Show us yer film shots then!

Great subject and I really like the framing, I find the LHS twigs a bit distracting but a really strong image.

Thanks Chris. I’ve wondered about cloning them out (as well as the OOF twigs at the right, and even the modern turbine). It’d make for a nicer image, I think, but I’m not sure that I’m comfortable editing too much out - I’d prefer to try another take on location first.

Thanks Chris. I’ve wondered about cloning them out (as well as the OOF twigs at the right, and even the modern turbine). It’d make for a nicer image, I think, but I’m not sure that I’m comfortable editing too much out - I’d prefer to try another take on location first.
Yes and no... I think a better image if you could avoid the foreground distractions and separate the tree from the older pylon, but to me the pylon juxtaposition is what makes the image powerful. (It would be even better if more of the new pylon were visible, but I recognise that's likely impossible!)

It’s a slightly annoying place in that, while the old turbine makes a great photographic subject, the field is mostly enclosed by a high hedge. The only place to get a decent composition (that I’ve found) is where there’s a gap in the hedge at the top of a steep verge. There’s a fence here though which has barbed wire wrapped around it, so you can’t necessarily position the camera as you’d like (without getting the fence in shot or losing your balance and falling ar&e over t#t down the verge). I’m sure I’ll photograph it again at some point - maybe I’ll take a longer lens next time.

but I’m not sure that I’m comfortable editing too much out
As far as possible I try "edit" before I take the shot, tuck twigs and long grass out of the way or temporarily weigh them down if possible but it's not always an option. I guess this is where a drone comes in...

It’s a slightly annoying place in that, while the old turbine makes a great photographic subject, the field is mostly enclosed by a high hedge. The only place to get a decent composition (that I’ve found) is where there’s a gap in the hedge at the top of a steep verge. There’s a fence here though which has barbed wire wrapped around it, so you can’t necessarily position the camera as you’d like (without getting the fence in shot or losing your balance and falling ar&e over t#t down the verge). I’m sure I’ll photograph it again at some point - maybe I’ll take a longer lens next time.
Ever tried holding a TLR over head to gain extra height? Done it a few times myself, mind you focus and framing gets a little tricky and a fast shutter speed is essential.

Ever tried holding a TLR over head to gain extra height? Done it a few times myself, mind you focus and framing gets a little tricky and a fast shutter speed is essential.

I've not, although I guess it's similar to using a digital camera with a flippy-screen (albeit with the image reversed). Might need to practice before I risk it on a photo I want to be well composed though! :)

Camera on monopod with either long shutter cable release or use of self timer.

Lateral thinking. I like that.

Another possible option is suggested by an illustration in "Medium and Large Format Photography" where a 10x8 camera was shown being used on a very tall tripod and the photographer on steps. I think it was 8 or 9 feet up.

I'll apologise in advance for this post, my excuse being that this lockdown is getting to me rather badly.

I saw a program where Martin Parr was talking about his technique of throwing the camera in the air to record random (but presumably highly significant) events. It follows that a 250 exposure back combined with a motor drive and good cricket fielding skills is another alternative solution to the high hedge problem.

Or, perhaps to attach two cameras to the end of a long camera pole, one being digital to transmit the image back to the ground and the other a film camera with a pneumatic release.

I've had a camera with a waist level finder on its side on the tripod when it was too high to see into the finder, that makes framing interesting too :)

I've had a camera with a waist level finder on its side on the tripod when it was too high to see into the finder, that makes framing interesting too :)

I've done it hand held a few times, and let's say I've done easier things. On the other hand, and quite seriously, I found the lateral reversal a problem at first, but could soon pan with a waist level finder. Similarly, the upside down left to right ground glass on a view camera is strange at first, so I'd guess that with practice most of these things become easier.

I've got the most recent portrait orientation photo of a doorway in York taken with an ETRS with WLF as a scan, so I'll dig it out and post it.

Used by press photographers in the old days using Rolleis....I suppose getting any shot is better than none when in a crowd.

Door in York, taken handheld with a waist level finder on an ETRS. This is uncropped, to show that I almost got the framing correct. The door should have been vertical and without convergence...

000080380011r.jpg

Since I am posting ETRS, I might as well add a couple of my own home town, Wakefield, even though the places photographed here didn't exist when I lived in the area.

We were wandering around looking for somewhere to eat, as well as looking at the late night shopping. The girl was selling something or other to passers by (probably inducing a change of electricity supplier) and was curious about the camera. Cue an explanation, wonderment (on her part) and a request that I photograph her - even though she knew there would be no back of camera epiphany. This was Trinity Walk.

Wakefield Trinity.jpg

The older (but still new) shopping centre of the Ridings was the place for the next one, inside the Lower Kirkgate entrance. Not far probably from where Morton's, the "photographic chemist" was before the wholesale demolition.

Wakefield The Ridingsr.jpg

Unusual for me, as NOT black and white, and includes people. Plus handheld...

Last edited:
After 8 weeks of confinement and almost no motivation to expose any film ( I exposed all of two sheets of film!), the slow transition back to some sort of normality has begun here in France.

