Show us yer film shots then!

So I got some scans back from FilmDev yesterday so thought I would share some photographs. These were technically some test rolls of Superia 400, one shot at 200, one 400 and one 800. I love the looks of them all, the ones shot at 800 have definitely gone a little strong in the colours but I quite like it (something I'm surprised at) and that extra stop made the shots possible as the light was fading fast! Sorry this is a pic heavy post, I got 5 rolls total back in one go :LOL:

These are some shot at ISO200 first and I think these may be my favourites so the other thread about overexposing cheaper film may have some wisdom to it!

Flowers in the Rain by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Flowers under shelter by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Lapping waves by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Blackpool Ferris Wheel by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Blackpool Tower by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Coral Island by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Some nice results there!
The one that personally appeals are the two horses.......to have a b&w mix works very well, not unlike bride and groom.

Thank you for the kind words! Yes those two are great, I pass them quite a lot one way or another and they’re always together; never further than 10-15 feet away from each other and they’re both super friendly, which was lucky as they walked right up to me and I was shooting with a 38mm lens so couldn’t zoom in to them :LOL:

Continuing experimenting with my 'Home-Made FX-4 Formula' ( as invented by the Late Great Geoffrey Crawley of 'Acutol' fame) I tried it diluted 1+3 with a batch of 01/1991 dated Agfapan 25 found in my fridge. I had done a short test guessing 13 mins but negs were too contrasty so I cut the time , rating film at 20ASA and got great negs with sharp details. Camera was my Minolta SR-T100X with 2 different lenses.
55mm Minolta MC Rokkor -PF 1/125@f2.8
Agfapan 25 test 03.jpg

Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm f3.5
Agfapan 25 test 01.jpgAgfapan 25 test 02.jpg

Last edited:
Rollei B35 and Pan F

Cafe bookshop
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Kevin, I really like your photos in general, but this one... not so sure. I like the clean lines and the contrast (plus the b/w inversion on the right hand set of triple verticals as they come into the light). But overall I'm finding the composition more confusing than compelling; unbalanced? I know we don't usually do any crit on here, so I hope you don't mind. The black framing line works very well, BTW.

Kevin, I really like your photos in general, but this one... not so sure. I like the clean lines and the contrast (plus the b/w inversion on the right hand set of triple verticals as they come into the light). But overall I'm finding the composition more confusing than compelling; unbalanced? I know we don't usually do any crit on here, so I hope you don't mind. The black framing line works very well, BTW.

I wish there would be more crit on here (or that people would use the "Photos from film" sub-forum more). There's plenty of interesting, useful, and light-hearted discourse on cameras and other equipment stuff here, but often very little on the actual photographs, I feel.

I wish there would be more crit on here (or that people would use the "Photos from film" sub-forum more). There's plenty of interesting, useful, and light-hearted discourse on cameras and other equipment stuff here, but often very little on the actual photographs, I feel.

cos we are too polite o_O ...very difficult to criticise as if e.g. a newbie posted a shot and it's not very good, do we say it's crap and put him off film or would he welcome it and try harder...h'mm

I accept those who want c&c and the photos from film holds that opportunity.
This thread is purely to share filmproduced images and s such I enjoy posting my results in here occasionally.
Should it become a more c&c based thread then I for one will refrain from sharing.
I don’t do c&c outside of a minimal comment of nice light, very well composed or similar

I accept those who want c&c and the photos from film holds that opportunity.
This thread is purely to share filmproduced images and s such I enjoy posting my results in here occasionally.
Should it become a more c&c based thread then I for one will refrain from sharing.
I don’t do c&c outside of a minimal comment of nice light, very well composed or similar

That's a fair enough point. I just wish people would frequent "From film" more. As it stands, it feels like anything you put in there sits around gathering dust.

I might start posting all my stuff in there instead of "Show Us Yer Film Shots" to see if it gains any traction.

cos we are too polite o_O ...very difficult to criticise as if e.g. a newbie posted a shot and it's not very good, do we say it's crap and put him off film or would he welcome it and try harder...h'mm

The word, 'crit' doesn't have to mean to criticise, but to critique which are very different things IMO. This whole forum in general has gone massively downhill over the years with regards to C&C (comments and criticism) and many threads only get a couple of comments.

That's a fair enough point. I just wish people would frequent "From film" more. As it stands, it feels like anything you put in there sits around gathering dust.

I might start posting all my stuff in there instead of "Show Us Yer Film Shots" to see if it gains any traction.

I always felt it was funny that there was a specific section as surely, if C&C is wanted it would go in the specific forums for the genre of photograph? Landscapes, people & portraits, etc. The image should be critiqued on it's merits regardless of the medium it was shot on. Unfortunately, a lot of people have the opinion that film is largely inferior and often it means lo-fi results compared to digital photography.

