Shiny's 2022 Challenge 52

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I was going to rest on my laurels after completing 2021 but no, I'm going to continue.

Last edited:
Blimey Martin, that's quite large. 8K monitor for Christmas? ;)
Good use of the shallow DoF
No, no big monitor, I just didn't take a small enough link from Flickr. I'm sure the forum used to resize the images so they'd fit on a page but I could be wrong. I just don't remember having to decide what size image the link should reference.

No, no big monitor, I just didn't take a small enough link from Flickr. I'm sure the forum used to resize the images so they'd fit on a page but I could be wrong. I just don't remember having to decide what size image the link should reference.
Hmm, I've always selected the size I want it on the forum from the bbcode options. Dunno.
You could have styled that out hinting at a 50" 8K monitor ;)

Hmm, I've always selected the size I want it on the forum from the bbcode options. Dunno.
You could have styled that out hinting at a 50" 8K monitor ;)
That's on my list of things that won't fit in my spare bedroom along with a new motorbike and a baritone saxophone. I do run two monitors already but I've often thought that one really big one would do the job better.

Good shot Martin, I think that I might have cropped out a bit of the top and a the little nub of a branch in the bottom left.

A good start.

Nice one and that's early!!! A new Barri Sax - Cooooooool :)

I've been looking for some new growth but couldn't actually find anything so well spotted. Lovely soft colours and nice dof. I would have been tempted to crop the twig/bud at the bottom.

Looks better on Flickr Martin, it's too big on here, the detail is missing apart from the catkins. (I now they are the subject)

Nice shot. I also would have cropped though, especially the green at the bottom.

Well spotted. Now it's been mentioned, I agree a crop off the bottom might enhance it, but it didn't all fit on my screen so I sort of viewed it that way anyway! I went looking for a new leaf and couldn't find one - not even one to turn over ;)

Good shot Martin, I think that I might have cropped out a bit of the top and a the little nub of a branch in the bottom left.

A good start.

I've been looking for some new growth but couldn't actually find anything so well spotted. Lovely soft colours and nice dof. I would have been tempted to crop the twig/bud at the bottom.

Looks better on Flickr Martin, it's too big on here, the detail is missing apart from the catkins. (I now they are the subject)

Nice shot. I also would have cropped though, especially the green at the bottom.

Nicely done Martin. I tried shooting some catkins and failed miserably, Might just have cropped in a little.

Well spotted. Now it's been mentioned, I agree a crop off the bottom might enhance it, but it didn't all fit on my screen so I sort of viewed it that way anyway! I went looking for a new leaf and couldn't find one - not even one to turn over ;)

Yes, I agree. There's too much 'other' stuff in the frame but cropping in too far might be just as wrong as there would be no context. I think I could have balanced it a little better without going nuts over it.

This is my OLD dog, he is at least six years older than my other dog Juno, who has appeared on this forum more than once. He is a rescue dog that had terrible issues when we first got him but he is now at least 12 years old (we can't know exactly) and largely a placid little bugger and we love him to bits. When he was younger he was very difficult to photograph as he was VERY black and white and the contrast was difficult to deal with. However, now he has got older he's gone from black and white to grey and off-white and is much easier on the exposure.

Old by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well he fits the brief and is a lovely dog.
I like the angle at which you‘ve captured his face.
lighting works too.

This is my OLD dog, he is at least six years older than my other dog Juno, who has appeared on this forum more than once. He is a rescue dog that had terrible issues when we first got him but he is now at least 12 years old (we can't know exactly) and largely a placid little bugger and we love him to bits. When he was younger he was very difficult to photograph as he was VERY black and white and the contrast was difficult to deal with. However, now he has got older he's gone from black and white to grey and off-white and is much easier on the exposure.

Old by ShinySU, on Flickr
Very nice.
Point a camera at ours and she runs a mile, or comes and stands right next to you.

Well he fits the brief and is a lovely dog.
I like the angle at which you‘ve captured his face.
lighting works too.

Straight sunlight coming through the window (does have a net curtain on it though so there is a little diffusion).

Very nice.
Point a camera at ours and she runs a mile, or comes and stands right next to you.

Thanks for looking. This dog used turn away as soon as a camera appeared but I think he's too old to care anymore.

The soft lighting works really well. I love his expression - very placid!

Very nice portrait

Nice shot Martin, I always love a good dog portrait.

Lovely pic of a lovely dog.

Love the lighting in this.

Very Rembrandt-esque

The soft lighting works really well. I love his expression - very placid!

Fabulous shot. Just lazin around.

Fine shot of a fine looking puppydawg.
Why do dark coloured pets always look the most photogenic when they are on dark backgrounds that make them really hard to shoot?

Thanks for looking everyone.

Rembrandtesque, I love it. That is, of course, what I was going for. ;)

Regarding the difficulty of photographing dark pets. He used to be a lot more difficult to photograph because he was literally black and white and contrast was always a problem but no so bad now he's greyish. I suppose the more dark there is the easier it is to get the settings right, same as if it was all light -- although people always get caught out with snowscenes turning grey because they get the exposure wrong.

Some would say this was a RECEPTACLE, others might call it the Red Pit of Doom, depends on your perspective I suppose.

Receptacle by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great idea Martin, I like "Red Pit of Doom", buy you have to have ominous music playing as you say it.

Looks great :)

New - Only viewing on my iPad I didn't experience the size of the image mentioned by others, a tighter crop cleaning up the edges would have helped "focus" my attention.

Old - A really nice image of your older dog, I really like just the hint of the shaded eye too.

Receptacle - I saw some of these for the first time last year at Birmingham Botanical gardens. Well captured with sufficient detail. Could be a fun game trying to throw something into them :)

Receptacle - I saw some of these for the first time last year at Birmingham Botanical gardens. Well captured with sufficient detail. Could be a fun game trying to throw something into them :)

You couldn't miss, I have loads of them. I also have Venus flytraps and another type of pitcher plant that is more exotic. Contrary to popular belief, you can keep all these plants outside in the UK. Mine live in an old, bottom-drilled, fish tank over which, but only when the weather is really cold, I put a piece of perspex to keep the frost off.

Gas bottles with a dunnock. The gas bottles are incidental really as the fact that we have a pair of dunnocks in the garden is more to the point. We also have nuthatches but they are difficult to photograph as they are quite timid.

Just noticed that the red is kinda glaring, makes your eyes go funny. Probably wrong film type chosen.

Bottles by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
All I can think is that that bird is acting suspicious, I think that's it's up to something...

Back