the focus right that other things went out the window. Something to address next time I try.

Last edited:
This has come out pretty well in the circumstances. I agree with your self crit but know just how hard it is to take photos of little flying beasties, particularly on a dull windy day. The DOF and colours are beautiful and I can smell the lavender from here. Even though the bee is so busy I find it really relaxing to listen to the gentle hum of bees on a flower bush.

What an ingenious take on Relaxation Sarah. I too use lavender for relaxation and the sound of bees buzzing is very relaxing too. The ones we get here are called carpenter bees and they are HUGE. I think I had one in my earlier version of this 52 :shrug: and they are a bugger to catch still long enough even though I didn't have a problem with cloudy conditions.

I agree with your self crit about the composition, I'd liked to have seen a little clear space above the flower and it would be better without the distraction of the other flower stem, but it doesn't seem particularly noisy on my screen and the bee looks fine.

Sometimes, especially with mother nature, we just have to go with what we've got.

I love the colours of the lavender and the bokeh on this one. Have you tried some noise reducing software, there are some free trials available on t'internet, maybe that will help.

Lavender does work well at relaxing, i work with people with Dementia and ive known a few of my colleagues advocate its use. On the contrary to that one of my managers had a severe allergy to it and if she passed within a few feet of any lavender product her airways started to close in and she could hardly breathe, seriously scary especially the first time i saw this.

I think your lavender is bang on theme as I use it to relax.Your dof is great and the bee is nice and clear. I've been taking bees on lavender this week too so I know how hard it is.

Thanks Sue . . . are any of your bees on lavender up on the forum?
I'd be interested in having a look.

This has come out pretty well in the circumstances. I agree with your self crit but know just how hard it is to take photos of little flying beasties, particularly on a dull windy day. The DOF and colours are beautiful and I can smell the lavender from here. Even though the bee is so busy I find it really relaxing to listen to the gentle hum of bees on a flower bush.

Thank you Tracer.
I'm getting slightly obsessed with perfecting a bee picture, so there may well be a reshoot coming up when I get one I'm happy with.

What an ingenious take on Relaxation Sarah. I too use lavender for relaxation and the sound of bees buzzing is very relaxing too. The ones we get here are called carpenter bees and they are HUGE. I think I had one in my earlier version of this 52 :shrug: and they are a bugger to catch still long enough even though I didn't have a problem with cloudy conditions.

I agree with your self crit about the composition, I'd liked to have seen a little clear space above the flower and it would be better without the distraction of the other flower stem, but it doesn't seem particularly noisy on my screen and the bee looks fine.

Sometimes, especially with mother nature, we just have to go with what we've got.

Thanks Jill. I think I remember your Carpenter Bee.
TBH I'm quite pleased with the detail in the bee. Given that I was just shooting with the 18-55mm kit lens (no extension tubes or filters) I think it came out pretty well . . . just kicking myself over composition somewhat.

I love the colours of the lavender and the bokeh on this one. Have you tried some noise reducing software, there are some free trials available on t'internet, maybe that will help.

Lavender does work well at relaxing, i work with people with Dementia and ive known a few of my colleagues advocate its use. On the contrary to that one of my managers had a severe allergy to it and if she passed within a few feet of any lavender product her airways started to close in and she could hardly breathe, seriously scary especially the first time i saw this.

Thanks Chris.
Quite honestly I'm not really happy enough with the composition on this one to faff about too much with it.
Not much done, beyond a crop off the RHS and some sharpening as it was shot in RAW.

Having said that, I'm satisfied enough with it as my 2nd attempt at bees.
It normally takes me 3 outings to get something I'm completely happy with if it's something new.

I think your self-crit on relaxation is harsh and I really like it. I think it is further improved by cropping off the right hand side and the bottom to just remove all trace of the other flowers.

Phil

Lavender is sold for relaxation, but there is no way on earth that shooting bees, especially flying ones, can be considered relaxing... so that's an interesting tension you've created...

you've done well with it though and I do like it as a shot of a bee... not much I can add that you haven't said yourself... what little I know goes out the window when I'm trying to do this sort of thing.

Would it be fair to say that you are your own harshest critic Sarah?
I think you are being too hard on yourself with this one. This 52 is a challenge in a number of ways but I think you have done well with this for you being new to these type of images. As has been said above, a few wee tweaks and it will be there. A slight crop would sort the composition. Not a lot more to add to whats been said above Sarah. Onward and upward eh? Iain

Sarah, it's a very clever take on the relaxation theme. I just love the colours and you have done remarkably well for only your second attempt at shooting bees. Pity about being too close to the top of the photo and I would have cloned out the other flowers at the right.

I saw your flying bee in the other thread. You are way ahead of me with bees!

Jenny

I think your self-crit on relaxation is harsh and I really like it. I think it is further improved by cropping off the right hand side and the bottom to just remove all trace of the other flowers.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

I've got a new crop to put up shortly. Losing the RHS really didn't work very well, so I've taken some off the left instead.
Still not perfect, but better !!!

Lavender is sold for relaxation, but there is no way on earth that shooting bees, especially flying ones, can be considered relaxing... so that's an interesting tension you've created...

you've done well with it though and I do like it as a shot of a bee... not much I can add that you haven't said yourself... what little I know goes out the window when I'm trying to do this sort of thing.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I was going for an arty juxtaposition between relaxing lavender and stressful bees . . . honestly !!!

Thanks John. Been practicing again today.
Still not the best shooting conditions, and nothing special on the bee front. But I have a few other insect shots which I'll put up later.

Would it be fair to say that you are your own harshest critic Sarah?
I think you are being too hard on yourself with this one. This 52 is a challenge in a number of ways but I think you have done well with this for you being new to these type of images. As has been said above, a few wee tweaks and it will be there. A slight crop would sort the composition. Not a lot more to add to whats been said above Sarah. Onward and upward eh? Iain

Hi Iain - yep, it's fair to say that I'm hard on myself. But I know where my limits are and I know when I can do better :bonk:

Just have to say that I love the consept behind "art" very clever! :D

Stuart

Thanks Stu.

Sarah, it's a very clever take on the relaxation theme. I just love the colours and you have done remarkably well for only your second attempt at shooting bees. Pity about being too close to the top of the photo and I would have cloned out the other flowers at the right.

I saw your flying bee in the other thread. You are way ahead of me with bees!

Jenny

Thank you Jenny.
Got a LOT closer to catching flying insects today. Still no joy on the bees, but a big improvement on last week's <cough> "effort" :LOL:

Re-cropped version of relaxation added first off.
Not great, but a big improvement on the other one. I actually don't mind the b/g flowers so much in this one - and they add to the relaxation theme.

And I've been shooting insects again today, so one of them makes up my offering for "grace".
Not sure how well it fits (again), but I think this Hoverfly looked fairly graceful poised on the end of the fir bough.

Self Critique on Grace

- This was a quick grab shot, while I was trying to nail bees in flight (again!). Conditions still quite poor today . . . overcast and windy, but even on the larger version the b/g seems to have minimised the noise levels at ISO 800 on this shot.
For anyone interested, this week's attempt at an insect in flight is here

- I'm pleasantly surprised again at the Canon kit lens's ability to focus close up (this thing was quite tiny) - and I think that the image quality is acceptable on this shot at least. I think I just missed getting the focus spot on on its eyes though :bonk:

- It's a shame that I didn't manage to catch him facing towards the camera. This was a case of grabbing what I could before it flew off . . . but still disappointing.

- Again, another shame about the manky pine needles . . . but something else out of my control.

Last edited:
Back