Show us yer film shots then!

In 1971 I was lucky enough to get a 2-year contract to work in Adelaide, South Australia for my employer, ICL. I went out in August and stopped for 3 days in Singapore on the way, where I bought a black Pentax Spotmatic II. For the past 15 years or so I've been assuming that the SLR I currently have was the one I bought then, but my current one is a silver Pentax ME, so clearly I've been senile for a LONG time! The evidence is a terrible self-portrait shot taken in Singapore that I'm not going to show you, but definitely identifies a black Spotmatic II, self-timer and all (the latter is significant later!).

This shot was taken with my new camera on Kodacolor-X in Singapore, of sampans in the Singapore river. I didn't like Singapore then, but I did like this bit; a real sense of the original life of the natives...

CN71Dferr07_Adj by Chris R, on Flickr

I didn't expect that the sampans would all be gone by the next time I visited some 20 years later. Now it's all cleaned up and the heart of the nice antiseptic tourist district, but what drew me has long vanished.

I've got a nice nostalgia shot of dawn breaking over the Australian Northern Territory through the window of the plane taking me from Singapore to Melbourne, and another of the Boeing 707 on the tarmac at Tullamarine airport, but as photos they are of interest to no-one but me. As you can imagine, life in Australia was full of strange riches. I was particularly lucky that my place of work was extremely sociable, and in October (spring) they organised a long weekend camping trip to Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges, in the mid-north of SA (about 200 or so miles north of Adelaide, where I worked). The Flinders is a range of mountains about 200 miles south to north and around 50 miles east to west; jagged red sandstone, normally arid but that spring there had been heavy rain and we had a bit of a nightmare getting to the campsite. I seem to remember a flagon of port getting drunk that night, and this is the bleary-eyed lot getting cooked breakfast by an excessively cheerful friend!

CN71E02_Adj by Chris R, on Flickr

The Pound is a ring of hills with only one entrance, and was once used by a bandit to corrall stolen cattle. I think this fallen tree was near the creek on the way in...

CN71E07_Adj by Chris R, on Flickr

A couple of years later I was back again, on my own this time, and driving a MGB (NOT appropriate!), when I came across this damage to the road after another wet spell. The roads are just graded dirt, and eventually someone would send a grader to sort it out. I'm not sure how I got through, but I did get bogged and knocked the silencer off getting the car out! There is something truly amazing, coming from the UK, when you realise you're stuck, there's no-one for 20 miles in any direction, and it's, well, up to you to get yourself out of it!

CS73B-13_Adj by Chris R, on Flickr

Later that same year, some 100 miles or so further north at Arkaroola, we climbed a hill and looked out over the plain to the east, towards Lake Frome, a massive salt lake. This time it's dry and hot! That's a "grass tree" in the foreground.

CS73E19_Adj by Chris R, on Flickr

The last two are on transparencies, I think Ektachrome.

Last edited:
ChrisR said:
And I'm not expecting anyone else to like it, but there's something about this heavily cropped image that I really love:

I do like it. Reminds me of a shot I took in Turkey in 1982. I'll have to see if I can dig it out.

And I'm not expecting anyone else to like it, but there's something about this heavily cropped image that I really love:

CB70F02-Version2.jpg

I really like it. It has a wonderful quality to it that most panoramas (including my own) lack, a kind of peacefulness and tranquillity. The commentary with your pictures is great, I like the context that comes with them - feels like a photo book with an interesting personal touch added. (y)

I do like it. Reminds me of a shot I took in Turkey in 1982. I'll have to see if I can dig it out.

Seems I don't have it scanned yet, so I'll have to find the negs.

In the meantime, here's a film crew at work on the Pont de la Concorde in Paris in August 1984. Canon AV-1, 50mm f/1.8 and Konica 100 slide.

