Show us yer film shots then!

When I have done interiors like that, tripod and 'Time Exposure' I let off a few flashes pointed down to the dark areas and it improves things.

Church interiors are very difficult. Too much light and you destroy the ambiance. I prefer to use HDR to cope with both shadows and windows in shot and then I am happy to have black shadows and some blown highlights. I think Simon has got the exposures pretty good.

When I have done interiors like that, tripod and 'Time Exposure' I let off a few flashes
pointed down to the dark areas and it improves things.
Thanks for the tip Pete. I have been thinking about using a bit of fill flash here and there.

Church interiors are very difficult. Too much light and you destroy the ambiance. I prefer to use HDR to cope with both shadows and windows in shot and then I am happy to have black shadows and some blown highlights. I think Simon has got the exposures pretty good.

Cheers John. I'm quite happy with them, if I do say so myself. I see what Pete's saying though.

Yashica FR1 + Yashica DSB 135mm f/2.8 + Kodak Gold 200

Nuremberg

Some colors are missing, got distracted by another thing while developing and it was almost 5 minutes overtime with the developer, I don't know if it is over or underdeveloped (always mix up those). :(

Yashica FR1 + Yashica DSB 135mm f/2.8 + Kodak Gold 200

Nuremberg

Some colors are missing, got distracted by another thing while developing and it was almost 5 minutes overtime with the developer, I don't know if it is over or underdeveloped (always mix up those). :(
It still looks good- I'm biased. One of my favourite cameras.

#3....(y)

intrigued to see more of the stream tho.........................:)

I have just looked at the scans back from peak imaging from a roll I shot in a new to me Canon EOS 1V. I was using a 50mm 1.2 lens. The exposures were mostly good like this
CNV00016 by biotecbob, on Flickr

but there were two consecutive bad exposures like this:
CNV00017 by biotecbob, on Flickr

I think the bad ones were shot wide open. Any ideas what could have caused this? I was using av mode.

Looking at the neg would give you an idea...my guess is well under exposed and scanner noise because of this.

Yes I think it is underexposed I just don't understand why there would be two consecutive under exposures on the roll and all the rest ok. Slightly worried that it could be a camera problem.

I think the bad ones were shot wide open. Any ideas what could have caused this? I was using av mode.

Although it's not the only explanation, I suppose the simplest answer is that the meter was fooled and/or didn't work.

Were your two underexposed images of the same scene. If not, do they feature similar lighting scenarios?

I can't see how a wide open aperture would make any difference here, especially as camera has a focal plane shutter.

Yes I think it is underexposed I just don't understand why there would be two consecutive under exposures on the roll and all the rest ok. Slightly worried that it could be a camera problem.

Well you'll only really know by trying another roll of film or without film you could point the camera and different light sources with the back open (if possible) and see if the iris changes.

I recently bought a Nikon FE from Asha in excellent condition and picked up a 50mm 1,8 E series lens from ebay - just got the first roll back from Filmdev (excellent service btw).

Shifting Goalposts by Jon, on Flickr

Tintern Abbey by Jon, on Flickr

Brockweir Moravian Church by Jon, on Flickr

Very much like the third one.:)

Good to see that the FE is giving you quality images like it did me......presumably thèse were all shot in A mode, thus the camera metered and set the shutter speed accordingly?.......i shot some slide film through that body and all metered just fine;):)

Somewhere between Atlanta and Savannah, Georgia.

Kodak Ektar 100

very poor
none of your horizontal lines are level - and the verticals are not vertical.......:(
oh, wat a minute.............................................:ROFLMAO:..

Given that all the horizontals and verticals are in the old wooden buildings, there may have been no horizontals or verticals.

very poor
none of your horizontal lines are level - and the verticals are not vertical.......:(
oh, wat a minute.............................................:ROFLMAO:..

It may not be worth investing in a tilt shift lens to capture this architectural masterpiece in all its glory.

I am going through a bit of an old folders phase at the moment. All images self developed Ektar 100 -(Fuji Hunt Kit) and scanned with a Coolscan 9000

Originals at https://www.flickr.com/photos/nico1974/

Voigtlander Perkeo I with Color Skopar 80/3.5 lens

26647640890_98fee1640a_b.jpg

Mamiya Six Folder IV

26920610165_4a28954a22_b.jpg

Mamiya Six Folder IV

26315411114_d09a451baa_b.jpg

Mamiya Six Folder IV

26927264755_3bb8942e11_b.jpg

Mamiya Six Folder IV

26833757512_9c74aa3bff_b.jpg

26893838316_b0427cc722_b.jpg

26868555521_3742699aeb_b.jpg

26903368646_0aff024ef0_b.jpg

Thank you for your comments. My Mamiya Six folder has the Olympus D Zuiko FC 3.5/75 - the last version before they started using the Mamiya labeled one.

It seems to have an excellent coverage into the corners for a 4 element Tessar type lens.

It seems to have an excellent coverage into the corners for a 4 element Tessar type lens.

Yes it has an amazing lens for a Tessar design - sharper than the Xenar 3.5/75 of my Rolleicord Vb at equivalent apertures with nicer bokeh. Just to clarify that mine is the Mamiya IV B model the one before the Mamiya Six Automat. It is build like a tank and I could not be happier with it.

Given that all the horizontals and verticals are in the old wooden buildings, there may have been no horizontals or verticals.

.............woooooooooooooooosh.....................................>>.....:)

Lovely work Nicholas, I've got a bit of a hankering for a Perkeo. I am definitely a Voigtlander fanboy.

My old School Mate Jimmy Lewis ( now residing in USA) had a Perkeo like that bought by his Mum in the 1950's when we were members of East Ham Grammar School Photo-Soc -- I used to develop his films -- he used mostly Ilford HP3 I remember !

Last edited:
Very good test shots Nick but I prefer the 2nd one...maybe Ektar (or scanning) is showing a blue cast (first guess)

I am going through a bit of an old folders phase at the moment. All images self developed Ektar 100 -(Fuji Hunt Kit) and scanned with a Coolscan 9000

Originals at https://www.flickr.com/photos/nico1974/

26647640890_98fee1640a_b.jpg

Mamiya Six Folder IV

26920610165_4a28954a22_b.jpg

Mamiya Six Folder IV

26315411114_d09a451baa_b.jpg

Mamiya Six Folder IV

26927264755_3bb8942e11_b.jpg

Mamiya Six Folder IV

26833757512_9c74aa3bff_b.jpg

26893838316_b0427cc722_b.jpg

26868555521_3742699aeb_b.jpg

26903368646_0aff024ef0_b.jpg

Another cracking set of photos. I love the minimalism and your eye for colour. You're certainly putting those folders to good use :)

I've been trying to shoot more black and white photographs, but I continue to find it difficult to get the sorts of images, tones, and contrast that I want. I think these are getting closer to what I'm looking for, although we'll see how I feel about them in a week...

I'm certainly looking forward to shooting more colour again; the choice of films, developers, processing, and filters is making my head spin.

Back