SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

Well Asha, you're quite obviously in training now :exit:

Love Reading all your posts. I shoot 35mm and Digital but full agree with the sentiments about weight and the long wait for the right light.

My back pack often gets to 10kg as I carry more kit than Noah did in the Ark. Can get worse if I am birding for the day as have a spotting scope and 2nd tripod. Chemical processing I only do as I take transparencies, due to no room for a fully equipped Dark Room (kids still at home) .

Perhaps the Romans were looking for a fault in their paving as somebody put a dent in it. Sorry a bad geologist joke about Yorkshire and its limestone pavements and the local fault.

Last edited:
Can't beat a nice limestone pavement...

Hope you took a nice big bag of Grikes back for the Mrs. ;)
At least the grykes weigh less than the clints ;)

Perhaps the Romans were looking for a fault in their paving as somebody put a dent in it. Sorry a bad geologist joke about Yorkshire and its limestone pavements and the local fault.
I'm sure Adam Sedgwick is turning in his grave :D although I would have thought the Craven was the local fault :geek:

Last edited:
Out with a 10x8

This kit bag weighs about 10kg and I have to confess it was not an easy short 1.5 km walk here having not carried this weight for about a month.

Nonetheless I’m here waiting for the train to arrive in about 15 mins.

I doubt I’ll manage more than this one shot today but slow but sure I’m getting back into the big boys game ..... it’ll get up a mountainside soon I hope [emoji13]

View attachment 287214

Surprising the vibrations and draft from the train haven't caused too much movement to the camera ( unlike the bush!!) as the small panel on the top of the post showing details of the line is still legible.

This is straight off the scanner and actually needs rescanning as there is a little bit more image to the RHS but for the sake of this thread, it's a result (y)

Sans titre-2 retouched.jpg

I really like that effect. As a train photo, rather different from those of a former bishop of Wakefield, and makes me think of a film whose screenwriter was Arnold Ridley.

Finally managed to make my first LF exposures

@StephenM , sorry it took so long.

You one frame of HP5 and a frame of Ektachrome just in case I have done something wrong. I will send them off for developing tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Mini.jpg

And did you enjoy the experience?

Ahem, there are ‘adult’ forums for asking such questions:exit:, so I’vebeen told:angelic:

Oh, I'm not allowed on any adult forums, that's why I spend my time on here :cool:

At last I managed to get out for to expose my first exposures using the intrepid 10x8 MK2 with its 5x7 reducing back.

The location offered no contact whatsoever with the outside world thus unable to share the images on location but now at home, negs hanging to dry, here are the goods.....

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

We went to Quarry Bank Mill today and I decided to take along my Polaroid SX70 that I’ve converted to shoot both SX70 and 600 film. I’d picked up a box of Polaroid Originals 600 a few weeks ago, but hadn’t been anywhere before now that I wanted to shoot images at nearly £2 per shot!

IMG_5317.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG

At some point, I’m going to strip the old porvair (fake leather) skin and fit the wenge wood veneer parts I cut ages ago. For now, it’s more of a ‘user’ camera :0)

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

When I made the ISO 600 ‘key’ for the camera, I used a 150ohm resistor. From shooting this film pack, I’ve found that it generally overexposes slightly in the central position on the exposure dial. When I remembered (!), I added some underexposure and the colours/details were a little better, although I still think I prefer the B&W film.

Well, my LF sheets are on the way back to me but I realised from a behind the scenes phone picture that I’ve completely screwed the composition. I put the car at the bottom of the ground glass meaning the very top of the frame. So instead of lots of room above it, there will be lots of floor. What an idiot!

In other news, I loaded my first roll of Ektachrome today.

DF94C282-30B2-4F69-BC38-0C28E6B3E4BD.jpeg

Well, my LF sheets are on the way back to me but I realised from a behind the scenes phone picture that I’ve completely screwed the composition. I put the car at the bottom of the ground glass meaning the very top of the frame. So instead of lots of room above it, there will be lots of floor. What an idiot!

In other news, I loaded my first roll of Ektachrome today.

View attachment 288865

Lol the upside down back to front will come to you quickly enough if you keep at it.
Problem then you never see anything quite the right way up there after ! Pmsl

Seeing as I had it delivered today, I’ve taken what would be a stroll to most folk, inc myself not too long ago, but is now a route march, up a hill with the 5x7 and just wasted a couple of sheets of fomapan 13x18 cm
film.

Ideally I would have avoided most of the buildings but the sky is almost cloudless which although beautiful and to most, the best thing since sliced bread, from a landscape togging POV I find it leaves a lifeless space ...... hence I composed lower ( on purpose, unlike Gaz ! Lol)

Hazy as is usual this time of year so hoping the polariser and orange filters will help cut through it a bit.

I might try go a little higher whilst the sun drops some more , there again perhaps I’ll just chill here for a little while before descending, then come back another day when there’s some cloud interest in the sky.

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

Lol the upside down back to front will come to you quickly enough if you keep at it.
Problem then you never see anything quite the right way up there after ! Pmsl

I’ll have to keep at it! I have 33 sheets of film left.

just finished a roll of E6 as well as the usual few rolls of Ektar. Early start this morning which, for someone who isn’t a landscape photographer, I found really enjoyable.