Making Movies by cybertect, on Flickr

Here's a couple taken in and around Edale on my Yash Mat and Adox CHS 50 Art film.
Andy

Andy, I really do like them, especially the second one of the church. Lovely moody sky and great placing of the steeple and the trees. The bridge in the first is also an excellent leading feature. Are these recent?

Thanks Chris, yes they were both from 2 weeks ago.

Andy

When I was scanning box after box of slides and packet after packet of negatives, I came across some 6*9 negatives in a packet from an Australian developer. At first I thought someone had given me the wrong packet by mistake. I couldn't scan them on the Plustek, so I had a go on the horrible Dell All-in-one and inverted the result with the Gimp. I did recognise a couple of the shots, and that set my memory working a bit better...

I remembered that my father used to have a folding Zeiss medium format camera, that I had spotted something like it for sale in Adelaide, bought it and ran a film through. There was no community like TP to encourage me at the time, and evidently I found my new SLR much more exciting, as there was only the one film and no prints. When we got back from Australia some 20 years later, I think I gave this camera to Oxfam along with the Werra; I really regret losing both those cameras!

Was it a Zeiss Ikonta? If so it would be one of the C models, given the 6*9 negative size. I'm sure it wasn't a rangefinder and had no metering. I've looked at various sites, and it could have been; possibly also one of the Agfa Billy range. I don't think I'll ever know, now!

Only 8 shots, and this one I think is the best (scanned by the local camera shop at 1200 dpi; no edge markings to identify the film).

7-1971-10-25at15-50-48.jpg

Couple from me, time to lower the overall excellent quality :)

Very old Konica 750 film only taken last year with a Contax IIIa

7557110078_76f8fc9d3e.jpg

7557115104_fdbdc38d21.jpg

Nikon FA with 16mm lens Delta 400

7557116806_80f62488f8.jpg

7557119328_a32b8693b9.jpg

Andy. The Church shot is a real winner. I'm more of a colour guy but am tempted by Adox.

Thanks Trev, I have to say I think that both the Yash Mat and the Yash A produce beautiful colour images and I will definitely be runnning some Ektar/Provia through them if we get any decent weather.

Andy

Andy, I really do like them, especially the second one of the church. Lovely moody sky and great placing of the steeple and the trees. The bridge in the first is also an excellent leading feature. Are these recent?

+1

That Silverdale cemetery looks interesting.

I didn't know there were nice features in that cemetary. I've been passed it enough times!

It does look interesting, I'm in Crewe so it's only 20 mins away, might have to pop down for an hour.

Andy

They say film is dead and I for one don't believe it but its subjects often are.

That Silverdale cemetery looks interesting.

I didn't know there were nice features in that cemetary. I've been passed it enough times!

It does look interesting, I'm in Crewe so it's only 20 mins away, might have to pop down for an hour.

Andy

I think all cemetaries are interesting, by their very nature. I'm not sure Silverdale is worth a special trip, but it's worth dropping in if you're passing.

They say film is dead and I for one don't believe it but its subjects often are.

:D Whenever I have my film camera, loaded with B+W film, I'm somehow drawn to darker subjects. Hence this next set, all taken on the Trent and Mersey Canal between Westport and Middleport.

I got a bit emotional on this outing. There's something both tragic and magnificent about these crumbling old potteries.

Westport to Middleport 15 by simon ess, on Flickr

Westport to Middleport 12 by simon ess, on Flickr

Westport to Middleport 10 by simon ess, on Flickr

Westport to Middleport 8 by simon ess, on Flickr

Westport to Middleport 6 by simon ess, on Flickr

Westport to Middleport 20 by simon ess, on Flickr

Last edited:
Only in a tog forum, eh?:naughty:

:LOL: I spent a whole year shooting Southern, Crewe and Weaste plus a few others I didn't use cemeteries for a college project.

Some recent ones, and yet another first for me ...Tonight I developed my first C41 colour negatives...and it worked....:)

Thanks for looking, Steve.

