Show us yer film shots then!

Well all of my stuff turned up so I very nervously thought I had better have a go at developing my first film or two....

I have got to be honest they are not very good, but I was just pleased that something come out (lots to learn I think, still I love a challenge )

I found that they are quite grainy. But after a bit of research on the internet I found out that although ilford HP5 400 is a very good film and Rodinal is a very good developer, they dont work that well together and the same with the other film that I tried which was a delta 400..I am told that rodinal works better with slower films... so my next try will be with some neopan acros 100....

Anyway the below images are all developed in rodinal 1:25 @ 8 minutes and the one of the bridge was taken on my medium format camera with the HP5 400 and the other one was 35mm images taken with delta 400..

The subjects were taken just for test purpose... Thanks for looking , Steve.

7495031926_86ed0c3110_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

7495031936_0944630c06_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Have to say Steve that for a first try these look really good, hope mine come out this well when i try my first roll in a week or two.

Andy

Have to say Steve that for a first try these look really good, hope mine come out this well when i try my first roll in a week or two.

Andy

Thanks Andy, good luck with yours....

Here is another one from the same batch.

7495031910_f26fe06940_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Steve-B said:

[/URL][/IMG]

Steve. I love that little trumpet....great to see analogue subjects on film...

Steve. I love that little trumpet....great to see analogue subjects on film...

It's a lovely little triumph, I took the picture at a bike club rally that we put on every year..The guy who owns the triumph has loads of british bikes that he lovingly restores and usually ends up getting our club best bike trophy...

7495031910_f26fe06940_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Wow !! that reminds me right back to my bike rally days !
Riding across a ploughed field to pitch your tent .... LOL

Nice image :)

I posted these in the "photos from film" section, but it seems to be really slow in there.

I'd like some feedback so I hope it's ok to post them here as well.

Just getting into film. This is only my second roll, the first time I've attempted developing and my first time scanning the negatives.

Nikon f80 with Ilford HP5 plus.

Cheers.

Looking Back by simon ess, on Flickr

Barge by simon ess, on Flickr

Virgin by simon ess, on Flickr

Developing Storm by simon ess, on Flickr

yes, I saw that one on flickr. I like it better than the 1st. Love the light in it.
Looks better (to me) on a white background, than black (when I tried that in flickr)

I posted these in the "photos from film" section, but it seems to be really slow in there.

I'd like some feedback so I hope it's ok to post them here as well.

Just getting into film. This is only my second roll, the first time I've attempted developing and my first time scanning the negatives.

Nikon f80 with Ilford HP5 plus.

I thought someone who knows more might comment, but nothing so far, so here goes. I can make no comment on the developing as I've never done it, but there look to be a good range of densities in the negatives.

I do like number 1 (Looking back), but somehow the fact that he's looking back is easy to see once you read the title, but I didn't notice it before. I had a slight problem with the canal bank in the near foreground, somehow merging with the water.

No 2 seems to have nice lines that lead the eye around, but I didn't like the dark left vs bright right effect (it's quite strong!).

In no 3, naughty fellow are you right by the track? But is that train thundering by or sitting there at a signal?

The last one I really do like. Maybe you could pull some more out of the shadows on the right? Lots to lead the eye movement around the frame. But I didn't feel "Gathering storm" even after reading the title. Did you have a filter on? (I'm being REALLY unsuccessful with my clouds! It really annoys me to see those wonderful billowy textures, take the shot and get back barely differentiated shapes.)

Thanks very much Chris. I really appreciate you taking the time to look and offer valued constructive feedback. I've looked at them again with your comments in mind and pretty much agree with everything you say.

I really like no. 1 apart from that annoying loss of differentiation between the quayside and the water. Don't take any notice of the names BTW. I tend to give them the first name that springs to mind. Maybe I should give it more consideration.

No.2 is my favourite. I'm delighted with the tonal range I got. I hadn't appreciated though the image is off balance. Something dark on the far right would have corrected this I think.

Or maybe a crop like this?

