weekly Shiny's 2021 52 Attempt

Bracket - it’s a type of fungi - and this is one :geek:
I'm so sorry, I did not know that so I really didn't get it, but now I've looked it up -- very clever, you got me there. :D

Strange name for a fungus though.

Not sure if this works or if I even like it but it's all I could do with a fixed 28mm lens and no tripod in the dark; it is massively blown up, converted to B&W and noise-reduced etc. etc.

Snappers Moon by ShinySU, on Flickr

I like it. It's very atmospheric and you've managed to get the moon pretty clear and avoid it being blown out, always tricky....

Given time and my other camera I can do much better. I took this one several years ago now:

moon.JPG

And this one:

Moon2.JPG

I like it, you’ve created a very atmospheric and eerie picture. You’ve done well considering you had no tripod and the tweaks have worked for it too. I like your moon shots too.

I think the original works really well. Moody and atmospheric and the tree silhouette provides context and interest.

I like it, you’ve created a very atmospheric and eerie picture. You’ve done well considering you had no tripod and the tweaks have worked for it too. I like your moon shots too.
I think the original works really well. Moody and atmospheric and the tree silhouette provides context and interest.

Thank you for looking. It's an acacia tree which people call the widowmaker because of it's tendency to drop large branches without warning; fortunately it's not in my garden.

I like the feeling of the moon being snagged in the branches.

The back of beyond.

This is the sign at one of the entrances to the village where I live. It is a large village on the edge of Bodmin Moor and is on the way to nowhere. Tourists don't come here, we barely have a pub to speak of, it's rainy and gloomy much of the winter (and some of the summer) and although the village used to have five churches and eleven shops there is only one of each left.

On the bright side, it is at the edge of the moors and as I've said, the tourists don't come here. I mostly like it here as a village but I wouldn't miss some of the people.

Back of Beyond by ShinySU, on Flickr

Given your description of the village, I think this shot of the sign fits nicely with that!

Interesting side note “Barely a pub to speak of…..”

Given your description of the village, I think this shot of the sign fits nicely with that!

Interesting side note “Barely a pub to speak of…..”
I think it will be gone by the New Year.

The contrasty mono really suits the subject matter. The detail and damage to the sign gives it a sense of dereliction.

The contrasty mono really suits the subject matter. The detail and damage to the sign gives it a sense of dereliction.
I do have to say in Pensilva's defence, is that the rest of the village is not actually falling apart as the sign suggests, in fact there are several million pound houses here although my own 1890 cottage is not one of them :)

I had to read that sign twice, I got it right on the 3rd attempt :D

You've done a good selling job ha ha! It sounds like our place. My brother asked for directions, they told him and then said 'but what do you want to go there for? There's nothing there!'

I like the black and white treatment. It adds to the atmosphere.

The Culture of Renewable Energy

I waited for 3/4 of an hour for the sun to shine on the turbines and this is the best the weather could do as it just touched the back couple.

Culture by ShinySU, on Flickr

Living (the dream).

I hope that cow at the far end was alright though, I only noticed it after I'd uploaded the picture to my PC.

I probably could have cut the far group out in hindsight but I'd already cropped it quite a lot.

Here is the alternative, as you can see, detail-wise it's a crop too far.

Living 2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Still Life. I don't know if I've got the stillness of life or not in this picture but the air was completely still and there was no traffic noise, no trains, no planes, just a few birds in the distance making a faint early morning call; delightful. Taken a few weeks ago I'm afraid.

Still Life by ShinySU, on Flickr

Clever take on the theme :)

All nice shots - the wind far is neat as the blades show just enough movement - shame the sun didn't play more for you, but that fact it's glinting on some works well. The mist one is nice too - certainly gives an air of serenity to the shot.

I think it very much says "still life" to me. Calm and peaceful with a nice composition.

MiniSchool

OK, this is a joke entry, a play on words. The picture isn't even any good as taking pictures of Primary schools when the children are still in it is rather frowned upon these days so I couldn't spend any time on it, but hey ho. I'll look around for an accurate representation of the theme if I get the time this week but for now here's this little oddity.

Minischool by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
MiniSchool

OK, this is a joke entry, a play on words. The picture isn't even any good.

Not so much a joke entry for me. I saw the photo, frowned, then figured it out. Far better to have to think a little than just "yep, swipe".

Mini people go to a mini school. I think it works well. Good effort!

Culture - fabulous colours and light on the turbines - worth the wait.

Living - I expect the cow at the end was just having a head scratch. I like the wider shot for the fact you have the attention of the cows at the end too although I think the bales do detract a little.

Still Life - definitely fits the bill for a very calm, serene scene.

Mini School - Made me smile! You could have given it a miniature camera treatment and made it look tiny too :ROFLMAO:

Culture - Nice collection of wind turbines and having the power lines completes the story.
Living - I prefer the cropped in version.
Still Life - Very peaceful and still image.
Minuscule - Very clever play on the word.

Pete

Not so much a joke entry for me. I saw the photo, frowned, then figured it out. Far better to have to think a little than just "yep, swipe".

Mini people go to a mini school. I think it works well. Good effort!

Culture - fabulous colours and light on the turbines - worth the wait.

Living - I expect the cow at the end was just having a head scratch. I like the wider shot for the fact you have the attention of the cows at the end too although I think the bales do detract a little.

Still Life - definitely fits the bill for a very calm, serene scene.

Mini School - Made me smile! You could have given it a miniature camera treatment and made it look tiny too :ROFLMAO:

Culture - Nice collection of wind turbines and having the power lines completes the story.
Living - I prefer the cropped in version.
Still Life - Very peaceful and still image.
Minuscule - Very clever play on the word.

Pete

Thanks for looking, the wind turbines are my favourite and may get printed out A3+ if the detail is there. I am a bit of a fan of wind turbines as they are so much more aesthetically pleasing than those horrible blue solar panels that they plaster everywhere down here.

Mini school made me think before I read the comments. Nice thinking out of the box.

Showcase

I think this is my favourite picture of those I took this year; a Pademelon at Newquay zoo. A pademelon is a type of marsupial.

Pademelon by ShinySU, on Flickr

Great portrait, great finish Martin. :)
TBH I'm not sure that I've ever seen one...

A lovely shot. I recall seeing it earlier I believe and thinking that the empty space really works to create an interesting image. Nice end to the 52 and well done for getting through.

Back