Show us yer film shots then!

Another 10x8.

I would probably have taken this on 4x5 but as it was the first time in 5 years of living here in Sospel that I've ever seen the shutter doors open, I wasn't going to chance a return to find them closed again.

Perhaps someone has taken it on to refurbish…...If so, it'll never look the same again and very unlikely to appeal (to me) as a photograph.

In fact this past week I've come to realise that quite a few images that I've taken locally have dissapeared…..for example The old maternity hospital has been felled and the "cardboard" window that i only posted a short time ago has now been boarded over with wood.

View attachment 265189
The January theme for FPOTY is "Opening", so why not enter this one Asha?

Why bother when you could buy a vintage Coronet Twelve 20, or something like that, for half the price? I can never understand why people buy a new chunk of plastic when vintage box cameras are still sitting there gathering dust in most 'antiques' centres and junk shops, just waiting to be bought and enjoyed again?
Here's a photo from around 1979 taken with a Twelve 20 on Kodak Ektachrome slide film... with all the camera shake, vignette softness and light leaks you could wish for. Expect to pay around £10 to £15 (or less) for one these days... or perhaps £1 from a car boot sale at closing time? :)

I do have a Coronet Twelve 20, for which I paid £1, and a Holga 120N, for which I paid £25. Although they are both Lo-Fi, they produce a different look; it may also be true that two different Holgas of the same model may produce different looks !

I do have a Coronet Twelve 20, for which I paid £1, and a Holga 120N, for which I paid £25. Although they are both Lo-Fi, they produce a different look; it may also be true that two different Holgas of the same model may produce different looks !
I don't think I've had exactly the same look from my Twelve 20 once, let alone twice! :giggle:

Last edited:
The January theme for FPOTY is "Opening", so why not enter this one Asha?

Hmmm I dunno tbh.
I tend to avoid competitions especially long lasting ones as I risk not completing all the months.
Thanks for considering the shot worthy of an entry though

Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/16
Ilford HP5+

I'm most likely wrong Nige but is that Sheffield ? It looks very much like the view I have seen hundreds of times Whilst on the M1 going North where the Cooling towers used to be !

Last edited:
I'm most likely wrong Nige but is that Sheffield ? It look very much like the view I have seen hundreds of times Whilst on the M1 going North where the Cooling towers used to be !

Spot on. It's immediately north of the Tinsley Viaduct (which the cooling towers used to stand beside). You can see the M1 on the right of the photo.

Not had much time to get out with a camera(as my son is on an 'eat every two hours' re-feeding plan so it doesn't leave much time to do a lot!).
I did manage one trip on to Dartmoor with one of my dogs... the other one is a sheep chaser so he stayed at home. They are brothers and are Golden Retriever crosses.
Nikon F100- Delta 400

1578665522020.png

1578665559154.png

Not had much time to get out with a camera(as my son is on an 'eat every two hours' re-feeding plan so it doesn't leave much time to do a lot!).
I did manage one trip on to Dartmoor with one of my dogs... the other one is a sheep chaser so he stayed at home. They are brothers and are Golden Retriever crosses.
Nikon F100- Delta 400

View attachment 265387

View attachment 265388

Good to see you're getting out with some film Lee.(y)

You just need to up the film dimensions a little to something like 4x5 inches! ;)

Good to see you're getting out with some film Lee.(y)

You just need to up the film dimensions a little to something like 4x5 inches! ;)
Funny you say that Asha... I have here a Malefic 4x5 3D printed 'snapshot' type camera (similar to @stevelmx5 6x7 snapshot camera). So...you never know, I might get the time to take it out and get some 'snaps' . Just need to upgrade my scanner at some point.

Thanks to the kind generousity of Lee @Solo man I am the proud owner of a Holga which arrived at lunchtime today. Lee even included some expired film AND the sun was shining (well as much as it ever does in Westmorland :) ) so I just had to sneak out for an hour and try it out. Need to get my eye in, and digging that barrel distortion..

Image1.jpgImage9.jpg
Image11.jpg

Since it's got a flash and someone talked me into going to the photogrpahy show, I've just got to take it along :LOL:

I can't thank @Solo man enough for this (y):ty:

ETA - ilford Delta 400 (expired 2010) in XTOL, 9 mins

Last edited:
Just run a test roll of Konica 750 IR with a red filter through my R3M.

All signs indicate that the eBay seller has genuinely stored this in a freezer since 1999 as it's very nice. I've over done the exposure (shot it at ISO 25) and will probably pull the dev a bit with the next roll to try and rein in the highlights a bit.

2020-01-08-konica750-r3m-22.jpg

Just run a test roll of Konica 750 IR with a red filter through my R3M.

All signs indicate that the eBay seller has genuinely stored this in a freezer since 1999 as it's very nice. I've over done the exposure (shot it at ISO 25) and will probably pull the dev a bit with the next roll to try and rein in the highlights a bit.

View attachment 265437
What are you developing it in Ian? I've got a few rolls of 120 that I bought years ago on eBay and I've stored them in the fridge. I shot one last autumn with an R72 filter and developed it semi-stand in Rodinal, and quite liked the results.

Last edited:
Thanks to the kind generousity of Lee @Solo man I am the proud owner of a Holga which arrived at lunchtime today. Lee even included some expired film AND the sun was shining (well as much as it ever does in Westmorland :) ) so I just had to sneak out for an hour and try it out. Need to get my eye in, and digging that barrel distortion..

View attachment 265434View attachment 265435
View attachment 265436

Since it's got a flash and someone talked me into going to the photogrpahy show, I've just got to take it along :LOL:

Pleased to see both the camera and the film worked Chris.... hope you enjoy using it. (y)

What are you developing it in Ian?

