Show us yer film shots then!

A few more from Skye:

More great shots from Skye. I'm going up at the end of the month for a few days and these images just whet my appetite for it!

The last one looks like Camasunary bay and Sgurr na Stri?

Some great shots there RJ. I really must go to Skye one day. Ive got friends that live there, so have the perfect opportunity, its just finding the time... :(

Yeah, it's an amazing place. You don't have any excuses if you have friends living there!

More great shots from Skye. I'm going up at the end of the month for a few days and these images just whet my appetite for it!

The last one looks like Camasunary bay and Sgurr na Stri?

Yep, the last one is Camasunary bay; it's a beautiful little spot.

Another image from my SQ-A.

Another from the same morning as previous post. Just too perfect with hardly a cloud in the sky.

original.jpg

Yep, the last one is Camasunary bay; it's a beautiful little spot.

I agree. On my first trip to Skye we climbed Sgurr na Stri and the views from the top overlooking the Cuillin were magnificent.

I agree. On my first trip to Skye we climbed Sgurr na Stri and the views from the top overlooking the Cuillin were magnificent.

Yeah, I've heard that Sgurr na Stri is one of Britain's finest viewpoints, so I think we might have to look into climbing it ourselves whenever we're there next.

I'm continuing to try out ATP, I'm linking the resolution but its a little hard to work, the edges show some light ingress probably from being loaded with a light on. Developing looks a little uneven but then thats probably becuase its developed by homoeopathy, Rodinal 1+200 for 12 minutes.

This one came off the scanner with the sepia tone; I don't know why but I like it.

City From St Anthonys Chapel - Sepia
by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Me again!

I went off to Cornwall with my girlfriend for my birthday over the weeked, and am having such a great time with my C220 that I took that instead of my normal DSLR. I only had two rolls of film left (luckily, or I would have taken loads more and cost myself a fortune!), so I tried to be really picky with my shots and make them last the weekend.

The colour ones were taken on Ektar 100, and the black and whites were FP4+

1- My girlfriend stood in the harbour at St Ives.

Angi in St Ives
by Carl Hall Photography, on Flickr

2- Crab pots in St Ives.

St Ives

3- Godrevy Lighthouse

Godrevy Lighthouse

4- Another shot of Godrevy Lighthouse but with a coastal path sign in frame. Used f/32 for this and was surprised it was all in focus.

Godrevy Lighthouse
5- Lands End

Lands End

6- Tin mines at Botallack

Botallack Mines

Those are excellent Carl. The first one is stunning, the depth of field really makes your gf stand out from the background.

well you had a good walk around down there :) great set. I'll be back home at easter so i hope the weather holds out as well as it did for you.

@Carl Hall Great stuff. Anything from Cornwall really hits the spot for me. I love the place.
Incidentally, should the Black and White of the lighthouse be the other way around. Seems at odds with the colour version !

Thanks everyone, It was my first time in Cornwall (Even though it's only 2-3 hours away from me!!) but I will definitely be going back!

Incidentally, should the Black and White of the lighthouse be the other way around. Seems at odds with the colour version !

Well I'll be damned. Did not notice that! haha. This is the problem with scanning your own film! thanks for the heads up, I'll change that in a bit :)

Last edited:
Me again!

I went off to Cornwall with my girlfriend for my birthday over the weeked, and am having such a great time with my C220 that I took that instead of my normal DSLR. I only had two rolls of film left (luckily, or I would have taken loads more and cost myself a fortune!), so I tried to be really picky with my shots and make them last the weekend.

Angi in St Ives

2- Crab pots in St Ives.

St Ives

3- Godrevy Lighthouse

Godrevy Lighthouse

4- Another shot of Godrevy Lighthouse but with a coastal path sign in frame. Used f/32 for this and was surprised it was all in focus.

Godrevy Lighthouse
5- Lands End

Lands End

Botallack Mines
Thats a very nice set of images.

A few from the New Forest (click to see in Flickr lightbox for better view).

All shot with Praktica Super TL & Ilford Delta 400 B&W Film.

1. Forked

2. Otherworld I

3. Otherworld II

4. Otherworld III

Good stuff, Glen; my preference is the 3rd, as the 4th has some stuff leading out of frame bottom left. But 3 and 4 (and maybe 2) seem to have a strange light band just under the top (or alternatively a darker band at the top). Is that a scanner artefact or some kind of light leak?

Me again!

Angi in St Ives

2- Crab pots in St Ives.

St Ives

3- Godrevy Lighthouse

Godrevy Lighthouse

Godrevy Lighthouse
5- Lands End

Lands End

Botallack Mines
Carl, very nice work indeed, great composition and engaging subject matter

I have been trying some very old ( about 30 years !) Kodak Ektar 25 i had in my fridge for years -- first test I loaded my 1970's Canon FTbn and processed in used C41 for 4 mins but the negs were 'thin' like they were under-developed -- but I got some scans off -- then the next film I loaded my 1975 Asahi Pentax KX and tried again and gave 5 mins development and I got some better scans -- here are some samples --- Epson 1650, Vuescan Pro, PhotoShop 7 ---

Canon FTBn + 50mm f1.4 SSC Canon at f2.8

Ektar 25 02
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Canon FTBn + 35mm f3.5 SSC Canon at f4

Ektar 25 04
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Asahi pentax KX + 24mm f2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena £ 10-00 'Car Boot Sale' bargain lens at f5.6

Ektar 25 11
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Asahi Pentax KX + 50mm f1.4 SMC Pentax-M lens at f5.6 ( a detail from the hoarding of the Hotel development above)

Ektar 25 13
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

They've come out pretty well, Peter, especially the ivy. The second one does look a little light, and the reds in the 3rd look a bit odd, but that could be the scanning and inversion, I guess. What ISO did you shoot at? I've heard 1 stop per decade suggested, which would make it about ISO 3!

