weekly Shiny's 2021 52 Attempt

An Interesting shot, with mucky debris.

I like the muted colours of the metal

Pete

Dirty
Good light on the metal bits, not too bright. The dirt really shows up well. Good detail and sharp focus.

yep that needs a clean. Nice sharp image nice clear detail in the strings.

Last edited:
The easiest sounding themes are usually the hardest aren't they (at least to get something different).
I feel there is a better shot in there though.
Perhaps close in on a link of the chain with the stone behind it, or shot through the greenery.

Nice post :D

Stone
I tend to agree with @LC2 & @susiejb a crop would be a good alternative idea. Having said that, you've got the subject in and found something that nobody else has.
Some themes don't have much inspiration for us, I'm struggling a bit with this theme.

The easiest sounding themes are usually the hardest aren't they (at least to get something different).
I feel there is a better shot in there though.
Perhaps close in on a link of the chain with the stone behind it, or shot through the greenery.
I think a crop would work on this one Martin, there’s some lovely detail around the padlock and the leafy growth on the right, it’s not the most exciting topic so I think you’ve done well with your choice.
Stone
I tend to agree with @LC2 & @susiejb a crop would be a good alternative idea. Having said that, you've got the subject in and found something that nobody else has.
Some themes don't have much inspiration for us, I'm struggling a bit with this theme.

Thanks all.

As recommended, I have cropped in a bit. I didn't want to go in too far because the closer in I went, the further from the brief 'Rock/Stone' the picture becomes and ends up as 'chain' or 'lock' or some such with a post in the background. Still not sure which I prefer but I'd probably not submit either one to Shutterstock :snaphappy:

As recommended, I have cropped in a bit. I didn't want to go in too far because the closer in I went, the further from the brief 'Rock/Stone' the picture becomes and ends up as 'chain' or 'lock' or some such with a post in the background. Still not sure which I prefer but I'd probably not submit either one to Shutterstock :snaphappy:
I like that. I like locks & chains. But the pic is still mostly rock.

The crop definitely works better. As already said, sometimes it can be a bit of a struggle to find a shot for something that initially sounded easy. There a many times during lockdowns I've thought.. that'll have to do!

Tall

The wizard is about three feet tall so the sword plant is pushing seven to eight feet therefore qualifies as 'tall' I feel.

It's a relative thing really.

Tall by ShinySU, on Flickr
by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
For me, it needs something "real" to give a sense of scale. When I first saw this, there is nothing indicating the wizard isn't 6" tall and the plant about 2ft. Put a person in the frame and I'd be "yes. OK. that is a big plant!"

For me, it needs something "real" to give a sense of scale. When I first saw this, there is nothing indicating the wizard isn't 6" tall and the plant about 2ft. Put a person in the frame and I'd be "yes. OK. that is a big plant!"

But he's a real wizard!! ;) Yes, I see what you mean, but no one wants a picture of me in it, it would look small because I'm 18 feet tall :cool:
It's a comparison thing really to imply tall, or short for that matter.

Last edited:
Tall
I was digging Phormium plants up, of about the same height before Christmas. They're b***dy heavy.

Tall
I was digging Phormium plants up, of about the same height before Christmas. They're b***dy heavy.

This one has a charmed life. Several years ago when it was much smaller the snow landed on it and practically destroyed it, this is the result of the last fragments of root being re-planted in another part of the garden and it has thrived. The miracle of live continues.

I'd agree that it needs something fix the scale, although it's an interesting image.

An absolute sense of scale would be nice, but the Wizard gives relative scale and relative "tall" so it works for me.

And that sounds like a very hardy plant!

When I first looked at it I thought what a tall plant so it obviously worked with me (gullible??). He looks great sheltering under the plant.

Snappers Choice

All taken on a walk with the dogs this morning.

A Walk with the Dogs-10 by ShinySU, on Flickr

The toads were pulled from a pipe in a wall from which they could never have escaped, I didn't realise there were two until I got them out. I also didn't realise that they were whiling away the time like this either until I put them on the grass!

A Walk with the Dogs-3 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Some snowdrops, there are many this year.

A Walk with the Dogs-4 by ShinySU, on Flickr

A farmyard that I've never seen anyone use.

A Walk with the Dogs-7 by ShinySU, on Flickr

The house looks derelict but someone does actually live here.

A Walk with the Dogs-8 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Often see this man with the pony and trap. The tractor is very old.

A Walk with the Dogs-9 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great set of images Martin, they tell the story of your walk, good work.

Interesting collection of images Martin (y)

Now, about that dogs ear :D

Why? What have I done to it? Have I missed something? I'm panicking now. :geek:
You have just nipped the top off it. There should be some daylight above the top of an animals head, to get the most from it..
But that's just me (y)

Agree about the ear, but it's a very minor thing for me. I'm drawn to the eye. I think the low POV makes it a step up from the average pet portrait and it's lovely and sharp.

I have corrected the ear in my collection but won't change it here as it will make everyone's comments look odd; I just cropped it too far. I'll take a closer look next time, it's good to learn.

It was taken on my new Fuji X100V, I am so impressed with this camera, it's a wonderful addition to my Nikon gear.

Last edited:
I like the "dogs eye" pov on this and the space you've given him to look into. Good composition.

Tall - Like Helen I think it looks like he is sheltering under the tall plant, quite a fun shot.

Nice set of images telling the story of your walk.

Back