Show us yer film shots then!

I became a dad for the first time last week.

Zeiss Ikon Nettar, HP5+ (iso 400), Rodinal 1+50
20120123131903_scan-120119-0005.jpg

Forgot to say congrats! You will find yourself taking a hell of a lot more photos and having no time to process the films! ;)

Congratulations Brian and good work Jim (y)

Thanks Nick!

Took the Mamiya C330f to work with me today, as I was driving I noticed this scene so turned around and took a few shots. I really wish I had had the X10 with me though as the colours were sublime. Tri-X @ 400 ISO dev LC29

DevonViewmonosmall.jpg

Love those wintery big sky shots, nice one Ed.

Well I was photographing anything in the back garden checking a lens out when this little creature wanted its pic taken.....the funny thing was, it wasn't scared of me but jumped about 6" every time the shutter went.

erm a test shot of some erm weeds ;) and the mouse is just coming into view
Yash55mm11000px.jpg

This was the sixth shot:-
mouse1-1.jpg

Another from the roll from the Mamiya C330f:

Wet Rose, Wet Slate.

WetRoseWetSlateverysmall.jpg

Last edited:
From my first ever self developed roll of film taken back in June 2011. Scanned and resized, no PP (other than switching from negative to positive)

6-25-2011_023.jpg

Four from me. Catching up on some stuff I started ages ago and not got round to finishing yet. I have re-calibrated my monitors tonight to a brightness level of 90 cd/m2 instead of the 120 cd/m2 the stupid calibration program recommended. Hopefully, these won't be too dark now. The histograms show a nice evenish tone anyways. The idea was to get some print matching going on but that's another story :)

Sea Stack, St. Agnes by Itsallaboutlight, on Flickr

Bigbury on sea, after sunset by Itsallaboutlight, on Flickr

Towards St.Agnes Head by Itsallaboutlight, on Flickr

Study of Rocks & Seaweed by Itsallaboutlight, on Flickr

That makes me a little bit tumescent :)

Too much information :puke:

You are forgiven due to the excellence of your images.(y)

Andy

The first roll from the 35/1.2 + M4 combo got developed last night, Tri-X @ 400 in Rodinal 1+25:

scan1201270001.jpg

scan1201270002.jpg

scan1201270003.jpg

Those are all at f/1.2, the thing I like about this lens is that DOF isn't too much of an issue at medium distances compared to a 50, so you get a nice speed bump (shooting at 400 all day!) without sacrificing too much to gratuitous shallow DOF (for example I shot a few Chinese dancers in a dragon costume at 1.2 as well). However it is shallow enough that you can get subjects to pop out of the background in a similar way to shooting MF. :)

Last edited:
A couple from yesterday in and around Macclesfield Forest. Taken on a Yashica FX-2 with a Yashica DSB 50mm f1.9 on Fuji Superia 200 film. Not sure the film has done the set up justice but as it was a test run I didn't want to put anything expensive through it.
Its a lovely camera to use and everything works perfectly except the metering seems to air toward overexposure, although to be fair shooting in the snow was a bit of a tester.

Tree-Felling by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Working-Cocker1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

I'll put a few more in the critique section along with a couple I've fiddled about with in PS.

Cheers

Andy

Well the shots and lens look ok on my monitor, my DSB 55mm f2 is crap....Fuji superia 200 is very good and won't be the weak link.

That metering is fine considering it is snow - snow often fools smart digital meters, let alone an old SLR. First shot has a nice "Narnia" feel to it!

Thanks guys. I think you are right Brian the lens may well be the weak link. I shall look into getting something better as the camera is really nice to use. Maybe a Contax lens or something a bit upmarket.

Andy

Well, just picked up a nice looking Yashica ML 200M 35-105mm f3.8-4.8 for a tenner, hopefully it will work as well as it looks.

Andy

Thanks guys. I think you are right Brian the lens may well be the weak link. I shall look into getting something better as the camera is really nice to use. Maybe a Contax lens or something a bit upmarket.

Andy

Well Andy the ML lenses are considered to be better but more expensive..I've only the Yashica 135mm ML, and some consider it to be just ordinary but my copy is very good. I also have the 28mm DSB well it's ok if you get it for about £5 as once again if you can get the ML version it's superior......of course Contax lenses are the tops if you have the money ;)

Sneaky preview!

I really shouldn't do this as it's a fashion editorial shot for submission, but I haven't been around for a while due to various reasons, this being one of them, so I thought I'd at least share a sneaky preview from the series.

Shot on Pentax ME Super, Portra 160, 28mm 2.8. Scanned on V500 in vuescan

6831454083_a644256bbb_z.jpg

Epiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccc.

That shot looks amazing Danny - getting along with 35mm? :)

Thanks fella :) Yeah the little Pentax is a gem. It's the first time I've used it in anger, I put a roll through it before to check for light leaks but this is it's first actual application.

Lovely Danny, and they say 35mm film is dead for commercial work ;)

Pffffft. Depends what look you're going for, I wanted it to look like a film shot, and you know what, it does, and I didn't need to be retro cool and fake it in PS (y)

Epiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccc.

Woooohoooooooo. lol. Getting somewhere with this film mallarky now. I've gone from DSLR and bron flash equipment (£xxxx's!) to film and natural light (cheap as chips!) and I think my shots are getting better and better every time I shoot. Thanks for the comment lol

Love it Danny, great work!

Thanks alot Jim, I'm trying :)

I'm tempted to post more....must....resist.......dammit!

Pffffft. Depends what look you're going for, I wanted it to look like a film shot, and you know what, it does, and I didn't need to be retro cool and fake it in PS (y)
To be fair, Portra is a lovely emulsion too! What 28mm lens is that? And did you need to add any vignetting in post? Really do like the overall look of this.

To be fair, Portra is a lovely emulsion too! What 28mm lens is that? And did you need to add any vignetting in post? Really do like the overall look of this.

The one I had for sale before, the Chinanon or whatever it is, lol. Yes vignette was added in post, none detectable on the neg at all. In the same shoot I shot 1x 160 and 2x 400 portra on 120 through the RZ but haven't managed to get that devved yet. That really should be special :D

Great shot Danny, I need to organise a shoot myself (crap weather = lack of fashion assignments for my uni paper), I'm getting bored of doing street and PJ stuff haha.

Lovely as ever Danny, great to show that film still cuts it.

Mart

Thanks for the feedback and for explaining what OOF means..

With regards to the focus though, as far as I can see, the single stem on the right in the first shot is the point of focus, the lamppost probably isn't perfect but the 3rd shot the point of focus was the raindrops.

Cheers
Steve

Back