Short notice mini meet oop North - Pictures added

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
Steam. soot and Whippets at...

Astle Park Traction Engine Rally at Chelford this weekend

Myself and Mr. Badger are going Saturday Morning, probably.

All welcome.

What time might you be there? I have far too much film in the stash that hasn't been used yet. Now it's not blistering outside it's much more pleasant to be in it.

What time might you be there? I have far too much film in the stash that hasn't been used yet. Now it's not blistering outside it's much more pleasant to be in it.

We're making a decision tomorrow evening, but probably about 10.00 am ish to 3.00 pm ish

Weather might be an issue. It's not looking great for either day.

I do have a Minolta 35mm Weathermatic that needs testing and some wellies. See what the forecast changes to, anything over 24 hours is not anything I would bet on.

Weather might be an issue. It's not looking great for either day.
That's what they have a beer tent for! ;) Joking aside, do a forecast search for Chelford; at the moment they've given Saturday dry until around 2pm, then light rain. Besides, if it's anything like the three spots of rain we had today when it was supposed to rain then I think we'll be OK! Anyway, it's usually a good do even in light rain or showers.

That's a shame. Was looking forward to doing a film meet thing now I actually have a film camera. This is round the corner from me too.

Problem is that the village show is on Saturday. Poo.

I will see if I can get a exeat from SWMBO.
Why not see if she wants to go too? There are plenty of stalls to look round as well as the traction engines, vintage cars, tractors, etc. and usually stuff like falconry displays in the main arena when the vehicles aren't going round it, plus a rural crafts marquee with demonstrations (apparently).

Last edited:
Well, it looks like the weather is going to be OK on Saturday, with sunny intervals and a max temp of 20c, and a light breeze to keep things comfortable and disperse the steam and coal smoke. According to the website, gates open at 10am so how does 10.30am outside the beer tent sound as a meeting time and point? The beer tent is usually on the south side (car park side) of the main arena. If some people fancy a later arrival we could always have a second meet up/rendezvous at a pre-arranged time just inside the beer tent?! :D

Next question is who's going? For those looking for directions, the rally is held in rather picturesque parkland type fields immediately adjacent the A535 Holmes Chapel Road a few hundred yards south of Chelford roundabout. (y)

Last edited:
If it's not lashing it down where I am and I get out of bed early enough I'll be there.
So no chance then! ;) Joking aside, if you fancy a later arrival time then let us know and we can have a 'second meet' at the beer tent if you prefer. (y)

Been sorting through cameras for tomorrow. Gone for lightweight kit this time. Pentax *ist (a 21st century film SLR announced the week before its evil, digital twin, the *ist D) and an Olympus 35DC of a more mature vintage (1971).

I'm going for a 'part roll use-up' for cameras with film already in them. EOS 30 SLR, Ensign Selfix 16-20 and a Canon Shureshot Supreme that's been baking in my car all summer!

What's black and white and red all over? A sunburnt badger! :facepalm: I looked like a lobster by the time evening came around! It's a good job it clouded over a bit about 1pm or I think we'd have all been frazzled!

I'm glad you all enjoyed the meet-up, I know I did; Astle Park is usually a good show with plenty to take photos of. We spotted a few other film photographers there too, including a chap with a nice looking Rolleiflex, so it really does seem like the film photography movement is growing. Anyway, here's to the next F&C meet-up; any votes for Blists Hill Victorian Town living museum at Ironbridge near Telford in mid to late September?

Last edited:
What's black and white and red all over? A sunburnt badger! :facepalm: I looked like a lobster by the time evening came around! It's a good job it clouded over a bit about 1pm or I think we'd have all been frazzled!

I'm glad you all enjoyed the meet-up, I know I did; Astle Park is usually a good show with plenty to take photos of. We spotted a few other film photographers there too, including a chap with a nice looking Rolleiflex, so it really does seem like the film photography movement is growing. Anyway, here's to the next F&C meet-up; any votes for Blists Hill Victorian Town living museum at Ironbridge near Telford in mid to late September?
Had to sleep on my back as my sun-burnt ears hurt too much on the pillow.

Ironbridge sounds like a plan. [emoji106]

Had to sleep on my back as my sun-burnt ears hurt too much on the pillow.

Ironbridge sounds like a plan. [emoji106]
Ouch! I think it must have been the clear air due to the recent rain that let the sun's rays get through, plus the breeze that cooked us. We didn't have that problem during the Black Country trip, even though it was hotter.

The Ironbridge website seems to be promoting the 'all museums 1 year pass', which is a bit pricey, but if you dig down there's a 'pay on the door' day ticket for the Blists Hill site, which is quite a bit cheaper, unless of course people can make good use of the 12 month ticket deal. Once again, there's a car parking charge but I see that as an incentive to car share. Anyway, shall one of us start a thread for this towards the end of August and see who wants to go?

I'm not at all sunburned, but then I do have some distant southern genes which may help a bit.

Ironbridge definitely a plan.

I'll be posting some pictures a bit later.
Glad you've escaped unscathed. I'll look forward to seeing the photos; I've just packed 3 films in an envelope ready to post to AG tomorrow. :)

I'm waiting for new batteries for the Pentax *ist before I can finish that film ( @Andysnap 's shop price has gone up so waiting on an Evilbay delivery). I now know that when the battery warning symbol comes up you have about 5 shots left before it refuses to focus. Couple of shots left to go on the Olympus too. Time for a few 'Street Shots' and/or 'Natural Light Portraits'.

The actual Iron Bridge is being restored and covered in scaffolding and plastic I believe...
We were thinking of the Blists Hill Victorian Town rather than the bridge itself, which I believe will be under wraps for a while longer yet. Blists Hill is a living museum similar to the Black Country Museum, which after 2 visits I think we've pretty much explored photo-wise now.

The other place I thought might be good for a future F&C meet is the Martin Parr foundation in Bristol, so maybe a trip there some time next year when there's an exhibition on that we'd like to see, with some photography around Bristol afterwards?

Got the negs back today. Canon EOS 30, 28-135 IS lens, Kodak Ektar 100 and Kodak Gold 200.

Polishing the brass.

Polishing by J White, on Flickr

Waited ages to get this shot without people standing in front of it!

Dreadnaught by J White, on Flickr

Don't frighten the horses

Gallopers by J White, on Flickr

Ferguson tractor

TE20 by J White, on Flickr

Classic Vauxhall

Vauxhall by J White, on Flickr

Model boat

Ship by J White, on Flickr

Model animals

Animals by J White, on Flickr

But the stars of the show were definitely the traction engines.

Iron Duke by J White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back