That was QUICK Chris !! Well I had some 1984 Kodak Panatomic X I was also using and tried it at 32 ASA and 25 ASA and the 32 ASA was STILL GOOD -- so I rated the Ektar 25 at 25 ASA -- been fridge stored -- but next film I will try at 12 ASA ASA (negs were a but 'thin' but I got these scans off. ) -- Faster films do lose their sensitivity much quicker especially 400 ASA and faster -- I have some 2001 cold-stored Fuji Press 800 which is now 200 ASA.

Reactions: Jao
Good stuff, Glen; my preference is the 3rd, as the 4th has some stuff leading out of frame bottom left. But 3 and 4 (and maybe 2) seem to have a strange light band just under the top (or alternatively a darker band at the top). Is that a scanner artefact or some kind of light leak?

Yeah, I spotted those areas but after some investigation I'm not really sure what it is.

I don't think it's a scanner artefact as it's not on the negatives consistently. Looking at the negatives, it's in the image. Light leak is possible, however, again it doesn't show in other images - just in those ones in that area the images were taken.

I know that the light was low and bright that day, in the direction of the right hand side - where the light banding is. Having looked at a digital image from a similar area, there does seem to be a little bit of the same effect of the bright light on very small, fine branches that are densely packed together. However, that image is further away from where the light was leaking in, and the equipment seems to have dealt with it better.

I could well be wrong in these assessments, but it looks like the effect has appeared as a result of the light falling in this area in a certain way, and perhaps the old camera and lens can't pick out the detail as well as my modern digital one can.

Obviously if anyone has any better or more solid theories then I'd be interested to hear. Fortunately I quite like the effect it's had and don't find it too detrimental.

Thanks for the comments. :)

I was down there a few weeks back and shot a lot of 35mm. I couldnt post any up as i want to submit one for the poty thing! But its an awesome place, a real monument to concrete. Im back there tomorrow with my LF gear weather permitting.

I keep forgetting about the POTY... ah well, I don't think I'd be in with a shot anyway!

View attachment 8149

taken in the Ice Age we had a couple of years ago, using my trusty EOS 100 with a 70-210mm lens, hand held with Earl Grey black and white film, i saw this scene and rushed home for my cameras. I'm glad i did.

Well worth the trip I'd say. Cracking shot.

I keep forgetting about the POTY... ah well, I don't think I'd be in with a shot anyway!
TBH even 2 months down you'll have as much chance as me, probably more. Most people haven't actually scored any points yet and us filmies don't have that much separating us, though most of the points are pretty well concentrated...

Last edited:
Some shots from my newly acquired Summicron shot on Ektar, absolutely woeful scanning from Max Spielmann has raped the image quality of these, need to get them rescanned properly. I assume this is problem anyway because it's suddenly made Ektar look worse than pound shop film :/

Ektar & 5cm Summicron Test
by Tom Horton Photo, on Flickr

Reactions: Jao
ok something a bit more experimental. A triptych of sorts from some random shots on the tube. Its played as the viewers eye running over the carriage, resting finally on the hoody. There's lots of little stories going on in the frames and it works for me :) but granted it wont be for everyone.

Good old poundland agfa, M3 and 50mm summicron

Just scanned some Fuji Acros I shot on my M645J using the PD prism for metering. I was pushing the ISO around on a few to see how well Acros coped and it's surprisingly resilient although Iso100 (box speed) is definitely the sweet spot.

1 - Let sleeping dogs lie - This is our little Daisy dog taking a well earned nap

Let Sleeping Dogs..
by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

2 - I'm...yours - This was as much a lens test as a planned image. Shot wide open at F2.8, minimum focus distance. I was going to crop the bottom to make a letterbox layout but quite like the empty space now I've scanned it.

Yours

3 - Crop Test - I was interested to see just how sharp the 80mm/2.8 is handheld so this was shot in my car, handheld at F11. The crop afterwards is from the bottom left corner (I reckon its' pretty sharp..)

M645j 80mm F11 Test

M645j 80mm F11 Test Crop

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
ok something a bit more experimental. A triptych of sorts from some random shots on the tube. Its played as the viewers eye running over the carriage, resting finally on the hoody. There's lots of little stories going on in the frames and it works for me :) but granted it wont be for everyone.

Good old poundland agfa, M3 and 50mm summicron

I like these a lot; interested in the colour of the reds on the poles inside the train; they've come out a lot darker, maybe more maroon (?) in your shots. It kibd of fits the mood, and I wondered if it was deliberate.

Aaaand a few more from London a couple of years ago, also on Agfa Vista. :)

SFl0ZeU.jpg

gxjbQ0J.jpg

This is a really excellent set, Paul. Reds very much a feature here; did you do anything to emphasise them, did that drive the selection, or pure chance?

This is a really excellent set, Paul. Reds very much a feature here; did you do anything to emphasise them, did that drive the selection, or pure chance?

Thanks very much, Chris! Red is indeed a big feature here which didn't actually occur to me at the time I took them. The ones I've posted here are just the ones I felt best put across what was going on rather than the choice being based on colour. For the most part the colours are untouched apart from a little general tweaking, I don't think I increased saturation at all on any of the London ones.

Thanks again! :)

Last edited:
Back