ScotlandTheScared's 52 - Week 12 - Poverty (delayed due to man flu!)

I like the idea. I think the DOF is a little shallow for my liking. I'd probably have gone for the content of the paper in sharp focus, and the 42 less out. Upping the ISO would have added grain which for the conversion would have been fine. Good conversion too. It works, and is a good interpretation of a tough theme.

On your learnings... if you manage to locate any spare time lying around... :D

I missed your identity - what a hoot :) Great capture :D

Wisdom - nicely thought out and shot and a great interpretation and set up!

And 42! Great touch :D!!!!

Love the B&W and DOF - good one!!:clap:

Great idea...I like the Reason...behind it...:LOL:

Not sure it needed the 42 bit...but that's just me...:clap:

Hmmm - maybe a bit more dof would have been good. I didnt play around at all - literally set it up and took a shot. That was it. Trying to learn to get things right first time - not easy though!

As for the 42 - I thought it would add to the idea of wisdom i.e. even though you know what the weight of reason is (42g!) you can't understand it unless you are wise...

I'm probably falling into the obvious trap but isn't 42 the answer to the ultimate question :D :thinking:

What a great and creative interpretation. I really like the b&w conversion but would also like to see a little more DoF. Having said that I really like this and well done in getting an entry in at all. :clap::clap:

Bruja,
yes - 42 is the answer to the ultimate question. Thats the whole point of this image - let me explain...

No-one knows why 42 is the ultimate answer - it's one of life's great mysteries and Douglas Adams is no longer around to enlighten us as to why 42. So you can be as wise as you like, but you (and everyone else including me) are still not going to be wise enough to understand what the question is or why the answer is 42...

So this image is a double representation of wisdom: 1) it literally shows the weight of reason (the dictionary definition of wisdom is 'to UNDERSTAND the weight of reason') and 2) I show the weight of reason as a number that CANNOT be UNDERSTOOD. In other words, what the image is saying is:

'wisdom cannot be understood by even the wisest of people'

As you can see, my PhD has not gone to waste! Has that twisted your brain enough?!

Last edited:
I love this just as it is. The dof works for me - the 'reason' is clear (we think) but the weight of reason is (relatively) obscure, and we just accept that the answer to life and the universe is 42 - mainly because that's what we've been told. We accept 'reasons' and 'answers' for lots of things without even thinking about the weight of reason or the absolute truth (or otherwise) of the answer. Got it! I think. :)

Right, that's my brain scrambled for the next 6 months. :LOL:

Getting a shot right first time is an amazing goal, and I love your learning points.

Jean

Bruja,
yes - 42 is the answer to the ultimate question. Thats the whole point of this image - let me explain...

No-one knows why 42 is the ultimate answer - it's one of life's great mysteries and Douglas Adams is no longer around to enlighten us as to why 42. So you can be as wise as you like, but you (and everyone else including me) are still not going to be wise enough to understand what the question is or why the answer is 42...

So this image is a double representation of wisdom: 1) it literally shows the weight of reason (the dictionary definition of wisdom is 'to UNDERSTAND the weight of reason') and 2) I show the weight of reason as a number that CANNOT be UNDERSTOOD. In other words, what the image is saying is:

'wisdom cannot be understood by even the wisest of people'

As you can see, my PhD has not gone to waste! Has that twisted your brain enough?!

Definitely :LOL::LOL: And well done on the PhD :clap: I didn''t have the patience to do one.

And with that explanation it makes the picture a great one - sorry for not getting it. :(

Last edited:
Its a little cryptic but once explained, very clever.

The image works well, I suspect the b&w helps, works for me, well done.

Thanks all for your comments on Wisdom :)

Well - had no time to go out and take proper photos last week, but I did take a few snaps during a stag party. One fitted the 'relationships' bill. The story of one man and his hat. The hat was purchased from behind a bar in some nightclub/meatmarket and over the course of the evening was stolen and then retrieved. The ensuing fight ensured the relationship between man and hat was truly cemented and by the time they collapsed comatose on the sofa together all was well with the world :)

Not an inspirational image, but the best I had under the circumstances...
3381529115_5f5f4a95d1_o.jpg

What did I learn?
1) Taking photos at 3:30 am is not the best time for creative photography
2) Going to a club while sober is an EXTREMELY bad idea
3) I still didnt find any time from anywhere (see week 10) and impending job interviews will ensure no time is available for the whole of April :(
4) Straw hats are not a good fashion statement

Last edited:
Very nice story around this shot and I like it...is he asleep or talking to his new friend...:LOL:

Well you got the theme for this week so hats off to you...:LOL:

and for a ISO of 1600 it's a great shot...well done...(y)

1) Taking photos at 3:30 am is not the best time for creative photography

I'll trust on on this one. :LOL: Brave man!

I like the story behind the shot. I also like the high viewpoint, but my first thought was to crop out some of the space above his head. I don't know if that would compromise the viewpoint, though. :shrug:

I hope, for your sake, you don't have to get all April's shots at 3 am! That's dedication indeed. :clap:

And good luck with the interviews. (y)

Jean

I have to agree, it works very well indeed (y)

I had wanted to shoot a candid for this theme but I was unsure how. With no other ideas I was going to turn out my pockets and take a self-portrait. Then fortune farted in my direction once again and I came down with the flu. However, I still managed to get out and about to visit a museum. One of the exhibits was under a dust cover, but I thought a snap through the window of it would satisfy the theme - my interpretation is: 'How the other half live...'

Its not great because its at ISO 1600 and because I felt like a troll was jumping up and down on my bones...

3402471900_802a7533d3_o.jpg

What did I learn?
1) flu makes you shake!
2) ummmm - nothing - I still feel ill so I'm off to bed rather then thinking about this any more...

P.S. Sorry to all of you - I have not been able to look at last weeks and this weeks posts to make comments on all your efforts. I will try to though. And thanks to those of you who bothered to leave your mark on my thread - much appreciated...

Sorry to hear you are ill. I find whisky is the best medicine for 'flu....lots of it;)
Good effort on the theme

Jon

Well done for getting out there and getting an 'out-of-box' take on Poverty.

I sympathise over the lighting - things always seem to conspire against you when you are least able to fight back! Hope you're fully recovered now.

I like the colours and glimpsing opulence/luxury through a window seems very appropriate for the theme of Poverty. :)

Jean

Love the Relationships picture, and could see this on a gallery wall so well done :clap::clap::clap:

Poverty - that nose to the glass representation of poverty fits the bill and shows dedication above and beyond when you have man-flu. Like Simon you are going to need a good excuse to miss a week now :D

Great idea for poverty and well done for getting your shot even with man-flu. I have also been suffering severe lurgy and have decided to postpone my poverty shot - you are a better person than I!

Hope you're feeling better (y)

I agree, great idea, and well taken. I hope you are feeling better, well done for getting out there given how you were feeling.

hope your feeling better. Great idea for the theme and i really like the boarders looks like your looking through a window :)

Back