Show us yer film shots then!

I hope that you're enjoying the SQ-A!

I particularly like number two with its golden light and out of focus highlights.

I really am! It's a joy to use, the huge viewfinder is so lovely. And I find having just 12 shots does make me think more about each one.

I was lucky, were were out just at the right time of day for the golden sunset light :)

What chems were you using, @Kevin Allan ? I'm thinking of cross-processing some Vista 200 soon, only have Ilfosol 3...

That's actually worked rather well.

A strange coincidence as I have just been to see my mum and dad and mum used to work in a photographic shop in the 1950's and her main roll was developing film. A chap came in (who it transpires she had actually been out with previously, my father was shocked....:D) with a roll of film from his holidays. She took it upstairs and developed it but when it was complete the film was a complete mess, turns out it was a colour film which my mum had never even heard of. They had to pay him for the film and some compensation for his loss. My mum never went out with him again.... ;)

What chems were you using, @Kevin Allan ? I'm thinking of cross-processing some Vista 200 soon, only have Ilfosol 3...
The film developer was Firstcall B&W film developer (http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/firstcall-bw-film-developer-1-litre/p4724) which is pretty cheap at £4.99 (apart from the minimum postal charge of course) for 1 litre. I use it at the highest dilution of 1+15 which means that £4.99 will produce 15 litres, yielding 60 films in my Jobo tank. The developer appears to be rebadged Rollei RHS-D74-DC which sells for £13.27 !

Here are 40 images developed in the same stuff: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=33186310@N03&sort=date-taken-desc&text=firstcall&view_all=1

I'm sure that Ilfosol 3 will be appropriate. The Massive Dev Chart may have a time for XP2 in that developer which could be used as a guide. Bear in mind that I didn't know I was developing colour film so I used the standard times for Acros; this might not have been the best time for C41 film. The resulting negs have a very dark brown mask which could be difficult to scan through; I created a raw scan in Vuescan which was then inverted in ColorPerfect, and further edited in Lightroom.

Because of the strong mask (which I now know from further googling is standard when C41 is developed in BW developer) these negs are not going to be useable for wet printing in the darkroom, they are only useable for scanning. And if you're going to be scanning, you could just as easily develop in proper C41 chemicals (or send out for processing) and then convert them to mono in software. I've just done some mono conversions of Agfa Vista which I will post.

In my view, whilst the accident didn't turn out too badly, I can't see that many circumstances where it would make sense to do this deliberately.

Last edited:
Here's a few mono conversions from Agfa Vista 200 negatives, developed in normal C41 chemicals and converted in Lightroom:

2016-5-17, Wharfedale, Oly 35RC, Agfa Vista, Fuji chems, Jobo, 11.jpg

Bolton Abbey woods
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Ferns and logs

Of course with this method you have a colour image as well so the choice is made on an image-by-image basis

Last edited:
I've never had any good results developing Vista 200 in B&W chems. I've only done stand developing in Rodinal 1+100 though. The negatives always turn out very murky and difficult to scan with hardly any contrast. Much better to dev in C41 and convert to mono in LR/PS I think. Although Vista 200 in 1+100 Rodinal is pretty much the cheapest possible way to shoot film I reckon!

Durdle Door. Zenit TTL, Super-Takumar 35mm, Vista. ASDA development - I watched her drape my negs over the table as she rolled it up, so I don't feel quite so sad about it probably losing film dev soon.

View attachment 68281

A nice shot ruined by a bad scan, and can't think it's well under exposed causing the problem..........have a look at the neg to see if the exposure is ok and ask the girl to scan again.

Last edited:
A nice shot ruined by a bad scan, and can't think it's well under exposed causing the problem..........have a look at the neg to see if the exposure is ok and ask the girl to scan again.

The scan was mine - I think it looks ok. My complaint was just about the handling of the film. The exposure could very well be off, I was using sunny 16.

The scan was mine - I think it looks ok. My complaint was just about the handling of the film. The exposure could very well be off, I was using sunny 16.

H'mm well sorry but on my monitor it's "dirty" looking in the sky and only mentioned it because I like the shot......if you bring the shot up in Photoshop and enlarge you can see the problem.......in my experience, scanners don't like under exposed negs and that's why I mentioned it.

I thought the exposure was fine and did not understand Excalibur's comment.

If you look at my entry in "you and yours" challenge the sky is also dirty, I don't know why this happened for a home scan but can get away with it (excuses) as the slide is 50 years old, but Keith's film was fresh and surely shouldn't be giving the same result.

Some from Tenby and St David's. Rolleiflex Automat and Ektar 100

St David's Cathedral ceiling.
St-Davids-Ceiling2 by Andy, on Flickr

Couple of big old six by sixes stitched together. Tenby Harbour.
Tenby-Harbour-Pano by Andy, on Flickr

And a crop to remove the boring bits.
Tenby-Harbour-Pano2 by Andy, on Flickr

And conversion because there was very little colour in it anyway.
Tenby-1 by Andy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love the first uncropped pano Andy. Great sky and lots to explore.

Accidently put Kodak gold in the camera exp in 2003 but got away with it but seems to have a bit of haze maybe caused by flair at a guess..... Pentax 24-35mm at 24mm

Delft Holland..never heard of it? shame on you (and me) as Vermeer was born there and other famous painters lived and painted there, also university is well known and Delft pottery...usual canals and lots of bikes

A friend of a friend had a boat and we went out on that for the day...along the canals some of the bridges were so low if you didn't duck down you could get a Tyson Fury type knockout blow.

Last edited:
A couple from another 'test' bit of film from my 1956 Agfa Isolette III which I had repaired the seized-up focus ring -- used the second half of a cut 07/1984 Ilford HP5 I had been given, rated at 200 ASA as before and processed in my Home-Made Microphen Formula 1+1 as before -- negs had a high 'Fog' level due to film age but the FOCUS is still accurate .
Isolette Ruins 01.jpg Isolette Silhouette.jpg

new [to me] Nikon F80 from @BJP - trying out my new Nikon 35mm/1.8 - with AGFA Vista 400
my garden
96810018%20edit%201024_zpszyqlbg46.jpg

Last edited:
Three fine images, Andy

Thanks Kevin. I was going to sell the Voigtlander but the lens is so good I think I'll keep it. The meter seems to be underexposing by a stop or so but now I know that I can compensate.

Andy

I have yet to try that 'Fomapan' but have lots of outdated B&W films to use up first !

I used my lovely 1975 era Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F again with the second half of a cut 'TURA ' ( Agfa ) P150 film rated at 80 ASA and processed in Rodinal 1+50 for 17mins @ 20oC
Poor Little 'Lost Dog' in our shopping mall -- 24mm f3.5 SMC Takumar at full aperture, 1/30th second
SPF 24 f3.5.jpg

50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar at full aperture, 1/1000th second
50 f1.4 02.jpg
150mm f4 SMC Takumar at f5.6 1/250th second
SPF 150 02.jpg

35mm f2 Super Takumar at full aperture 1/500th second-- bricks well resolved in centre where I focussed -- bit soft outside but out of Depth of Field.
SPF 35 f2.jpg

Been trawling through the archives and found this image from Sept 2010.

Mamiya RZ67 and Fuji Provia 100F

Holy Island sunrise

This bring back memories @Andysnap, perhaps sitting down by the dock of the bay, watching the tide rush in over the road stranding you...

That's a fantastic shot Kevin, just enough detail in the darker areas and great timing with the shaft of light.

Back