Show us yer film shots then!

I got given something called a Golden Half for my birthday last week. Thanks to the excellent weather this summer I had to load it with 800 speed Fuji film :razz: Also, the lady that devs my films didn't want to second guess me and left it uncut so it was a pain in the bloody hole to scan! Not her fault, she was doing me a favour and is a lovely lady :) Anyway, a few from the first roll I put through it:

daisy plane
by rednorters, on Flickr

love
by rednorters, on Flickr

night and day
by rednorters, on Flickr

As always, thanks for looking (y)

Some snaps.

Kentmere 400@200, 1:100 rodinal 55mins

7700545490_050242b0e3_c.jpg

7700543932_fa7f0c4774_c.jpg

7700543020_934763a96b_c.jpg

7700539904_37584b3c6b_c.jpg

7700541862_cb061611e7_c.jpg

Some from the holga, on tri-x developed in good old rodinal

Last edited:
@Mel - lovely shots! I've always wanted to take a pic of the bridge at Shoreditch station, kept forgetting my camera...

7704163548_13087103c1_b.jpg

Not sure why I like this...just do..
7704159136_4bf8fe7cac_b.jpg

Most of these were taken on the day I bought the Canonet QL17, in Edinburgh. I've been waiting all week to get this roll back; apparently, my order just missed the Tuesday BW run, and they didn't do another until yesterday. It's also my first roll of TMax100. I must say, the whole set looked gorgeous when I opened the scans; nicely balanced, low grain and pretty sharp. I was quite pleased with my first rangefinder efforts, particularly since the shutter is stiff and has a very long travel that I am finding hard to manage (I can see the camera moving as I try to shoot!). I've been having DOUBTS about this camera, but these results are pretty good; I guess I should keep trying...

The path round Blackwood Pond was badly flooded:

---_0104.jpg

View of Arthur's Seat from the summit of Blackwod Hill

---_0114.jpg

Newhaven Harbour

---_0122.jpg

Abandoned!

---_0124.jpg

Water of Leith...

---_0130.jpg

Chris, they look very good to me. Love the tones on the first and last.
Abandoned...these shots always seem to suit film.
Canon is doing well..(y)

First image from my Walker SF45 'plastic fantastic'

Image of Venford Dam in Dartmoor National Park with water spilling over the top taken on the 3rd August 2012. This dam rarely spills after June which is testament to the very wet summer we have had so far this year. I am fortunate to be able to shoot from this location as it is not accessible to the general public.

This image was actually a bit of a mistake as I had taken a 75mm Super Angulon lens with me to enable me to get the whole Dam in the image but was unable to get it to mount on the camera. I found out after I had returned home that I had had the bellows incorrectly installed which caused the recessed board to catch. Another lesson learnt.

The exposure was made with Tmax 100 at f64 with 4x 1/4 second exposures to try to catch the water flowing equally over all four spillways.

Venford Dam spilling (Dartmoor National Park) by Ed Bray, on Flickr

Chris, they look very good to me. Love the tones on the first and last.
Abandoned...these shots always seem to suit film.
Canon is doing well..(y)

Thanks Trevor. Yes, I do like the result, it's just the camera I'm at odds with!

First image from my Walker SF45 'plastic fantastic'

Image of Venford Dam in Dartmoor National Park with water spilling over the top taken on the 3rd August 2012. This dam rarely spills after June which is testament to the very wet summer we have had so far this year. I am fortunate to be able to shoot from this location as it is not accessible to the general public.

The exposure was made with Tmax 100 at f64 with 4x 1/4 second exposures to try to catch the water flowing equally over all four spillways.

Ed, I really liked this, but I'm not sure I understood the technique. Was that four quarter second exposures from the same spot on the same frame, or four separate shots you've combined in PP?

So this was my first go with Provia 100F transparency film on the Pentax. I was pretty happy with these results; not unlike the roll of Sensia I tried earlier, and much more accessible than the Velvia 100 that I'll report on soon.

Pistyll Rhaedr waterfall, mid Wales (I think I might have given up trying for "long" exposures at this point)

017.jpg

Footpath near Kenilworth...

019.jpg

Abbey Fields, with some quite nice clouds!

034.jpg

So that worked out alright, I think!

I'm going to winge about Velvia in naboo's thread on the topic!

Ed, I really liked this, but I'm not sure I understood the technique. Was that four quarter second exposures from the same spot on the same frame, or four separate shots you've combined in PP?

Hi Chris, it is four seperate 1/4 second exposures on the same sheet of film at f64. The required exposure was 1 second at f64, you can, provided you don't move anything shoot 1x 1 sec, 2x 1/2 second, 4x 1/4 second or even 8x 1/8 second exposures or any comparable number so you could also do it with 1x 1/2 sec and 2x 1/4 sec.

Why would you do this? Well, it can show movement in the water but with less blowing out of highlights, it can also (as I used it for) allow you to determine where parts of your moving subject will be.

The water was only just spilling over the top of the dam, the wind was blowing from left to right across the dam (as we look) this meant that most of the water was spilling over the LH spillway (again as we look at the screen) but with spurts spilling over the other spillways dependant on the strength of the wind. By building up the exposure required with multiple exposures I was able to wait until there was good coverage across all the spillways before tripping the shutter. Once I had good coverage across the bottom of the spillways I then shot the remaining exposures working my way up the dam when the water was reasonably spaced right across the face.

