Show us yer film shots then!

Have a play with it Peter and post up a result....I'm interested to see what other folk can get from it.

I'm on my way out, this time with a 4x5 outfit, so will look forward to seeing your masterpiece posted upon my return!:LOL:
Saved into PS, Image > Mode > change to Duotone and be presented with a big list of options, some or none of which might appeal to you! :p

#1 CMYK Warm

Sans-titre-duotone-cmyk-warm.jpg

#2 Sepia 2 version

Sans-titre-1-duotone-sepia-2.jpg

Saved into PS, Image > Mode > change to Duotone and be presented with a big list of options, some or none of which might appeal to you! :p

#1 CMYK Warm

View attachment 264784

#2 Sepia 2 version

View attachment 264785
Personally I like the second iteration (sepia 2) as it seems to bring the foreground out without being too contrasty or losing the mood.

H'mm adding more contrast to the foreground looks better to me, but to be honest it's just a misty shot with nothing to focus your eye on e.g. boat in the river...maybe a shot like that would look better with sun on the hills or whatever to give a 3d affect?

#1 CMYK Warm

View attachment 264784

#2 Sepia 2 version

View attachment 264785

Thanks for taking the time to post up a couple of edits Peter.
I'd choose the first warm tone if I was to add any tone at all....I personally prefer the scene in its original monochrome style ( sorry!)
The sepia, is for me too strong although it could of course be toned ( punn intended! lol) down.

@Peter B You've got me playing with filters in PS now lol
A slight ( 15%) blue tone gives quite an interesting feeling to the image too, particularly as it was VERY cold there!

Sans titre-1 Retouched small file cold filter.jpg

Last edited:
nothing to focus your eye on e.g. boat in the river.
I tried to bribe a local duck into posing for me but he flew off, informing me that I was quackers to hang around in the freezing cold :LOL:

It was very much a grab shot ( if there can be such a thing with 10x8:thinking:) and was taken for the atmosphere of the scene ( which is what captured the tog in me) as against any specific subject.

Last edited:
Have you tried flipping it?.

I flipped the other three attempts ...into the bin! :(

I know what you mean and yes I've viewed it in every orientation ....without doubt, how it appears in real life suits the image best.
It is growing on me ( sorry punn not intended, honest :whistle:)

I think because it took so much effort to get the result, I'm still kinda not at grips with it atm and perhaps feel that it offers me more of a "Wow" factor.

I reckon if I put it to one side for a couple of months then return to it, I'll be tempted to print it out.;)

I flipped the other three attempts ...into the bin! :(

I know what you mean and yes I've viewed it in every orientation ....without doubt, how it appears in real life suits the image best.
It is growing on me ( sorry punn not intended, honest :whistle:)

I think because it took so much effort to get the result, I'm still kinda not at grips with it atm and perhaps feel that it offers me more of a "Wow" factor.

I reckon if I put it to one side for a couple of months then return to it, I'll be tempted to print it out.;)

Sometimes...some images like these work best as a set...although, being 10x8 that might not be an affordable option. Printing it out anyway is probably your best bet...may look better larger and not viewed on a screen.

Sometimes...some images like these work best as a set...although, being 10x8 that might not be an affordable option.

A set of 3 from 3 negs then that's doable but a set of 3 from a dozen attempts ( regardless of format), does little but line the pockets of film manufacturers!:LOL:
Printing it out anyway is probably your best bet...may look better larger and not viewed on a screen.

That is so true of many images!(y)

A set of 3 from 3 negs then that's doable but a set of 3 from a dozen attempts ( regardless of format), does little but line the pockets of film manufacturers!:LOL:
(y)
Well.... you could try taking a phone pic first...that way if it does nothing for you then move on and take a shot of something else :LOL:

WHAT!?!!?!!

:runaway::police::runaway::police::runaway::police::runaway::police::runaway::police::runaway::police::runaway:

:film::film::film::film:

BANNED! for life :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Lol.... sometimes when I don't want to waste film but see a scene I 'think' will look good...I find taking a quick snap can make or break my mind...
Just trying to offer suggestions :LOL:

ethereal softness

Brilliant!
I can now keep, print and share the original stating how it excells in its category of photography due it its "ethereal category".