Barge crop by simon ess, on Flickr

No, I'm not being naughty in no. 3 :D There's a pedestrian crossing across the track. But yes, I realised as soon as I scanned it it looks like it's standing still when it waqs indeed thundering past. I shall return to that one.

In no. 4, again, the name doesn't mean much but I see what you mean about pulling a bit more out of the shadows.

Oh, nearly forgot. Yes, I use a yellow filter.

Thanks agai Chris. Your comments have been very helpful (y)

Last edited:
A few from Jodrell Bank/Elbow gig weekend before last. The weather was pretty poor so I decide to mainly shoot people.

Smokin'

Smokin' by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Michael le Vell (who I believe is in Coronation Street)

Michael-Le-Vell by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Hair and Rain

Hair1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Beer

Beer by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Nap

A-Little-Nap by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Red

Red by andysnapper1, on Flickr

All taken with Nion F100 and Nikon 28-105mm lens. B&W was Ilford FP4, colour was Kodak Portra 800.

Cheers

Andy

No.2 is my favourite. I'm delighted with the tonal range I got. I hadn't appreciated though the image is off balance. Something dark on the far right would have corrected this I think.

Or maybe a crop like this?

Yes! That crop really works for me!

Couple more Velvia shots from the OM10

7514397000_cb039c9b15_b.jpg

7514395680_ea1c5fd2b8_b.jpg

Mel. Well done for getting out in the rain. Like the busker and the living statue shots.

Pentax ME, 50mm f/1.7 as close as possible, hand-held...

03470018.jpg

Hmmm, didn't realise that annoying scratch would show quite so much. :thumbsdown: But processor sent me a new film and dev/scanned it free... (y)

Any suggestions as to how I might have done this better?

I was being facesious, commenting on the sign in the middle of the frame.

I went out this morning despite the dull weather to play a bit more with the mamiya,

Below are a couple from my outing..developed in Rodinal and scanned on my V500.

Thanks for looking, Steve.

7529589046_71af211d01_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

7529588978_a11a2d1167_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I thought I'd try to find a few of my favourite shots from important cameras from my past. My first significant camera was a Werra 1 (21st birthday present in 1967), made by Carl Zeiss of Jena in East Germany (or DDR? as it was then). It had a 50mm f/2.8 Tessar lens, a cool film wind and shutter cocking mechanism on the lends barrel, along with the aperture setting and manual focus. No lightmeter or AF (later versions had meters and a rangefinder mechanism; some even had interchangeable lenses). I didn't own a lightmeter, and had to estimate all exposures, so there are plenty of horribly badly exposed images. I also shot a whole roll (and only roll) at the Acropolis with focus set to about 10 feet! :banghead: You can find out more about the Werra series at http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Werra.

I mostly shot black and white with this camera, like these first few from Mykonos in 1970, taken on Kodak Plus X. I liked this alley in the back streets (I think I even got a commended in a work photo competition!)...

CB70F19 Mykonos Back Lane edit by Chris R, on Flickr

Shapes and textures like this mooring ring have always appealed to me

CB70E34a.jpg

And I'm not expecting anyone else to like it, but there's something about this heavily cropped image that I really love:

CB70F02 - Version 2.jpg

I did eventually try out colour film, Kodacolor-X. It's pretty hard to scan (no presets available with SilverFast SE v6), but here's a couple I liked. First from Llanthony Abbey (or Priory?) in October 1970...

CN70A08.jpg

I'll close with one from my first ever skiing trip, I think at Obertauern in Austria, early 1971.

CN70C36A.jpg

After I went to Australia in August 1971 it's sometimes a bit hard to work out what was taken with which camera, as I bought a Spotmatic in Singapore on the way. More of that later, perhaps...

Last edited:
Chris. Loving your posts, keep them coming..

Enjoying the commentary with the shots.

What film was that on Mel?

Fuji Superia 200...

After my rant in the other thread about conversions - I had a look through some of my first shots with my F-301 and started converting. Superia 200 converted to BW looks fricking amazing. All i need to establish now is if dev'ing it in BW chemicals produces the same results. If so... I am winning.

Last edited:
Back