Show us yer film shots then!

If as you said you shot at 2 stops OVER -- how is it that you said the results were UNDER ? My New York photos were all good on,outdated Delta 100 .
That’s what the lab said. Tri-X shot at 1600 in aperture priority and asked to process + 2 stops which they said they did. Even they commented that they were under exposed.

A few of the shots on this roll are a little underexposed (although this one is fine). Not sure if the battery is fading and the P30 isn't metering correctly, or if it's because I loaded the film too quickly after taking it from the fridge. Not all shots are affected though.

Pentax P30T
Rikenon 50mm f/2
Kodak Colorplus

FILM - Walk-In Service
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Very nice Nige. Careful tidy composition really adds a nice polish to your images.

Nice shot Nige, good find

That’s what the lab said. Tri-X shot at 1600 in aperture priority and asked to process + 2 stops which they said they did. Even they commented that they were under exposed.

Am I understanding this right?

You shot it at 1600 which will, of course, under expose 2 stops.

The lab knew this and developed for 1600 but said the film was under exposed.

They must, then, have meant it was more than 2 stops under.

Is that right?

Are there old ruins of a castle, abbey or church etc nearby as in the old days people used to nick the good stones for parts of their houses, walls etc.
No, it’s in the centre of a village amongst houses of a similar age. In fact, I don’t think it’s been abandoned for very long as there are electricity cables to the buildings. There are planning applications in for (sympathetic) renovations/house conversion.

Am I understanding this right?

You shot it at 1600 which will, of course, under expose 2 stops.

The lab knew this and developed for 1600 but said the film was under exposed.

They must, then, have meant it was more than 2 stops under.

Is that right?

Yes that’s right. I shot at 1600 and told the lab to develop 2 stops over & marked the canisters to make sure they knew they were 1600.

They said some of the images were a little dark.

I understand from reading quite a bit online that that’s what is needed when shooting in this way. I shot in aperture prioroty.

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong but it's not clear what the lab means by "a little dark"

This is their actual comment -

“Please note despite both rolls being pushed 2 stops they still appear a little underexposed.“

No real clues.

This is their actual comment -

“Please note despite both rolls being pushed 2 stops they still appear a little underexposed.“

No real clues.

What about ringing them up?

Also, have you got the negatives back, and if so, how do they look?

Wibbly --- did you have the 'Exposure Compensation' turned on as well ? Maybe you had it set to 'Minus' exposure as well as setting 1600 ASA on the ASA dial ? In 'original Post' you said you shot 2 stops OVER by the way so that would be rating film at 100 ASA ----

What about ringing them up?

Also, have you got the negatives back, and if so, how do they look?

Haven’t spoken to them. Still waiting for negs back. Will have a look when they are.

Wibbly --- did you have the 'Exposure Compensation' turned on as well ? Maybe you had it set to 'Minus' exposure as well as setting 1600 ASA on the ASA dial ? In 'original Post' you said you shot 2 stops OVER by the way so that would be rating film at 100 ASA ----

No EC, just shot in aperture priority with no other adjustment. I think in my original post I used the wrong terminology - still getting the hang of this film stuff :D

Ha Ha ! I'm still 'getting the hang' of all this DIGITAL STUFF !!

Beautiful!

Can I just ask - how do you manage to keep the black borders intact and visible around the photo for all 4 borders? Using my Epson V550 the default film holder seems to partially mask at least one side of the picture so my borders are 'incomplete' so to say. I tried laying the negative directly on the glass and I do get the borders but the image quality is very compromised (I get newton rings).

But I'm probably just being silly and perhaps you don't use a flatbed at all!

Again, thanks for sharing this stunning shot.

Rolleicord Vb & Ilford HP5 plus:

Llyn Ogwen 2 by Fraser White, on Flickr

Beautiful!

Can I just ask - how do you manage to keep the black borders intact and visible around the photo for all 4 borders? Using my Epson V550 the default film holder seems to partially mask at least one side of the picture so my borders are 'incomplete' so to say. I tried laying the negative directly on the glass and I do get the borders but the image quality is very compromised (I get newton rings).

I think Fraser has put a border round it in Photoshop. (y)

Fantastic shot too Fraser, I bet you're pleased with your new camera.

Last edited:
Beautiful!

@Mr Badger is correct - the border is just added in Photoshop; I'm not clever enough to do anything else, although I was going to scan a film frame to use as a border on some of the images, this can be done on the flat bed then used as a frame.

As the four of us discussed at the Nantwich meet-up, it would be interesting to compare the Rolleicord Vb against a similar spec Yashica TLR. However, we'd have to use the same film, shoot the same subject/s at the same time, using a tripod and focussing on the same point at the same shutter speed and same f-stop, and then send the films in the same batch to the same lab and ask for a high-res scan of each film to get something approaching a 'like-for-like' comparison. So there's a challenge for a fine evening next summer... followed by a few beers if we choose a suitable location! :)

In the meantime, here's a shot taken on a Yashinon lensed Yashica 635 TLR on Fuji Neopan Acros 100 and home scanned on an Epson V600 flatbed - click to view in Flickr at larger size.

I've never used Fuji Neopan Acros 100 but I might now, lovely tones and fine grain in that when viewed large on flickr @Mr Badger
It's lovely stuff, or rather was; sadly Fuji saw fit to discontinue it, so if you can find some at a reasonable price then make hay while the sun shines. :( I managed to squirrel a few packs of 120 away in the freezer, but I'm rationing myself to make it last as long as I can. I suspect that if the suggested 'shoot out' ever happens then it might be on XP2 shot at 200 ISO instead.

Edit: Clashed with Chris' post above.

Last edited:
Annndddd Google tells me they just discontinued it :(

Still available on eBay in 35mm, £39.99 for a 5 pack. Definitely worth getting some in Chris, it's one of my favourites as it has a lovely creamy quality and very little grain.

Yes I was mooching though ebay but £8 a roll needs a bit of working-up-to :)

AG Photographic shows it at £6.55/roll (ex post). 120 is £28.95 for 5.

Sadly, it is out of stock.:(

The HP5 isn't the sharpest film around but I do like its 'gritty' qualities. (It was the only 400 ISO film I had as well.)

As the four of us discussed at the Nantwich meet-up, it would be interesting to compare the Rolleicord Vb against a similar spec Yashica TLR. However, we'd have to use the same film, shoot the same subject/s at the same time, using a tripod and focussing on the same point at the same shutter speed and same f-stop, and then send the films in the same batch to the same lab and ask for a high-res scan of each film to get something approaching a 'like-for-like' comparison. So there's a challenge for a fine evening next summer... followed by a few beers if we choose a suitable location! :)

In the meantime, here's a shot taken on a Yashinon lensed Yashica 635 TLR on Fuji Neopan Acros 100 and home scanned on an Epson V600 flatbed - click to view in Flickr at larger size.

Would also have to shoot a colour film to see how colours are rendered :)

It could get complex!

And even then, you'd only be comparing specific examples of the cameras. If one was ever so slghtly off focus, the result wouldn't reflect the camera. You should really get then all cleaned, serviced and lens/focusing checked and calibrated if needed. :D

Back