weekly Shiny's 2021 52 Attempt

Really nice shot for the theme Martin, it looks so much nicer on Flickr with a plain black background.

Yes, I thought so too. I have a 29" monitor and full screen it looks quite a delight. If it wasn't going to use up a lot of my black cartridge I might even have printed in A3+.

Smooth: Not a shoehorn at all in my view. Really like the rich chestnut colours and the composition. The shavings really add to it, rather than just the tool itself.

Alive: On theme and well executed. The black background and lighting works well.

My Easter bunny, and Christmas bunny and all time bunny. She is ridiculously difficult to photograph because of her dark eyes in a dark body.

EasterBunny by ShinySU, on Flickr

Great PoV Martin.

Awwww nice likkle Bunster :)

For many years she lived with a friend but she died last year so Evie is on her own now. The little shelter she is in is made from chicken wire formed into an arch and hay is just draped all over the top so that she can keep warm in the winter (she is an outside bunny). In extreme weather we put an electric radiator in her 3 metre run.

A couple of versions of Spring. I had to do something different from my original idea of a spring as that picture is very similar to one I did for 'Rock/Stone' except this time the post is wood.
The little wooden montage was built in a garden just down the road from me; shame about the wires but they were in every aspect I could get to.

Spring-2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Spring by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
The second shot is more appealing to me for some reason Martin, maybe it's the more abstract nature of it?

Really nice colours in this Martin, with the yellow, blue and green all working well. The cheerful expression on the creatures are nice and optimistic about the coming season. Thumbs up here!

The second shot is more appealing to me for some reason Martin, maybe it's the more abstract nature of it?

Thanks for commenting, My camera allows for a lot of zooming in but I didn't use it in this case although there is a lot of texture in the spring itself.

Really nice colours in this Martin, with the yellow, blue and green all working well. The cheerful expression on the creatures are nice and optimistic about the coming season. Thumbs up here!

It is cheerful isn't it. Quite well put together on the designers part, whoever they are.

Easter
Love the bunny shot, great pov.

Spring
Both work well for the theme.

Nice easter Bunny shot.
Colours and faces work in the 1st spring shot, but I prefer the return spring on the gatebolt as it is less fussy to my eyes.

Pete

Just about out of time this week so am reverting to a picture I took of one of the dogs a few weeks ago. Whenever I am stuck for a picture I usually turn to Juno.

Juno (1) by ShinySU, on Flickr

Lovely detail in the shot. I love that "unconditional love and trust" look!

Lovely detail in the shot. I love that "unconditional love and trust" look!

Ah, if only. She is an excellent actress, she is actually looking over my shoulder at a box of dog treats on the shelf behind me. :):):)

That's beautiful. The detail and the expression are great.

Absolutely lovely, striking, dramatic portrait. Composition is lovely, image is sharp right where it needs to be and the colours are gorgeous. Just asking to be printed and framed!

That's beautiful. The detail and the expression are great.
Gorgeous shot - love the composition.
Absolutely lovely, striking, dramatic portrait. Composition is lovely, image is sharp right where it needs to be and the colours are gorgeous. Just asking to be printed and framed!

Thank you for your kind comments. TBH Juno is very easy to photograph as she loves the attention. We often call her Mimi because if something is happening and we are paying too much attention to our other dog, the-almost-impossible-to-photograph Ollie, she runs over, pushes her nose in and almost seems to shout "me, me ,me, pay attention to ME". She is quite the drama queen.

Out and about

I took this picture at Newquay Zoo today and for the life of me I can't remember what it is called. All the online identification sites think it's a kangaroo and it patently is not.

NewquayZoo by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think they have a couple of those in Chester zoo and they are a type of kangaroo but I can’t remember what they are either.
Nice image though with the bright light catching it

I too like the contrast going on here. Also like your subject position. Could probably lose a bit off the top but that's just me being pedantic.

I think they have a couple of those in Chester zoo and they are a type of kangaroo but I can’t remember what they are either.
Nice image though with the bright light catching it
Nope, no idea what it is either.
As Allan says, good use of the hard light to give the great contrast between the light and dark.

I found out. I emailed Newquay zoo and sent them this picture and they replied straight away and told me it is a Dusky Pademelon, a type of wallaby from New Guinea (not Australia). A quick look at the internet also reveals, Allan H,, that they do indeed have them at Chester Zoo. :)

I really like how it is looking out from the dark - nice catchlight in the eye too.

I'm glad you solved the mystery. I wondered about a wallaby, but it didn't look quite right.

That's a lovely little creature Martin.
I particularly like the lighting in the scene.
I'd maybe be tempted to crop a little off the left hand side just to take that light object out.

That's a lovely little creature Martin.
I particularly like the lighting in the scene.
I'd maybe be tempted to crop a little off the left hand side just to take that light object out.

I think had computer wallpaper in mind when I cropped it and indeed I am presently using it for mine as the icons show up nicely with a black background.

Nice wallaby, nice use of negative space, It looks like he's having a good think about something. Good focus and plenty of great detail.

Pete

Nice wallaby, nice use of negative space, It looks like he's having a good think about something. Good focus and plenty of great detail.

Pete

Thank you Pete

Back