Acros 100 / Xtol Stock scanned with a Coolscan 9000

Originals at https://www.flickr.com/photos/nico1974/

Mamiya C220 with 80/2.8 lens

26729732250_9ce07586d8_b.jpg

26882789832_9d8a3791cc_b.jpg

26909362882_d154ae3933_b.jpg

26909362262_e4dc6d7761_b.jpg

26943498256_15b4c5ffc6_b.jpg

You do seem to have the knack of finding interesting abstracts Nicholas, lovely work with some great compositions and tones.

Super set Nicholas. Love the numbers theme.

First field test of a recently acquired Yashica-Mat camera (Yashinon 80mm f/3.5) and also first attempt using D-76 as developer with Fomapan 100.

I'm very happy with the camera, especially about how it handles, compared with my other TLR (Ikoflex 1b), despite it is a little bit bigger. I'm also happy with the results, D-76 (1+1) gives less grain than R09 (1+50) with Fomapan 100.

What do you think?, any advice and/or recommendations based on experience? :)

Ariel, with two variables and one measure, you can never be sure which variable produced the effect... but these seem a little low on contrast to me. Nothing a slider or two wouldn't fix, I guess. I think I like no 2 the best.

What do you think?, any advice and/or recommendations based on experience? :)

...these seem a little low on contrast to me. Nothing a slider or two wouldn't fix, I guess.

Congrats on the Yashica Mat; I had one for a while myself. They're nice little cameras (although I myself really would like to have a go with your Ikoflex 1B, especially if it has a Novar taking lens!)

I agree with Chris that the photographs are a little low on contrast, but I think that the issue would be better addressed at the time of exposure with coloured filters, rather than in post. I've been using the chart below a lot recently, as it helps me to select the appropriate filter to get the contrast and separation of tones that I'm aiming for with my black and white photography. No amount of post processing can replicate these effects.

Chris and RJ, thank you both for your comments and help.

It is true that using two variables makes impossible to distinguish the effect of each one, it was not the smartest thing to do (taking notes :) ), but at least now I'm able to see the difference in the grain between D76 and R09 on Fomapan 100, and that the camera works OK (no light leaks, focus and speeds seems accurate, etc).

Regarding the contrast, I do not have color filters for this camera (I usually use yellow or orange with my SLR), but on the negative looks much better than the final digital result here, so maybe I should go and make some prints to compare.

RJ, the Ikoflex has a Tessar 75mm f/3.5 lens, if someday you visit Nuremberg let me know and you can take it for a test run. (y)

I have hundreds of images I took with a Pentax film camera in the 70's & 80's. Every so often I scan one to digitise, but I never seem to get it quite right. Scanned image to TIFF @ 1600 on an HP Photosmart. Are there settings others use?

View attachment 64710

You just need a bit of a contrast boost, I think. Here's a 10 second edit, with increased contrast, reduced saturation, and a bit of sharpening.

Loch-Ness0001Web (1).jpg

I have hundreds of images I took with a Pentax film camera in the 70's & 80's. Every so often I scan one to digitise, but I never seem to get it quite right. Scanned image to TIFF @ 1600 on an HP Photosmart. Are there settings others use?

View attachment 64710

You are not the only one using OOD film or old negs with possible colour shifts, and with scanning some don't come out right...but your one:- about a minute's work in Photoshop and it looks quite nice.

You just need a bit of a contrast boost, I think. Here's a 10 second edit, with increased contrast, reduced saturation, and a bit of sharpening.

View attachment 64714

You are not the only one using OOD film or old negs with possible colour shifts, and with scanning some don't come out right...but your one:- about a minute's work in Photoshop and it looks quite nice.

Thanks both, maybe I'm beeing a little to laid back on the editing front :) Had only really applied de noise & sharpening apart from a little dodge & burn. Will have to set off doing the other few hundred :)

Cracking work Asha, the 1st and 3rd are particularly good.

Thanks Nick! Seems they are popular with a number of people...Cheers everyone for your likes (y)

Here's the last batch ....Phew I hear you say :D

There's some scratches, notably on the Austin Healey image.

The film detached itself from the interns of the cassette so I had to unload the exposed film from the take up spool inside a changing bag.....in the process a handful of frames got damaged.:(

if anyone wants to have a mess about removing the marks then I don't mind:p

Sans titre-17 Retouched and Printed.jpg

Sans titre-23 Retouched and Printed.jpg

Sans titre-28 Retoched and Printed.jpg

Sans titre-31 Retouched and Printed.jpg

ARIEL adds all known oily stains! :D
Taken on the Bronica ETRSi with a 40mm lens.

View attachment 65177

That looks like a studio take,Well done it is just such a good portrait,the bike is wonderful,but,the portrait better. Very impressed.(y).

That looks like a studio take,Well done it is just such a good portrait,the bike is wonderful,but,the portrait better. Very impressed.(y).

Thanks Richard,
It was taken using the WLF to get the low angle and an elevated hand held Metz 60ct flash to fill in.

Back