Show us yer film shots then!

Your Burj Kalifa shot looks a little grainy and to my eyes doesn't look straight but your 'little chef' shot is fantastic, it's what portra does best.

Your Burj Kalifa shot looks a little grainy and to my eyes doesn't look straight but your 'little chef' shot is fantastic, it's what portra does best.

Indeed burj khalifa is grainy and it was impossible to get the frame right because of crowd! seems portra 400 is not good at long exposures! i was not happy at all with grain.

I call it, "Life through the eyes of a Fed1G"...

IMG_6981.JPG

I knew the leader had torn when winding on felt strangely smooth but I was sure I'd captured some of my greatest images before that point. Turns out they'll never be seen!

I've now got a roll of XP2 Super loaded in it so I must be a glutton for punishment :0)

I was quite pleased with my most recent shot until I saw this... this is beautiful, can I ask what developer you used, I've never seen trix so smooth

Thanks - the film was developed in Firstcall B&W Film Developer, diluted 1+15.

The film was rated at ISO250 and the "normal" developing time reduced by 20%, i.e "overexpose and underdevelop" in order to avoid the highlights blowing out.

Last edited:
I call it, "Life through the eyes of a Fed1G"...

View attachment 93570

I knew the leader had torn when winding on felt strangely smooth but I was sure I'd captured some of my greatest images before that point. Turns out they'll never be seen!

I've now got a roll of XP2 Super loaded in it so I must be a glutton for punishment :0)

I rather like the simplicity of these shots, the framing and composition give rise to feelings of peace and calm and the beautiful lighting makes one feel that there is hope in the future....:D

I rather like the simplicity of these shots, the framing and composition give rise to feelings of peace and calm and the beautiful lighting makes one feel that there is hope in the future....:D

Mother-fudging, barsteward, &^&*^&&*^&)(*(* Soviet patience tester!

I've just screwed up the roll of XP2 as well. Maybe I'm destined to not get on well with a bottom-loading russian vodka-fuelled rangefinder after all. After un-picking the film from around the cogs that wind it on I've just run it through again and it's winding on perfectly! I think it's down to me not getting it completely level when I'm loading it because there's no room for error. It's a shame because I find the simplicity of the camera and its' handling nice but it's costing me a fortune! I think I'll give it one more chance then it's on Ebay if it kills another roll :0)

I've just screwed up the roll of XP2 as well. Maybe I'm destined to not get on well with a bottom-loading russian vodka-fuelled rangefinder after all. After un-picking the film from around the cogs that wind it on I've just run it through again and it's winding on perfectly! I think it's down to me not getting it completely level when I'm loading it because there's no room for error. It's a shame because I find the simplicity of the camera and its' handling nice but it's costing me a fortune! I think I'll give it one more chance then it's on Ebay if it kills another roll :0)

methinks you need a T70 with auto load :D

I think I've figured out the problem. After shooting 10-15 frames I can see that the film bulges out from the take up spool;

IMG_6982.JPG

I reckon that's causing the exposed film to get caught up in the winding cogs which is then causing the jam. The winding on mechanism is smooth to start with then suddenly starts to feel tight. Looking at the spool I think this is the problem;

IMG_6984.JPG

The sprung clip that holds the film on is sticking up too high so even though the exposed film is tight on the spool it still sticks up too far. I'll have to get a small screwdriver under the inside edge to give it a pivot to bend flat. I'll also add a bit of tape to it once I load the leader to hold it flat to the spool. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Is this a quirk with the Fed 1? I had a later model and had no problems loading it. 99 other problems but loading wasn't one.

Another recent building image, i quite like the way the sun has caught the bench at the bottom of the building.
Same as before Konica and Kentmere.

R1_03940_0011a.jpg

Alright McJay-Z ;)

I think it might be a quirk specifically with the take up spool in my Fed rather than a general Fed1G issue. I'll keep pressure on the clip to see if it flattens. If not I'll use tape to hold it down on the next film I load.

I think I've figured out the problem. After shooting 10-15 frames I can see that the film bulges out from the take up spool;

View attachment 93616

I reckon that's causing the exposed film to get caught up in the winding cogs which is then causing the jam. The winding on mechanism is smooth to start with then suddenly starts to feel tight. Looking at the spool I think this is the problem;

View attachment 93617

The sprung clip that holds the film on is sticking up too high so even though the exposed film is tight on the spool it still sticks up too far. I'll have to get a small screwdriver under the inside edge to give it a pivot to bend flat. I'll also add a bit of tape to it once I load the leader to hold it flat to the spool. Wish me luck!

buy a new spool

View attachment 93616

View attachment 93617

I'm fairly certain that you're correct in your conclusion. I've got a FED 2, on which the whole back and base comes off as one piece for loading film. When the back is removed, I can see that the clearance between the wind on sprockets and the take up school full with my 24 exposure dummy film is very little. If it was loaded with 36 exposures on top of a bulge, it would definitely cause the film to foul the sprockets.

Best of luck with trying to flatten that spring steel on the spool.

Fixed it :0)

IMG_6986.JPG

A combination of heating the spring while clamping it with pliers then quickly cooling it with water has got it back into the proper shape. Fingers crossed it won't cause any more film blockages now. Sorry for clogging the photos thread, I'll try to actually get some results now!

Back