Show us yer film shots then!

I don't suppose its unusual that buildings constructed in the same era tend to look quite similar, but still, that looks like a tower block in my town.

View attachment 276939

Bronica EC, 3 sisters on velvia

My photo was taken in Wakefield when I visited The Hepworth back in March. You're right though, the design looks identical, although the blocks in Wakefield are in different layout.

WoW !! That Praktica photo looks 'Medium Format Sharp ' !

WoW !! That Praktica photo looks 'Medium Format Sharp ' !

A good lens, contrasty subject and sunshine shows Vista at it's best. Where you can't see the grain as in this night shot, Vista is quite a good film and worth £1 (early was 36 exp) when it was available at Poundland.
Flek and Vista, spotmatic but forgotten the exposure time.
vTcyNaG.jpg

Now you mention it, I'm wondering if that might explain the rather prominent grain? Has the digitally scanned image been over-sharpened?

Well you can't praise Vista too much as you would have to find a reason to why use a more expensive film o_O;)

I use a more expensive film to avoid a grain-storm each time I take a photo! ;) :giggle:

:ROFLMAO:

I have to say, I'm not a grain fan either.
I mean, it works in some circumstances but its not something I want as a default or accept as an unavoidable consequence.

Thanks for your Hepworth picture. A visit is on my to-do list now. The architecture is a bit brutal though, bit shocking.

Thanks for your Hepworth picture. A visit is on my to-do list now. The architecture is a bit brutal though, bit shocking.

It's definitely brutalist in design, but I really like it. It makes for an interesting photographic subject in its own right, especially if you get good light. One side of the building overlooks the River Calder and there's an upper gallery window that looks out onto a weir. When I was last there the river was in heavy flow and it was an impressive sight to see large volumes of water rushing and churning right below the vantage point.

I'm sure it will look nice once it's finished. ;)
Definitely needs a coat of Artex, like the Sisteen chapel ceiling, IMHO (never used that expression before and never again). There was a Guardian cartoon series by Steve Bell a while ago, possibly a long while ago, in which Michelangelo defended his decision not to Artex the Sisteen Chapel, might have been down to profit levels?

Definitely needs a coat of Artex, like the Sisteen chapel ceiling, IMHO (never used that expression before and never again). There was a Guardian cartoon series by Steve Bell a while ago, possibly a long while ago, in which Michelangelo defended his decision not to Artex the Sisteen Chapel, might have been down to profit levels?
I was thinking more a coat of Snowcem in a pastel shade. ;)

Well, its grown on me over the years.
I thought at first it had more than a little bit of an "unfinished" ambiance about it, it was a bit stark in the early days but the foliage around it has regrown and softened its impact somewhat.

IMAGE08s.jpg

IMAGE11s.jpg

Last edited:
Lockdown Still - life on our shiny black Kitchen Table ( DON'T TELL THE WIFE !! ) I used my 1968 bought Mamiya Press Super 23 with one of the last 02/2007 dated ILFORD XP2 400 Super and home-processed in 'well-used' C41 for 5 mins @ 100oF -- got good negs ! I set camera for the 'Scheimpflug Rule' using the back movement.
Still-Life 01.jpgStill-Life 09.jpg

I used my lovely 'Gift' Olympus OM-2 Spot Program with some better quality film ! My Boy was sent some 12 exp Polaroid 100 ( Actually KONICA ) years ago and never uses it n ow as he uses his Gadget for photos so I use it ! I found although outdated I c an still rate it at 100 ASA -- I processed in a new batch of C41 developer and scann with my CANON 9000F Mk II + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer ---- the 'Polaroid' film scanned with an almost PERFECT Colour Balance.
Wife's Stone FOX from inside Kitchen with TAMROM 500mm f8 Mirror Lens
OM-2 SP Polaroid 100 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Neighbour's Flowers from our Garden with TAMRON 500mm f8 Mirror Lens
OM-2 SP Polaroid 100 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
50mm f1.8 Zuiko MC Auto-S with Polariser at f5.6 -- very Old Buildings in Brentwood
OM-2 SP Polaroid 100 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
50mm f1.8 MC Zuiko at f4 with Polariser
OM-2 SP Polaroid 100 07 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
75-150mm f4 Zuiko Auto-Zoom with Polariser at f6.7
OM-2 SP Polaroid 100 08 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

i did use a TRIPOD but maybe YOUR Tamron 500mm had a 'Bang' and knocked the mirror ?

i did use a TRIPOD but maybe YOUR Tamron 500mm had a 'Bang' and knocked the mirror ?
Could be, as it was secondhand when I bought it. I might dig it out for the big moon tonight as I've one frame left on a film,and use a heavy tripod.

Could be, as it was secondhand when I bought it. I might dig it out for the big moon tonight as I've one frame left on a film,and use a heavy tripod.

Good luck Peter shooting the moon. My last shots taken last year are still in the camera (I'm using good lenses) and so far the shots are never as good as you see from other amateurs and am convinced just living outside London the air is not as clear as other parts of the country and have to use a slower shutter speed which doesn't help with a moving moon. :(
AAMOI I've seen VG shots from one guy and he told me the camera was at 100 ISO, 125/sec at f11 o_O erm that's near sunny 16 erm didn't Asha or someone suggest that.....

Good luck Peter shooting the moon. My last shots taken last year are still in the camera (I'm using good lenses) and so far the shots are never as good as you see from other amateurs and am convinced just living outside London the air is not as clear as other parts of the country and have to use a slower shutter speed which doesn't help with a moving moon. :(
AAMOI I've seen VG shots from one guy and he told me the camera was at 100 ISO, 125/sec at f11 o_O erm that's near sunny 16 erm didn't Asha or someone suggest that.....
Morning Brian. I'm afraid we had full cloud and light rain last night, so there was no moon to be seen and no photo to take. :(

I’m sure we’ve had this discussion before. :)

Sunny 16 should be fine. You’re photographing the surface of the moon lit by the sun.

I’m sure we’ve had this discussion before. :)

Sunny 16 should be fine. You’re photographing the surface of the moon lit by the sun.

Yes we did and I'll be boring you all soon with my latest shots using 300mm + 2Xs extender in a few weeks o_O...... in the thread about the moon erm where ever that is........:rolleyes:

Terrific series. There seems to be quite a lot of grain for a 100 ASA film, presumably 120 too? Nice grain though, and wonderful tonal balance.

Thanks Toby. Yeah, they do seem to be exhibiting a bit more grain that might be expected. Maybe it's been brought out by my post-processing, or maybe there's been some change in the devlopment process (older shots taken on the same film with the same camera, and PP'd the same, don't seem to exhibit as much).

Back