Share Your Inspirational Videos?

Ian Berry's The English was what got me wanting to take pictures that weren't like the stuff in Amateur Photographer stuff way back in the mists of time. What he says about pictures having to make a shape really resonates with me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBssRS6oLrc

Don't think this has been posted before
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T029CTSO0IE

MoMA put quite a lot of photography stuff on youtube, it's work searching for

I’ll give that a watch, thanks Chris. My copy of the revised edition of American Surfaces arrived the other week too, so this is timely.

EDIT: Started watching it and then realised I’ve already seen it! :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Been a while since I watched that, thanks for reminding me of it (y)

I watched both of these a while ago, both excellent but I particularly enjoyed the Feinstein one.

While not specifically inspirational, this 1938 promo film of Kodak manufacturing cameras, film and paper, is pretty fantastical to watch.
Its a curated product of the Eastman Museum, its an hour long and very difficult to pause, but what else are you gonna do on furlough....:giggle:

Last edited:
Independent Publishing (with Colin Wilkinson, Bluecoat Press)

Covers the early days of Liverpool's Open Eye Gallery, starting out in publishing, publishing photobooks and working with photographers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBiMsQ9iK0

@myotis found some really interesting videos and posted them in another thread, I thought I'd link that here in case regulars of this thread don't come across the other

Thanks Chris and @myotis. Would have missed that otherwise. Only started the first video just now, but talking about Crewdson and Chloe Dewe Mathews is a great start out the gate.

(y)

Thanks Chris and @myotis. Would have missed that otherwise. Only started the first video just now, but talking about Crewdson and Chloe Dewe Mathews is a great start out the gate.

(y)
I'm on my fourth and that one's probably the best of the lot. I might even watch it again. The others are more like exercises to make students try out ways of working/seeing/thinking. (Just the same as 40 years ago...) Still worth watching though.

@myotis found some really interesting videos and posted them in another thread, I thought I'd link that here in case regulars of this thread don't come across the other
Thanks for posting this link. I got half way through the first one, and I have to be honest and say that I really don't think I'm going to get on with them. Firstly, I'm really not a fan of the presentation style, then there's the content:

On the first video, view the screen image at 15:36, Look at the strong vertical parallel lines in both photos, and the way the contrasting round and square shapes sit within them... then try to tell me that these two photos don't make a far less cliched, and therefore much stronger, piece of work as a diptych than simply putting two really obvious round or square objects together? But the presenter tells me that they don't work as well together.

Does anyone else see that and agree? I still believe that photography is all about learning to see, but sometimes I wonder if I've perhaps leant to see too much, or too differently? :thinking:

Last edited:
Thanks, some really good stuff in this, and well worth a watch. Not a style of photography that appeals to me very much, but I'm glad that didn't put me off watching.

I felt the same.

Back