So of course we've experienced beautiful weather for weeks whilst unable to get out and about freely, with some fantastic skies and light .
Now of course, the rain and greyness has decided to return, :(
Never mind, it doesn't generally hang around for long ;)

So yesterday saw me take a stroll into the village and although spots of wet stuff were evident in the air, I thought I'd grab a quick scene with my recently acquired Black Intrepid Mk4 to share with you guys and girls and hopefully help to lift your spirits if you're feeling a bit fed up .

Yes it is a very difficult time for us all, some more than others but there will be an end to it at some point I'm sure.
Hang in there and look forward to when you can say hello to the countryside again and enjoy its company…....It will still be there when the time comes and you may even find it more beautiful than ever following natures ability to 'recuperate' for a while from our presence!

I appreciate this photo is far from one of my better efforts but i hope you can get some pleasure from viewing it.....

For the guys TP.jpg

After 8 weeks of confinement and almost no motivation to expose any film ( I exposed all of two sheets of film!), the slow transition back to some sort of normality has begun here in France.

So of course we've experienced beautiful weather for weeks whilst unable to get out and about freely, with some fantastic skies and light .
Now of course, the rain and greyness has decided to return, :(
Never mind, it doesn't generally hang around for long ;)

So yesterday saw me take a stroll into the village and although spots of wet stuff were evident in the air, I thought I'd grab a quick scene with my recently acquired Black Intrepid Mk4 to share with you guys and girls and hopefully help to lift your spirits if you're feeling a bit fed up .

Yes it is a very difficult time for us all, some more than others but there will be an end to it at some point I'm sure.
Hang in there and look forward to when you can say hello to the countryside again and enjoy its company…....It will still be there when the time comes and you may even find it more beautiful than ever following natures ability to 'recuperate' for a while from our presence!

I appreciate this photo is far from one of my better efforts but i hope you can get some pleasure from viewing it.....

View attachment 278984

Nice shot Asha but did you want it to be dark and gloomy..erm couldn't you brighten it up more for me o_O:D

I was sent a load of outdated FILM by a member of Pentax User Site -- loads were 35mm 'Truprint' and on testing it was mostly un-useable due to bad storage, especially the 200 ASA which developed very faint even the fogged bit at start compared with the 400 ASA and some 800 ASA Fuji Press 800 -- test strips all together in one tank. BUT there were some 120 films as well so I tested a Fuji Superia 100 dated 10/2012 and it not as good as a batch of MINE with earlier date BUT kept in FRIDGE for years. I show some results taken on my 1962 Rolleicord Vb with 16-on mask and rated 100 and home-processed in C41.
Rolleicord Vb + Fuji Superia 100 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Negs scanned with a huge 'Cyan' cast but I worked on them in FastStone Image Viewer to Colour Correct as I would doing RA4 Darkroom Prints.

Nice shot Asha but did you want it to be dark and gloomy..erm couldn't you brighten it up more for me o_O:D

Just no pleasing some folk [emoji23]
The thing is Bri, it was dark and gloomy.
7pm with a very cloudy grey sky.
I’ll let you manipulate it in photoshop if you want [emoji6]

Did no one tell you the camera can lie :D we're all depending on you here, we'll I am some of the southern contingent can now take unlimited exercise.
You could always carry your MF and LF kit on your twice daily walks now, just don't draw attention by carrying a tripod! :eek:

Did no one tell you the camera can lie :D we're all depending on you here, we'll I am some of the southern contingent can now take unlimited exercise.

I can't head to Wales or Scotland for some different scenery. The border guards on Offa's Dyke and Hadrian's Wall won't let us Seseneg or Sassenachs through. Apparently our neighbours north and west of the borders could sneak past and head for the Lake District if they wanted to. Strange times.

Last edited:
I can't head to Wales or Scotland for some different scenery. The border guards on Offa's Dyke and Hadrian's Wall won't let us Seseneg or Sassenachs through. Apparently our neighbours north and west of the borders could sneak past and head for the Lake District if they wanted to. Strange times.
Don't feel bad about the borders, as there are plenty of places in England who don't want visitors either, according to Cumbria Police, Visit Cornwall, Redcar Council, Rother Council, etc, etc! ;)

Aye but we'd have to get past the border guards first they're ordered to shoot on sight.

I can see why the Lakes are still closed, if you look at the spread of the disease they have the same strike rate per head as London, best to keep away for a while I think.

Personally, I think photographs should provoke an emotional response. Dark and gloomy fits my mood, and if it fits Asha's, why shouln't it be reflected in his photographs?
:lock:

Personally, I think photographs should provoke an emotional response. Dark and gloomy fits my mood, and if it fits Asha's, why shouln't it be reflected in his photographs?
:lock:

Well said that man ! ;)

I have another image (still life) that I’ll post up ( this evening if I’m still awake!) which is actually the first frame that I exposed with the new intrepid and only the second sheet of film exposed in the past two months.
Again it’s not a masterpiece, but I think it will bring a smile even to Brian’s clock [emoji23]

Killer Haggis DSC01484.jpg

Back