I hope this makes sense, if not I'll try and explain it more succinctly.

Chris. Liking the Abbey Fields. I know I'd LOVE it on Velvia...sorry mate..(I'm shooting a bit of Provia, really finding it hard not to think Velvia)

Sure is. Gets pretty busy in the Summer.

27740005CS5.jpg

27740006CS5.jpg

27740007CS5.jpg

(y):thumbsdown:

Richard. Colours look pretty life like. I struggle with the 28mm and buildings. Often getting the converging verticals too pronounced. You've got the composition right. Seems the trick is to get in close.
Sorry, Laura Ashley/Waitrose doesn't do it for me.

A few images from a Mamiya C-330f that I happened to pick up at the weekend.

As usual the film used was a Kodak Ektar and developed at home with tetenal C-41.

Thanks for looking, Steve.

Harting Church.

7727168316_9fd17ed9d6_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Austin.

7727167994_ddb66a06a5_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

harting village.

7727168160_01d3ef6589_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

A few images from a Mamiya C-330f that I happened to pick up at the weekend.

As usual the film used was a Kodak Ektar and developed at home with tetenal C-41.

Thanks for looking, Steve.

Nice, Steve. Are the colours deliberately restrained? Is it the Ektar (I've not used it yet)? The developing process?

Nice, Steve. Are the colours deliberately restrained? Is it the Ektar (I've not used it yet)? The developing process?

No Chris not diliberate, film developed in tetenal as per instructions for 3 mins 15 seconds and 4 mins blix..then scanned and re-sized for uploading.

I didn't do much in PP as I think are about the same as I remember when I took them.

So this was my first go with Provia 100F transparency film on the Pentax...

Footpath near Kenilworth...

Abbey Fields, with some quite nice clouds!

034.jpg

This is the first film where I started taking notes of the exposure (mid-roll), and I've just finished transcribing these into Aperture. The results are interesting. The Footpath shot was f/11 at 1/250; spot on the f/16 at 1/125 for ISO 100 film that the Sunny 16 rule suggests. However the previous shot in very similar conditions chose f/11 at 1/125, around a stop over-exposed.

The Abbey Fields shot I left in this reply above was also f/11 at 1/125, and I noted "Sunny bright, quite hard shadows". So I reckon that's over-exposed by a stop.

I also noted, on closer inspection, that the Provia hadn't done a whole lot better than the Velvia on some of the shadows. I found myself pulling right back on the shadows slider in many shots, as I spotted the "horrid coloured net effect". You can see it a bit in the loss of any shadow detail in the tree bang central above (I've now pulled back on the shadow slider for this one as well, of course not showing up in this previously-uploaded image). So maybe I should forgive the Velvia 100 a bit more (see the post on Naboo's "First velvia" thread, where I was asking vainly for advice on exposing Velvia better, http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4868791&postcount=24).

Last edited:
This is the first film where I started taking notes of the exposure (mid-roll), and I've just finished transcribing these into Aperture. The results are interesting. The Footpath shot was f/11 at 1/250; spot on the f/16 at 1/125 for ISO 100 film that the Sunny 16 rule suggests. However the previous shot in very similar conditions chose f/11 at 1/125, around a stop over-exposed.

The Abbey Fields shot I left in this reply above was also f/11 at 1/125, and I noted "Sunny bright, quite hard shadows". So I reckon that's over-exposed by a stop.

I also noted, on closer inspection, that the Provia hadn't done a whole lot better than the Velvia on some of the shadows. I found myself pulling right back on the shadows slider in many shots, as I spotted the "horrid coloured net effect". You can see it a bit in the loss of any shadow detail in the tree bang central above (I've now pulled back on the shadow slider for this one as well, of course not showing up in this previously-uploaded image). So maybe I should forgive the Velvia 100 a bit more (see the post on Naboo's "First velvia" thread, where I was asking vainly for advice on exposing Velvia better, http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4868791&postcount=24).

Love the clouds in this one, Chris. :love:

....but the greens don't look very "clean" if that makes sense. I don't know if it is the developing or if you have done some post processing which has made them look a bit dull.It is almost as if there is a mist masking the definition whereas the clouds are well defined.

Heather

Love the clouds in this one, Chris. :love:

....but the greens don't look very "clean" if that makes sense. I don't know if it is the developing or if you have done some post processing which has made them look a bit dull.It is almost as if there is a mist masking the definition whereas the clouds are well defined.

Heather

Yes, I agree Heather. Subsequently, I've pulled back on the shadow slider, which gives a bit more definition to the grass and gets rid of the "net" effect in the trees (at the expense of making them much darker, too dark really). I also added a bit of saturation, which helped. Hey, am I trying to turn Provia into Velvia? :wacky:

This is all one big learning experience for me! :thinking:

Thanks for the comments Trevor, yes I wish those buildings had been occupied by Harrods and Rolex. :)

That very good shot of an old church in Harting looks similar to a church in Hertfordshire....this one is about 900 years old.

flek41000px-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back