The "from film" section is a long way down, and I don't scan that far! I'll set it on "Watch", but be warned that (based on previous experience) I won't offer any critique unless the header asks for it (been burned that way) and may even not do so depending on the person (I really, really upset someone on another forum who begged for critique and then threw a fit when I didn't praise his photos).

To do it well takes time; and unless I'm certain it would be appreciated I'm afraid I regard it as a waste of my time to post critique. Actually thinking about the image, and what I would have said is a different matter. I can gain a lot that way.

OK -- I will upload some of my last 'Experiments' with 'Story' into that section ---

Tbh Pete Îm unsure if your comment is of a manner in which you genuinely feel that you will benefit from your postings on here in so far as responses or wether it was an immediate reaction to my comments about this particular thread not turning into a full blown c&c
Perhaps if I simply don’t post results, it will leave all options open for you guys to fit in without my input either photographically or in preferences as to how we share our work!

The word, 'crit' doesn't have to mean to criticise, but to critique which are very different things IMO. This whole forum in general has gone massively downhill over the years with regards to C&C (comments and criticism) and many threads only get a couple of comments.

Yep, critique is good. Constructive criticism is a good thing too IMO.

But as well as that, it's just sometimes nice when someone takes the time to say something about a photo rather than just clicking the like button, even if it's just a quick sentence like "This is nice, you really nailed the moment." or "It's a lovely scene, but I think it would look better in different light / weather" or something.

I'm going to try and make more of an effort to do this myself too.

I always felt it was funny that there was a specific section as surely, if C&C is wanted it would go in the specific forums for the genre of photograph? Landscapes, people & portraits, etc. The image should be critiqued on it's merits regardless of the medium it was shot on. Unfortunately, a lot of people have the opinion that film is largely inferior and often it means lo-fi results compared to digital photography.

I agree to an extent (and I'll post film photos to the other forums sometimes if they're a fit), but it's nice to have a dedicated film area too as, for people with an interest in the results people are achieving with film, you can visit that area knowing that all the photos will have been shot on that medium. Obviously this only works if people are using it though, otherwise it becomes a bit of a dusty, little-visite archive. :)

My 'Experiments' posts are not for 'Criticism' really -- just out of interest for Fellow Film Users !

Tried that a few times, beyond the obvious "have you got the colour version", I got into a disagreement over whether part of the image was under exposed or deliberately dark. Ended up just bickering about terminology.

And dare I say it, most people regard critique as purely technical (anything else is "purely subjective") and if they haven't got the exif data (which is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for any critique, as photos can't stand as images, only as technical accomplishments) then they can't help you...

Rant over.

And dare I say it, most people regard critique as purely technical (anything else is "purely subjective") and if they haven't got the exif data (which is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for any critique, as photos can't stand as images, only as technical accomplishments) then they can't help you...

Rant over.

The flip side of this is unless I offer some insight as to what I was trying to achieve with the photograph its difficult to offer anything meaningful in crit. Which I think is where this thread is great, you can just toss a photo up with out having to think why did I actually take that photo.

Last edited:

Chris, thanks for your comments. I'm quite happy to hear constructive criticism, although it was only a quick snap as I was sitting down to a coffee. I was pleased that I was able to get agood exposure shooting at ISO50 indoors.

I will try to post more shots in the "Photos from" section.

Holga 120N
Kodak Tri-X (expired and from a bad batch that shows the backing paper text on the negatives).

FILM - South
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Ah! I also had the same problem with the Tri-X I sent off after my recent holiday in Northumbria. One film demonstrated the same effect. I though it was because the film wa a bit ancient, actually very ancient. None of the other rolls showed the print-through effect.

On the subject of critique, I enjoy this forum because, unlike some I see, it's a collection of pictures taken on film which people want to share. No nit picking about technique but just some honest photographs. For sure, few pictures are are technically perfect, whatever that implies, but so what? I like to see what everyone is doing and there is a kind of cameradie and shared experience lurking here.

#

Finally got round to developing some rolls I shot last year and 2016. Now I know it works, I can stick the T4 on eBay.

Realised I don't like HP5, and like TMAX a lot.

HP5+, Yashica T4, Barry Island framed, last year.

img026.jpg

TMAX100, Yashica T4. Corfe Castle, 2016

img049.jpg

I just got 16 colour rolls of 35mm back from my Vietnam trip with 2 x B&W due this evening.

Spending some time going through them and hitting the delete key a lot. Not sure any of them will appear here unfortunately.

I just got 16 colour rolls of 35mm back from my Vietnam trip with 2 x B&W due this evening.

Spending some time going through them and hitting the delete key a lot. Not sure any of them will appear here unfortunately.
Ouch! Maybe step back and leave it to another day before deleting any of them?

Last edited:
Back