This year I'm trying out HC-110 after spending last year entirely with Rodinal. I want to see if there's a significant difference. So this was in HC-110 (B) for 7 minutes which seems to be an obsolete MDC time but is accurate. My exposures aren't quite right and I'm still mulling over the contact sheet trying to figure out what the issue is. The additionaly problem is that the daylight here is just crap at the moment and changes on a whim. Went from sunny 16 today to sunny 4 in about ten minutes. And IR film reacts very differently to direct sunlight vs cloudy murky "no light" that can characterise depressing January.

View attachment 265434View attachment 265435
View attachment 265436

Chris, is the third shot the road to the Leighton Moss hides on the coast, Eric Morecambe etc.?

Last edited:
So I did a bit of an experiment recently using Leica M2 and MP with Tri X and Portra 400. I wanted to see if I could have a film that I could keep in 1 camera and have the ability to use it for all shots and have colour for some subjects and B&W for others on the same roll. I shot the 2 cameras side by side with Tri X and Portra 400 using the metered settings form the MP (Portra) and the M2 (Tri X) for a variety of subjects with the same FL lenses for each shots and converted a couple to B&W in Lightroom to compare results.

Tri X

Street Test Tri X-1 PS Adj.jpg

Portra 400 converted in LR

Street Test-1 PS Adj.jpg

Of course back in the pre-digital days such things were almost impossible and certainly a converted from colour would be no way as goo as a straight B&W but in today's technology I can load Portra and shoot with 1 camera to get better (IMO) B&W images and still have colour options plus save the cost of the extra film.

Next is to try it in my Bronica SQ-Ai just swapping backs, I have a suspicion that some of the difference is down to the newer lenses used on the MP versus the older lenses on the M2.

So I did a bit of an experiment recently using Leica M2 and MP with Tri X and Portra 400. I wanted to see if I could have a film that I could keep in 1 camera and have the ability to use it for all shots and have colour for some subjects and B&W for others on the same roll. I shot the 2 cameras side by side with Tri X and Portra 400 using the metered settings form the MP (Portra) and the M2 (Tri X) for a variety of subjects with the same FL lenses for each shots and converted a couple to B&W in Lightroom to compare results.

Tri X

View attachment 265465

Portra 400 converted in LR

View attachment 265466

Of course back in the pre-digital days such things were almost impossible and certainly a converted from colour would be no way as goo as a straight B&W but in today's technology I can load Portra and shoot with 1 camera to get better (IMO) B&W images and still have colour options plus save the cost of the extra film.

Next is to try it in my Bronica SQ-Ai just swapping backs, I have a suspicion that some of the difference is down to the newer lenses used on the MP versus the older lenses on the M2.

That's a nice comparison, and makes sense if you're mostly looking for colour photos with a few B&W mixed in and only planning to print digitally.

Regarding image quality: I think it would have been fairer to compare something like Delta 400 with the Portra because it's a modern emulsion with a much finer grain structure than Tri-X. Also, the contrast of the Portra image above seems to be higher, which makes it 'pop' more on the page. The lighter tones seem to be brighter on the Portra (look at the building in the middle)...or maybe it's my old eyes playing tricks?

That's a nice comparison, and makes sense if you're mostly looking for colour photos with a few B&W mixed in and only planning to print digitally.

Regarding image quality: I think it would have been fairer to compare something like Delta 400 with the Portra because it's a modern emulsion with a much finer grain structure than Tri-X. Also, the contrast of the Portra image above seems to be higher, which makes it 'pop' more on the page. The lighter tones seem to be brighter on the Portra (look at the building in the middle)...or maybe it's my old eyes playing tricks?

I agree with you on all you've said.

I was looking at a comparison with what I already have in terms of film, I am only recently getting back into film after a 15+ year hiatus and my memory of the long days in the darkroom are not fond ones anymore so I will not be building another darkroom to go fully analogue. I also think regarding IQ the lenses will have had an impact since I used Summicrons for the MP (Portra) and much earlier Summarits for the M2 (Tri X) I intend to do comparison shots with those lenses with my M9 digital to see what the IQ difference is.

I was looking at a comparison with what I already have in terms of film, I am only recently getting back into film after a 15+ year hiatus and my memory of the long days in the darkroom are not fond ones anymore so I will not be building another darkroom to go fully analogue.
One of the speakers at the Ffordes end of season night was Stephen Cosh, who shoots both film and digital and uses a Leica M digi something. I asked him how he converted his digi shots to mono and he swears by Nik Efex as the best tool for the job. Maybe something to think about if you're getting your Portra shots as scans?

One of the speakers at the Ffordes end of season night was Stephen Cosh, who shoots both film and digital and uses a Leica M digi something. I asked him how he converted his digi shots to mono and he swears by Nik Efex as the best tool for the job. Maybe something to think about if you're getting your Portra shots as scans?

Agreed. Silver Efex Pro is superb. One of the few pieces of digital photo software I actually enjoyed using.

Google decided to give it away for a while, but I see it's now being sold by DXO: https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

Thanks, I did try Nik Efex back along when it was free but I couldn't get on with it. Loads swear by it though and I'm not saying it isn't good just I couldn't gel with it.

Chris, is the third shot the road to the Leighton Moss hides on the coast, Eric Morecambe etc.?
It certainly is I'm always drawn to that area but never seem to come back with the results I had hoped for. I'm not sure what went on at the right hand side though, looks like I stuffed up winding it on

Back