BA99199F-7652-425D-B472-389AFC0CB3A6.jpegE10B1CDB-03CE-4FFC-B68D-3D12BFAEEF6D.jpeg

o_O If you can be at the right place and time there is nothing so wonderful as a landscape shot.

Nothing as wonderful as the images, no but not sure it's my thing, proper landscaping. Although I do seem to go to some nice places. Ha.

Quick update on the LF shots.

The Ektachrome is really well exposed and focus is good. Just the ridiculous composition which was user error. So frustrating. Guess I'll have to just go again with it.

Nothing as wonderful as the images, no but not sure it's my thing, proper landscaping. Although I do seem to go to some nice places. Ha.

Quick update on the LF shots.

The Ektachrome is really well exposed and focus is good. Just the ridiculous composition which was user error. So frustrating. Guess I'll have to just go again with it.

We need to see this ridiculous composition..... I for one need a laugh [emoji23] lol

At least , for the moment, you can usethe fact of being a LF débutant as an excuse....... I just use my uselessness as a tog to get me off the hook [emoji23] lol

We need to see this ridiculous composition..... I for one need a laugh [emoji23] lol

At least , for the moment, you can usethe fact of being a LF débutant as an excuse....... I just use my uselessness as a tog to get me off the hook [emoji23] lol

Haha. It means digging the scanner out. I have a V700 all boxed up not being used which kinda sucks. Might do it on Sunday.

I do like the Ektachrome as a slide, though. Just finished a roll of 120, too so hopefully it's good.

At last I managed to get out for to expose my first exposures using the intrepid 10x8 MK2 with its 5x7 reducing back.

The location offered no contact whatsoever with the outside world thus unable to share the images on location but now at home, negs hanging to dry, here are the goods.....

View attachment 288445

View attachment 288446
]

Voilà

IMG_1840.JPG

Seeing as I had it delivered today, I’ve taken what would be a stroll to most folk, inc myself not too long ago, but is now a route march, up a hill with the 5x7 and just wasted a couple of sheets of fomapan 13x18 cm
film.

Ideally I would have avoided most of the buildings but the sky is almost cloudless which although beautiful and to most, the best thing since sliced bread, from a landscape togging POV I find it leaves a lifeless space ...... hence I composed lower ( on purpose, unlike Gaz ! Lol)

Hazy as is usual this time of year so hoping the polariser and orange filters will help cut through it a bit.

I might try go a little higher whilst the sun drops some more , there again perhaps I’ll just chill here for a little while before descending, then come back another day when there’s some cloud interest in the sky.

View attachment 288869

View attachment 288870

View attachment 288871

The filters helped to cut through the worst of the haze though I’ve still had to manipulate more than I like in PP particularly contrast, nonetheless I’ve managed to obtain anA3 print from one of the negatives

Adjustments.JPG

Intrepid 5x7 caméra
Fomapan 13x18 film

View attachment 288449

View attachment 288450

On a roll atm,

This one also completed ready to print out tomorrow

TP.jpg

Got out with the MPP today and shot 6 frames, which is positively gunning it for me with 5x4 :D I normally do one or two. Here's the proof, I'll probably get them dev'd tomorrow so if there is anything visible on the negs at all I'll post something here.

DSC01964.jpg

DSC01973.jpg

One of the reasons I shot more than usual yesterday was that I tried a couple of double exposures and I'm quite pleased with them given that it's not something I have done much of (well at least not intentionally :whistle: ). I guess you might have to be fairly familiar with the Dales to "get" these but I'm interested what people think

Sheep_Mountains_Dales by Chris H, on Flickr

pen-y-ghent by Chris H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Double exposures are not my cup of tea tbh
These efforts "work" in their own right as DE, the first one being far too contrasty for my tastes.
The second one with the double walls in the foreground is, for me ,more pleasing,
Perhaps next time make the double exposure of yourself located in such a way that you're sat ( or tumbling down lol) on / from the summit:p

At least you remembered to grab the on scene piccies.....I got one exposure taken with the Canham today, the first exposure i've taken in what seems ages but forgot to take the "obligatory" captures to prove where i was.
Oh well , next time.

the first one being far too contrasty

It's interesting that they were both shot in similar conditions, similar exposures, the only real difference is that the first is Fomapan 400, the second HP5

Well for me I would like to see more detail in the scenery....I used to do double exposures for people (and objects on the table) by blanking half of the lens but never tried it for scenery.
How did you do your shots?

Well for me I would like to see more detail in the scenery....I used to do double exposures for people (and objects on the table) by blanking half of the lens but never tried it for scenery.
How did you do your shots?
I just took two photos on the same frame with some movement of the camera, in the case of the first the camera movement was around 5 miles :) . There's quite a lot of detail in the second which I could probably pull out more by lifting the shadows.

Well there was a break in the rain and an indication of some interesting light through the clouds but that has quickly dissapeared :(

Camera stood in light rain under a waterproof darkcloth , me under shelter ( also waterproof lol) on the off chance of an exposure before sunset.

Somewhat doubtful me thinks ! IMG_1140.JPGIMG_1927.JPG

Just got in absolutely sopping wet..... No I refuse to post a photo! Lol

No photo taken as the light just didn’t happen bit more storms expected tomorrow so perhaps I’ll fall lucky enough to suffer another drenching. Pmsl

Time to air the kit out which will give me a practice run for tomorrow probably!!

Last edited:
Back