Scale on iPhone

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

This is going to sound a bit random and I hope makes sense. I shoot with a micro four thirds system and then upload to my Lightroom on my iPad and iPhone. When I then zoom fully in, what would be the same size print, as there has been a few photos that look a bit blurry at that scale but may be the same size as an a3 print so would be fine at normal print sizes.

Thanks and hope that makes sense

Jack

You want to find out what is the equivolent between a M4/3 to iphone in terms of print size?

Depends….depends on which m4/3 camera you are talking about, and which iphone you are talking about.

It also depends on what resolution you shoot at, as the iphone not only has different cameras/lenses/sensor and sensor sizes, it can also shoot in pro-res.

I'm not sure I follow.

I don't use Lightroom any more, but it may be that you are viewing previews on your phone or iPad which are not the full size image, so when you zoom in they will look blurrier more quickly than if you were viewing the full size image.

One thing I have noticed is that the Olympus raw files have a jpeg preview that is embedded that is not the full size. So when you zoom in, you can't go to the full 100% without it starting to look blurry. The full size jpeg for me would be 5240 pixels across, but when I preview it in Photo Mechanic, it only shows 3200 pixels across. The only way I can see the full size is if I convert the raw to a jpeg.

Hi both thanks for the info. As silly as it sounds I don’t really know what I’m asking I just know what I mean, so have done some screen shots which will hopefully help.

This is an unedited photo I took the other day

730A2E79-1EB2-4EDB-BAEC-E9B7512C7A90.jpeg

Then on my iPhone I have zoomed in as much as it will allow to check the detail and this is what it looks like

42561AFD-801E-4AF8-A336-6ED987E4B4F9.jpeg

So what I was wondering is with that magnification how large would the printed image be, as I'm happy with the above photo and would print it but the close up of the eye isn't great so would make me hesitant to.

I hope that makes a bit more sense

Thanks

Jack

What is the size of the original image in PIXELS.

I don’t know how much your phone can zoom in by, but if you swipe up on the image on your phone, that will give you the size of the image in pixels. That will give you a good idea of how large you can print it. If you let us know the size, then we can give you an idea.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'm making this a lot more complex than it needs to be.

Original 3888x5184
Zoomed 1125x2436

Thanks once again

Jack

How big you can print it and still be happy with the quality is slightly subjective, and also you tend to stand further away from a larger print, so you can sometimes get away with it being a bit blurry close up.

For me, I like to print at 300 pixels per inch for the best quality, so that would make the original roughly 13x17” and your zoomed in (perhaps you mean you’d like to crop it to this size?) 4x8”.

If you’re happier with a bit less quality (and I will go to 200 or even 150ppi on a large print), at 200ppi you’d get 19x26” for original and 6x12” for the crop.

I’ve rounded the figures but hopefully you can see how it works.

edit: I should add that technically you are not printing at 300ppi, your printer will print at dots per inch (dpi) which is not the same as pixels per inch, however dividing your pixel dimensions by 300 for best quality gives a good indication of possible size.

Last edited:
At a 13x17 inch print size (approx. A3+), 200 dpi is plenty, as Bebop says (and I'm quite fussy about prints!) On canvases, you can get away with even fewer dpi.

Thanks all that is fantastic and makes perfect sense. I never thought that the original I could print so big, so even if I crop in a bit it should still have plenty of detail. That’s set my mind at ease as the biggest id ever really want to print is a4.

Thanks once again this is such a helpful forum

Back