Now how the 'ell do you say "ethereal" in french!?:LOL::LOL:

I tried to bribe a local duck into posing for me but he flew off, informing me that I was quackers to hang around in the freezing cold :LOL:

It was very much a grab shot ( if there can be such a thing with 10x8:thinking:) and was taken for the atmosphere of the scene ( which is what captured the tog in me) as against any specific subject.

IMO it's one of those shots that we have all taken at times that would be vastly improved in a very large print so you can look at everything in the scene.

IMO it's one of those shots that we have all taken at times that would be vastly improved in a very large print so you can look at everything in the scene.

Printed it out A3 ( minus a reasonable sized border)
Viewed in natural light ( best way to view any photograph imo) and from a "non pixel peeping" distance, I quite like it ….and that is all that matters tbh.;)

IMG_0993.jpg

That looks really nice Asha.

That looks really nice Asha.
Thanks Ian(y)

I suspect I'll have to do a second print as a little gift for mum as she will love that!

I print my photos and view them occasionally for my own pleasure but rarely share ( other than on here)

Those that I duplicate and send to mum get framed and displayed by her…........Her home is "littered" with my work!:p

If I ever do an exhibition, the location will be Mums abode , Douglas, Isle of man! :LOL:

'victoire chauve' is a literal translation however there would be no need to translate a personal name.

Would it be called Baldwin in France?
'victoire chauve' is a literal translation however there would be no need to translate a personal name.
Yeah the literal translation is unlikely to be how the French would pronounce it but as Andy says, the name / manufacturer of Baldwin would remain the same regardless of country.

It could well have ended up there during the "last" war...

Most probably

I believe it's called 'pelle' over there. ;)

Quite correct young man(y) ....10/ 10 for your recent French transations .....Carry on like this and you'll receive a Gold Star for this month!:LOL:

Another 10x8.

I would probably have taken this on 4x5 but as it was the first time in 5 years of living here in Sospel that I've ever seen the shutter doors open, I wasn't going to chance a return to find them closed again.

Perhaps someone has taken it on to refurbish…...If so, it'll never look the same again and very unlikely to appeal (to me) as a photograph.

In fact this past week I've come to realise that quite a few images that I've taken locally have dissapeared…..for example The old maternity hospital has been felled and the "cardboard" window that i only posted a short time ago has now been boarded over with wood.

Behind shutter doors Sospel 2020 TP.jpg

Ok so it’s a wet print ( very much so in this pic lol) but it’s a film shot!
Other than photographing or scanning the prints there’s no other way to share.
Anyway this was taken in Sussex earlier this year using a Canham DLC 45.
T’was another very awkward composure to achieve but well worth it I think.
What do you guys reckon?
I’ve yet to scan the negative and possibly inkjet print but tbh I doubt that I’ll get a better result.

View attachment 264186

Following on from this wet print, I've scanned the neg and as yet still undecided wether to inkjet print the result.

It's ready barring some additional dust spotting.

I'm finding that the larger negs are showing a massive increase in dust on the scans than the 4x5 negs.

I scan both formats at 2400 ppi, the 10x8 negs gives a resolution close to 9000 x 11000 and a file size nigh on 900 Mb

I can only presume it is the increased resolutio that shows up much more dust particles unless it's due to having to place the neg directly on the scanner glass ( V700) as against held in a neg holder.

De var spiral staircase Sussex 2019  TP.jpg

Shouldn't dust show up less on 10x8 negatives, as the dust particles are much smaller relative to the film size (cf grain)?

The length of time it takes to set up a LF camera to take a shot it's a wonder it's not cobwebs on there as well as dust! ;) :exit:

Shouldn't dust show up less on 10x8 negatives, as the dust particles are much smaller relative to the film size (cf grain)?

Dunno Chris tbh.
Very frustrating not least of all as I don’t like pp on a computer at the best of time. Thank goodness for wet printing although I haven’t got enlarging equipment for the 10x8 negs.....Yet!

The length of time it takes to set up a LF camera to take a shot it's a wonder it's not cobwebs on there as well as dust! ;) :exit:

Cobwebs?
They’re on the tog [emoji23]
Two speeds Stop and reverse!
I appear to be in the latter more and more recently:-0

Back