7592660282_a72d3e3661_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

7582047306_49807128df_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

7582047176_6b991c9924_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Very nice, I'm thinking a 3rd shot rotated to the left would have been good too.

Very nice, I'm thinking a 3rd shot rotated to the left would have been good too.

agree, but at the time i did not know how to compensate the exposure for more than 2 shots, now that i have done some research on the subject can go beyond the second shot :)

I do like Boots slide film! All taken with a Pentax Super A.

50mm f1.7 lens. Table decorations for a wedding, all ready to go!
20120719110144_scan-120621-0004.jpg

Tokina 17mm (bought from Ed here). Alvis ready to roll!
20120719110233_scan-120621-0013.jpg

Very nice Brian, that 17mm is a cracking little lens.

Thanks Nick.

It's a fun lens to use. Most of the people in the digital forums would complain that it's soft in the corners (though crop cameras will help there), but to me it's just part of the fun, and it's sharp enough where it counts and has a nice rendering! 17mm on 35mm is wide too!

Some recent ones, and yet another first for me ...Tonight I developed my first C41 colour negatives...and it worked....:)

Firstly Steve, congrats on the C41 developing - I don't know what it involves exactly, but you certainly seem to have cracked it (y).

Secondly, where was the shot above taken and do you know what the significance of the Venetian-style mask is :shrug:?

Oh and thirdly, great pics :D!

Just got a film back from Asda the film is quite old and I still need plenty practice with this camera.

Rose by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Last edited:
Firstly Steve, congrats on the C41 developing - I don't know what it involves exactly, but you certainly seem to have cracked it (y).

Secondly, where was the shot above taken and do you know what the significance of the Venetian-style mask is :shrug:?

Oh and thirdly, great pics :D!

Thanks for the reply Andy, the sculptures are on show at the cloisters at chichester cathedral..I only called in and had a quick look and will try and go back in better light later this week..
I am not sure what the sculptuires are all about, But I think they are done by this guy.. http://www.philipjacksonsculptures.co.uk/Large_works/index.htm

Thanks for the reply Andy, the sculptures are on show at the cloisters at chichester cathedral..I only called in and had a quick look and will try and go back in better light later this week..
I am not sure what the sculptuires are all about, But I think they are done by this guy.. http://www.philipjacksonsculptures.co.uk/Large_works/index.htm

I'd say you're probably right about the sculptor (y). In fact, I'm sure now, having seen this on his website (Link ...).

I really like his work and the titles of the pieces too ("Gale Force Nun" and "Guided Missal" being two of the best :D).

Thanks for the info. I look forward to seeing some more of your shots, at some point :).

Last edited:

7592660282_a72d3e3661_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Steve,
Nice shot - and lovely colours. I'd be interested in hearing what C-41 chems and conditions you used - colour developing is next on my list of things to have a bash at.

Simon

Steve,
Nice shot - and lovely colours. I'd be interested in hearing what C-41 chems and conditions you used - colour developing is next on my list of things to have a bash at.

Simon

I have been using the Tetenal c41-1 litre kit, which is fairly straight forward..the main thing from what I can see is temperature ( 38 celius plus or minus half a degree ) and timing.
I have been doing mine in a jobo processor, but cant see why you cant do it in a drum hand agitated...go on give it a go :).. I am going to have a go at E6 next.

Steve-B said:
I have been using the Tetenal c41-1 litre kit, which is fairly straight forward..the main thing from what I can see is temperature ( 38 celius plus or minus half a degree ) and timing.
I have been doing mine in a jobo processor, but cant see why you cant do it in a drum hand agitated...go on give it a go :).. I am going to have a go at E6 next.

I've been looking into the tetenal kit and it seems pretty straight forward and have read about using Patterson super system 4 tanks for it, with gloves obviously lol
My water is pretty mineral free and can be kept at whatever temp i choose so i can't see any problems?
Anything you've come across that's a faff?

Back