Show us yer film shots then!

Now that's a cloud inversion. Fog over Loch Tummel, New Year's Eve 2019
Wista 45, Nikkor 180mm f5.6 on Ektar 100

Tummel 1 by Andy, on Flickr

What is it that people don't like about the grain in Delta 400,

IMO clearly visible grain can actually benefit a photograph depending on the subject matter.

For example the image that you relate to of "The Anvil" is a rock / boulder and is as such naturally grainy in texture.
The sky being misty / foggy also benefits ( in this instance) from having some grain.

Let's not kid ourselves...ALL film photos have grain, it's just how prominent it is in the actual image that concerns us.

IMO clearly visible grain can actually benefit a photograph depending on the subject matter.

For example the image that you relate to of "The Anvil" is a rock / boulder and is as such naturally grainy in texture.
The sky being misty / foggy also benefits ( in this instance) from having some grain.

Let's not kid ourselves...ALL film photos have grain, it's just how prominent it is in the actual image that concerns us.

You misunderstand my question, it is not the grain per se, but the nature of the grain that I refer to. I believe Delta 400 has something called t-grain?

I understand that this constitutes marmite, loved by some, hated by others. I see a perfectly pleasant, nicely controlled film grain.

PS I am fond of grain. If you were to look at my website and my odd contributions to this forum, you will see that even my digital photos, mysteriously, possess grain.

Last edited:
The photo of the Anvil Stone has relatively well controlled grain. Another shot I took shortly before shows much more grain in the shadows - probably as a result of the stone being backlit more in this one, and possibly because the exposure is a little off (as much as I love my OM-1, the metering isn't always perfect - especially in scenes with wide dynamic ranges). My scanning and post-processing may also increase the noise too.

FILM - Jawas
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
You misunderstand my question, it is not the grain per se, but the nature of the grain that I refer to. I believe Delta 400 has something called t-grain?

I understand that this constitutes marmite, loved by some, hated by others. I see a perfectly pleasant, nicely controlled film grain.

PS I am fond of grain. If you were to look at my website and my odd contributions to this forum, you will see that even my digital photos, mysteriously, possess grain.

I'm not sure its the modern T grain that people don't like, I think its people prefer older style emulsions. T-Max has the same problem vs Tri-x. I'd wager a lot of people who express that opinion wouldn't really be able to tell unless they were told.

I'm not sure its the modern T grain that people don't like, I think its people prefer older style emulsions. T-Max has the same problem vs Tri-x. I'd wager a lot of people who express that opinion wouldn't really be able to tell unless they were told.
I much prefer Tri-X over Tmax 400... even though your last sentence is probably true of me, too!

This one's slightly on the muddy side (not sure that the Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 is at it's best at full telephoto), but I like the light in the scene. I spent quite a while hoping for a pool of illumination on Chatsworth House, but it never arrived.

Olympus OM-1
Zuiko 75-150mm f/4
Ilford Delta 400

FILM - Chatsworth
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Are near 40 year old pics allowed in this thread? Think this was 1981 or 1982. For some reason I never printed it at the time. Found it while having a nostalgia trip through my contact sheets last year. Which made me wonder if my photography has actually got worse with time!

Hmmm I dunno tbh.
I tend to avoid competitions especially long lasting ones as I risk not completing all the months.
Thanks for considering the shot worthy of an entry though
I think you should enter anyway Asha, you’re constantly producing interesting and unique photos so why not share them in FPOTY, don’t get pressured just enter when you have a shot that fits.

I really feel like I am enveloped by the trees in this image - a great 3D feel

I was impressed by the scene when I came across it, the twisted oaks and tumbled boulders go down a very steep hillside. I only took this single shot of them, but I’ve bookmarked the place as somewhere to go back to. It’s right beside Wellington’s Monument that I shared a couple of photos of yesterday.

Back